LegacyGT.com

STI Brembo's Front & Rear....Finally!!!

edmundu

My wife has an '05 Odyssey, and when we first picked it up, I was constantly overbraking. I was loving the Ody brakes, then when I switched to the Brembo setup, I was constantly overshooting turns & such, because I had to push sooo hard on the pedal to get a similar response I had in the LGT.

My cousin has a 325xi, and much like your Mini, they have great responsive brakes. But even he admits, my brakes have it allover his Beemer's. Trust me, you're gonna love them...

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

first, i've never understood and still can't comprehend the repeated statements that i've read that a BBK won't stop you any faster than stock or with a pad and maybe line upgrade. Are we talking at 9/10ths, right before ABS kicks in, or what?

As far as the stoptechs, I'm extremely happy with them, the rate of deceleration is much improved, feel of the pedal is a lot firmer. Which would lead be to think that I am stopping faster. ??? I do notice that once I'm stopped, if I press on the pedal, it still will sink down, but it's not as spongy as before.

Well at least in my book it was money justified for the BBK. I honestly don't think pads and lines would have done it for me. The braking action just feels more secure in in-town and freeway driving. Just do it and treat yourself to a BBK. :)

I do notice that once I'm stopped, if I press on the pedal, it still will sink down, but it's not as spongy as before.

I just flushed my brake fluid and replaced the lines. Same situation, pedal feel is SO much better but pedal still sinks to the floor when Im stopped. I want a new MC.

I just flushed my brake fluid and replaced the lines. Same situation, pedal feel is SO much better but pedal still sinks to the floor when Im stopped. I want a new MC.

Have you tried doing that without the engine running? It should be like a rock then, mine is. The reason your feeling the pedal sinking is due to the vacuum booster, not a defect in the MC.

with the engine off I can depress the pedal about 3/4. Its super spongy. Under normal driving it takes about 2 light pumps on average to get a positive feel from the pedal. Flushing the system has really helped this out and a lot of the spongyness has been removed, but its still nothing compared to the positive feel I got from my old honda. If the brake pedal on my friend's sti feels any better maybe I'll see about getting the MC from that.

• 1 month later...
The TWR Racing R160 kit was originally designed for WRX's, and not LGT's! When they were designing the kit, TWR moved the rotor outwards, in relation to the hub/backing plate, by like 10mm. Thereby allowing the stock dustshield to be retained! Stock WRX have solid rears, ours have vented. 10mm vs. 18mm. This difference is what threw off the calculations, and which ultimately required a new bracket to be made. Again, this is for fitting a TWR Racing R160 kit (to an LGT), which has nice 2pc rotors, w/billet aluminum hubs!

The Brembo R160 kit is not the same. It is a modded STI rotor(to fit 170mm parking brake), with a bracket, lines, & pads. Actually they aren't STI rotors, they do not have the black EDP coating, and also come slotted or drilled. They are also 1pc, and you need to trim/remove the backing plate/dustshield.

I hope that cleared it up! If not ask some more, if I can answer them, I'd be more than happy too!

Does the rear caliper bracket you had made up work with the The Brembo WRX R160 rear kit or does it work only with the TWR kit & rotors? Do you by chance know if Brembo's WRX R160 rear kit is a straight bolt-on for the Legacy GT of would it require a special caliper bracket as well?

I think that would mean that the Brembo rear kit won't fit the LGT or 06 WRX. The bracket is designed to adapt the USDM 180 backing plate to the USDM 160. I'm guessing the LGT and 06 WRX still use the 160? but with the 'JDM' 2 pot backing plate.

I also still wonder if the 06 wrx/LGT rear backing plate is the same as the USDM 180 backing plate (STi) - just on the 160 instead. ie if that were the case then you could maybe bolt the Brembo's straight up -albeit you'd still need that weird Brembo/Godspeed rotor.

Does the rear caliper bracket you had made up work with the The Brembo WRX R160 rear kit or does it work only with the TWR kit & rotors? Do you by chance know if Brembo's WRX R160 rear kit is a straight bolt-on for the Legacy GT of would it require a special caliper bracket as well?

Only with TWR's kit, as they relocate the rotor in relation to the hub. I believe they move the friction ring outboard by 10mm. This is enough so that you don't need to remove the dustshield, which is a nice bonus.

It should be, but my TWR kit was a bolt on for WRX's, and I wound up needing the caliper move inboard an extra 3mm. But this could also be due to the LGT running 18mm vented rear vs the WRX's 10mm solids.

Talking to Brembo would likely be your best bet. However, if you get the caliper's used, you can buy TWR's kit, some pads, and have a setup like mine which would be vastly superior to Brembo's 1pc kit. For about the same money ($1300).

Archived