LegacyGT.com

The official 2020 Legacy thread

aac0036

• I Donated
It was a valid complaint in 2010.

So it's not now? :lol:

In the grand scheme of things I can deal with pulling the bumper cover ever 4 years or so to replace bulbs.

Maybe every 2 years, if you do them both at the same time. (That was the other nice thing about the 4th gen. Replace each bulb as it burns out. No need to waste bulb life because there's so much labor involved.) Unless you never drive with the lights on. Personally, I always keep my lights on, for safety reasons. Luckily I've never owned a 5th gen.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No it's not. The liner doesn't move easily, and without taking it off completely, it's still a tight squeeze. Why do you think Subaru started covering them under an extended warranty?

It shouldn't take an hour to replace a headlight bulb. It's a dumb design. Stop trying to defend Subaru on it. At least they have reasons for their other design decisions to appeal to mainstream buyers, as much as I dislike those. There's no good reason for this one.

Just cause you find something difficult doesn't mean others do. :rolleyes:

I still remember reading all the bitching about it before I had to change the bulbs for the first time. Went out removed a few pins, pulled the liner to the side reached up and swapped it. I thought, what the hell was everyone complaining about.

• I Donated

I still remember reading all the bitching about it before I had to change the bulbs for the first time. Went out removed a few pins, pulled the liner to the side reached up and swapped it. I thought, what the hell was everyone complaining about.

Lucky you, I guess.

I rebuilt the engine on my 05 LGT. I have remodeled bathrooms. I still think doing a headlight bulb on my dad's 2010 Outback is a PITA. I outright refused to do the marker lights for him. I hated it that much.

If it takes more than 5 minutes to replace a bulb it's too long. Bulbs shall be possible to be replaced by an average person without any tools.

453747.png

Hate to stay on topic, but I saw the 2020 Legacy this weekend at an auto show, and it's a pretty nice move forward from the 2019. It's a nice looking car. Aside from it not being available with a manual, the 2.0 DI turbo could be the closest thing they've made to a GT since. But thinking about my 2011 Legacy with 100k miles and all the recent problems I've had with it -- leaking cam seal at 95k, wheel bearing at 85k, wheel bearing at 95k, clutch currently in need of replacement, sticking starter issue that has been discussed in the forums -- I got to liking the AWD Buick Regal TourX wagon at the show, also with a 2.0 turbo. Yeah, Buick. Don't laugh until you check one out. The owner reviews I've read seem to love them. I've driven Subarus for a long time, but starting to lose interest. My current one is nickel-and-diming me and the quality-control issues I've been reading about don't bode well for their current lineup. Edited by copyboy311

Hate to stay on topic, but I saw the 2020 Legacy this weekend at an auto show, and it's a pretty nice move forward from the 2019. It's a nice looking car. Aside from it not being available with a manual, the 2.0 DI turbo could be the closest thing they've made to a GT since. But thinking about my 2011 Legacy with 100k miles and all the recent problems I've had with it -- leaking cam seal at 95k, wheel bearing at 85k, wheel bearing at 95k, clutch currently in need of replacement, sticking starter issue that has been discussed in the forums -- I got to liking the AWD Buick Regal TourX wagon at the show, also with a 2.0 turbo. Yeah, Buick. Don't laugh until you check one out. The owner reviews I've read seem to love them. I've driven Subarus for a long time, but starting to lose interest. My current one is nickel-and-diming me and the quality-control issues I've been reading about don't bode well for their current lineup.

I'm not laughing at you for looking at a Buick. I'm laughing at you for calling the 2.4T a 2.0T, calling it similar to the GT (it's not, more like the 3.0/3.6R), that you're calling a wearing clutch at 100K miles an issue.

The cam seal and wheel bearings? Sure, annoying, but not crazy or unheard of. The car is 8 years old ... shit wears out.

So 5 years later, they couldn't figure out how to do the same thing?

Yeah, okay. :lol:

Correct. Nothing makes more sense than regressive engineering. It's why IC engines have slowly moved back to steam and hopefully horses soon enough. It's also why we have zero electric cars on the road because that would be progressive engineering... OH WAIT!!! NONE OF THAT IS TRUE! :lol: LOUD

It was a valid complaint in 2010. The stylist have won with their form over maintenance of the headlight design. I am not arguing for difficult to replace headlights, just noting the design trend of the last 10 years. I definitely was pretty happy to find out my 2009 OB didn't require pulling the front bumper when my headlight was burnt out in January. In the grand scheme of things I can deal with pulling the bumper cover ever 4 years or so to replace bulbs.

Volvo figured it out in 2011 so someone somewhere learned something better than all those other manufactures. :iam: You remove the whole headlight with two pulls on a locking mechanism. :confused:

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

I'm not laughing at you for looking at a Buick. I'm laughing at you for calling the 2.4T a 2.0T, calling it similar to the GT (it's not, more like the 3.0/3.6R), that you're calling a wearing clutch at 100K miles an issue.

The cam seal and wheel bearings? Sure, annoying, but not crazy or unheard of. The car is 8 years old ... shit wears out.

Pardon my inattention to detail on the 2.4. My main point was that the 2020 is a nice looking car and that performance is up over the last model. Regarding the clutch, I sold my 1995 Impreza with 140k miles on it with the original clutch. My 2003 Legacy's clutch didn't wear out till 180k miles. So for my 2011 to crap out at 100k is a bit surprising given that my driving habits haven't changed. I suppose there is the difference of there being one more gear on the current car, and therefore a bit more clutching over the years, but still ...

• I Donated
Pardon my inattention to detail on the 2.4. My main point was that the 2020 is a nice looking car and that performance is up over the last model. Regarding the clutch, I sold my 1995 Impreza with 140k miles on it with the original clutch. My 2003 Legacy's clutch didn't wear out till 180k miles. So for my 2011 to crap out at 100k is a bit surprising given that my driving habits haven't changed. I suppose there is the difference of there being one more gear on the current car, and therefore a bit more clutching over the years, but still ...
The clutch on my parents' Outback went out (sudden catastrophic failure with no warning) at 54k. My theory was that the clutch hydraulic system had issues. They live on a hill, so they are a bit harder on clutches than the average owner, but no clutch in any other car has lasted them less than 115k.

I am constantly hearing my co-workers and friends complain about the replacing the headlights, it isn't just a Subaru design. Just yesterday, my friend was complaining about struggling to replace the headlight in his wife's Honda Pilot and how he had go through the wheel well. Those have box styling. It is not 2005.

That's not accurate, but it is a pain in the butt. At least, for my 2016 Pilot EX-L. For the record, I dislike the Honda Pilot very much, but it's not my car, and the Mrs. says it is a good fit for what she wants it to do, so not losing any sleep over it. Though I would like to get her into an Ascent, since it's a safer car.

I had to remove the air intake/filter box and an interior trim piece in order to access the bulbs, but it wasn't hard.

Now the FOG lights, man, those are a beast to get to. We're talking about dropping bumper fascia.

One of those things that I was blissfully ignorant of in my Gen4 Outback. One of those things that are simply an immediate veto item.

Honestly, I love my Forester, but if they don't have a hybrid variant available in 3 years when my lease is up, I'll probably get a Rav 4 hybrid. That's the hippie screaming in me, since the R4H gets 40+ mpg city.

Edited by Pilot1226

That's not accurate, but it is a pain in the butt. At least, for my 2016 Pilot EX-L. For the record, I dislike the Honda Pilot very much, but it's not my car, and the Mrs. says it is a good fit for what she wants it to do, so not losing any sleep over it. Though I would like to get her into an Ascent, since it's a safer car....

I've been considering the 2016 Pilot, since they are in low $20k's, but your feedback makes me wanna wait for Ascent to get into that price range :lol:.

Every Honda I've worked on made me question why people love them so much. Subaru, while has a painful to work on boxer motor, designs other components to be easy to work on (like wheel bearings are a breeze on 2005+ cars).

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

That's not accurate, but it is a pain in the butt. At least, for my 2016 Pilot EX-L. I had to remove the air intake/filter box and an interior trim piece in order to access the bulbs, but it wasn't hard.

I may have misinterpreted my friend's description. My friend has the mechanic skill set of a quick lube shop. His wife has a 2013 Honda Pilot.

I may have misinterpreted my friend's description. My friend has the mechanic skill set of a quick lube shop. His wife has a 2013 Honda Pilot.

It's probably a difference of doing it the way the manual recommends and then how it can be done. The tribeca also is a pita to change the lightbulbs in but it is doable without removing them or going into the wheel well.

As for your previous point it is industry wide, I have had to change bulbs on a 2007 saturn through the wheel well as well, it is definitely not just a Subaru thing. But in reality lights don't fail quite as often as they used to back in the sealed beam days.

Never had to change the HIDs on my Legacy. My ‘06 and ‘09 BMWs had the access panels in the wheel well. My daughter’s ‘08 Buick is a pita. You have to remove parts and yank out the assembly then change the bulbs. My current car has LED lights and I prefer them.

I dont like the current LEDs on the 2019. High beams are auto or nothing and the things are often on when they should dim or dim when I need them on. The system isn't fast or accurate enough to give auto only control to the computer, imoh.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk