LegacyGT.com

The official 2020 Legacy thread

aac0036

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One thing I find absolutely stupid is the Legacy Sport 2020 doesn't have the 2.4DIT but it's the only one that has SI-Drive...

I thought everyone pretty much agreed that SI Drive was stupid. No?

I've been considering the 2016 Pilot, since they are in low $20k's, but your feedback makes me wanna wait for Ascent to get into that price range :lol:.

Every Honda I've worked on made me question why people love them so much. Subaru, while has a painful to work on boxer motor, designs other components to be easy to work on (like wheel bearings are a breeze on 2005+ cars).

Well, there's a few things at play here.

First off, there's no CarPlay. I would strongly advise against buying a car that has no CarPlay or Android Auto available because, simply put, even if you don't use it, someone buying a car when you're done with it in a few years is going to expect it.

I dabbled with the idea of privately selling my 2011 Outback when I was shopping a few months ago, and I had a few people contact me but were pretty miffed about no streaming bluetooth audio or USB and no touchscreen. The touchscreen I could roll my eyes about because it is, after all, nearly an 8 year old car... but the streaming bluetooth or USB connection to connect with is pretty ubiquitous now.

Secondly, the EarthDreams 3.5L V6 has a timing belt. That's a substantial cost down the road, assuming the prophetic "direct injection" carbon buildup doesn't take it out first, before the interval.

I'm sure it's an average car for what its intended purpose is - hauling people or cargo or both simultaneously, for those that won't be found in a minivan despite it being much more utilitarian. Again, I've had less than stellar experiences with the Pilot in the snow, but I will say this: I'm spoiled. I'm on my third Subie now, and they really are legendary in the snow.

I believe the newer Pilots also have LED lights, and I've already had to replace the OEM halogen bulbs in the Pilot as mentioned earlier... Personally, I like the brighter white and like the throw pattern compared to my 2011 Outback's halogen pattern.

I'd also strongly suggest that if you go this route to get the Honda Sensing package. Again, it's only around $1000 extra, but it's one of those things I think people are going to EXPECT from your car.

Kind of like my streaming bluetooth conundrum: spend a little extra *now* and get some use out of it yourself, or deduct the same amount at time of trade-in.

We're also talking apples and oranges. A Legacy is a totally different class of vehicle. I love the idea of a Legacy - maybe even a Plug-in Hybrid or EV Legacy if they can nail down the technology - but the rear seats are too small for me, I hit my head of the roof.

While the Ascent did have some issues, they seem to be few and far removed from the general statistic - probably a bad batch of transmissions or something.

If I was in the market today, my very first choice would probably be an Ascent Premium with one of those option packages for the push-button start. Those are going to be a great purchase once they start coming in CPO in the next year or two...

Pilot1226 I thank you very much for the feedback, and the timing belt deal is what seals the deal against the Pilot in my opinion.

aac0036 is correct, we went off topic, thus I replied in more detail in the Ascent thread instead: https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2019-subaru-ascent-mid-sized-suv-true-3-row-vehicle-262483.html?p=5880953

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Back on topic:

Shouldn't the non-Sport variants of the Legacy have SI-Drive also? From what I understand, the Sport Plus is EXCLUSIVE to the Sport trim, but the others still have Sport and "Intelligent" modes. Unless this is something that's specific to the Forester.

It's also worth noting that I believe the Touring and Sport modes get Paddle Shifters in the Forester. I'm imagining that this is the same for the Legacy going forward. The only time I've used the Paddles on "purpose" was during snow, where I'd forced the car to stay in 2nd gear to help with slowing. That being said, the Forester has a "Low" you can put the car into from the main shifter, and you also can enable the dual X mode (deep snow or snow depending on what you pick.)

Back on topic:

Shouldn't the non-Sport variants of the Legacy have SI-Drive also? From what I understand, the Sport Plus is EXCLUSIVE to the Sport trim, but the others still have Sport and "Intelligent" modes. Unless this is something that's specific to the Forester.

It's also worth noting that I believe the Touring and Sport modes get Paddle Shifters in the Forester. I'm imagining that this is the same for the Legacy going forward. The only time I've used the Paddles on "purpose" was during snow, where I'd forced the car to stay in 2nd gear to help with slowing. That being said, the Forester has a "Low" you can put the car into from the main shifter, and you also can enable the dual X mode (deep snow or snow depending on what you pick.)

It is Subaru being Subaru. It depends on the market but 4th gen Legacies GT and 3.0Rs dating back to 2006 have always had paddle shifters if I am not mistaken. My 05 GT had +/- buttons on the steering wheel.

Regarding SI-Drive, I recall a post from SOA-Blog on NASIOC stating, US buyers did not want to pay for it.

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=21489524&postcount=167

I think this will be first Legacy to get SI-Drive since the 09 GT's and 3.0Rs.

• I Donated
It is Subaru being Subaru. It depends on the market but 4th gen Legacies GT and 3.0Rs dating back to 2006 have always had paddle shifters if I am not mistaken. My 05 GT had +/- buttons on the steering wheel.

05-07 had the buttons, 08-09 had paddles. It changed when they put in the redesigned wheel in 08.

05-07 had the buttons, 08-09 had paddles. It changed when they put in the redesigned wheel in 08 completely stopped caring WTF any enthusiast thinks and just started making money.

fify!!! :lol: LOUD

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

05-07 had the buttons, 08-09 had paddles. It changed when they put in the redesigned wheel in 08.

Maybe you are correct. The steering wheel jugged my memory. No more Momo...

I recall test driving a 4th Gen in 2007 while waiting for service. That car with the paddles and the SI-Drive nob must have been an 08.

True, it was whether you loved your pet or your Subaru more. It was an infinite loop that led to mass confusion and massive sales at the same time. Buy a pet, buy a Subaru. But now you bought a newer Subaru than your pet.... uh-oh... that's not good, buy another pet. OH SHIT! :eek: Now I don't have a newer Subaru for that pet... buy another new Subaru for the new pet. Repeat.

Pure. Marketing. Genius. :lol:

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

• I Donated
True, it was whether you loved your pet or your Subaru more. It was an infinite loop that led to mass confusion and massive sales at the same time. Buy a pet, buy a Subaru. But now you bought a newer Subaru than your pet.... uh-oh... that's not good, buy another pet. OH SHIT! :eek: Now I don't have a newer Subaru for that pet... buy another new Subaru for the new pet. Repeat.

Pure. Marketing. Genius. :lol:

I mean, I was referring to boring ugly cars with CVTs, but... sure? :lol:

Archived