LegacyGT.com

STI Brembo's Front & Rear....Finally!!!

edmundu

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Totally forgot to ask if you have tried the spare tire or will we have to get a 04 STi one.

Haven't tried it yet, but I keep meaning too! For a while, I didn't worry because I had stock rear brakes, but now with Brembo's all around, I really need to check fitment!!! Thanks for reminding me Leo...Also I pm'd you about the brackets, let me know....

NP, I need to get ahold of one if it doesn't

Good News!!! The stock LGT spare clears the front Brembo's!!! Didn't test the rears, since if it can clear the fronts, it automatically will clear the rears.

Here is proof:

LGT_spare.JPG.a47b2a95408212a17e316f37120b9eff.JPG

I actually drove around for like 3 months with only the fronts, and stock rears. No problems, and to be honest, probably 80% of the STI rear setup.

Don't get me wrong, they do make a difference! I know, because I had done this swap in stages:

1. Fronts Brembo's.

2. Upgrade Pads/Rotors in front only!

3. Install SS lines.

4. Fit rear Brembo's.

In each stage there was a notable change. Especially when the front Ferodo/Rotors went on, as well as when the rears finally went on. The ss lines, no doubt improved pedal feel, but nothing beats having fixed piston caliper's for brake response!

This combo that I have on right now, is superior to even a factory STI setup, due to the Rotors/Pads/Lines. I have always wondered why some guys would shell out the $$$ for brakes, and I now know why!!

This is without a doubt one of the best things I have done to my car. I use these everyday, and I am still amazed at how well they work. So effortlessly, I can throw just about anything at them, and I have.... 150-70 mph, repeatedly in succession, 3x, still no fade!

Sorry for the long rant, but this really is a crowning achievement for me, and I am very proud!

Forgot about wheel offset:

I have Rota SDR 17x7.5 et48 There is a running list on Nasioc that has specific wheels/offsets that are known to work!

Edmundu, do you plan on tracking your car? I would love to see the comparison of the two brake setups we both have on the track and get some feed back on how deep you can brake without fade in a 25 min session.

NASA is having HDPE event at http://www.virclub.com

You should sign up, I bet you would have a blast in using your brakes to catch people in the braking zones

here are the links

http://www.nasaracing.net/VIR_Feb_06/event.htm

http://www.nasaracing.net/memberships.htm

http://www.nasaracing.net/sched_regis.htm

Hope to see you there if you can make it, I really would like to see your brakes in action

Keefe

I'm kind of slow, so can you confirm this for me?

All you have to do to put on the front Brembos is replace the calipers? (Assuming of course, that you have rims that fit)

If so, that is an awesome upgrade.

+1

Or brembos w/ the wheels on the car!

I have pics of it with wheels in photo section under "My Legacy STI"...

I'll try to dig around and see if I have them. But they basically are 16mm thick, with the Caliper mounting ears offset negative and the lower hub mounting ears are offset in reverse of the others. So in effect this pulls the caliper inboard toward the car, to allow it to center over the rotor. Mine happened to be made from Ti, however, it normally would be made from T6-6061 Al.

Note: These bracket's are meant for TWR Racing's 2pc rotors! These are of different hub to rotor relation than OEM STi rotors or replacements.

• 3 weeks later...
Does the 7x17 5x100 ET55 wheels fit with the upgrade?

I would be inclined to say NO. It really isn't just the offset, but more of a face clearance to the wheel spokes. Look over on Nasioc, they have a running list of confirmed wheels...

• 2 weeks later...
Q for both Edmund and Andrew - after swapping the brakes out, does the pedal feel improve? What I mean is that the normal feel is half travel before 'bite'. Even with new pads, this stayed. I drove an '02 RS with StopTechs and this was the same feel. I think it might be related to the MC used on the basic WRX and LGT vs. the one on the STi.

hey edmundo, with your current brake setup do you notice under hard braking, and i do mean like slamming on the brakes, ABS intervention coming on a lot sooner than before?

Yes and No.

No because the size of the caliper piston's are extremely close to the oem's, amd the pad size is quite similar, well in the front anyway. The rear pads are a little larger, but they have a slightly smaller piston diameter which negates the larger pad, except that the new pad can hold/tolerate more heat! The rotors are a little bigger, but they do not greatly effect the trq generated.

Yes because the friction coefficient of the Ferodo pads are higher than oem. So technically, from really high speeds, they can engage the ABS much earlier if you just stomp on them. They also will engage ABS for a longer period, because they are able to operate at higher temps, plus they take longer to get to those temps to begin with because of the awesome curved vane floating 2pc rotors!

Like I have mentioned before, these brakes will not necessarily stop better than the OEM's, as long as all else being equal. But they will be able to do it repeatedly without fade, over & over again. Therein lies the biggest advantage to these BBK's. Well besides bling of course....

Q for both Edmund and Andrew - after swapping the brakes out, does the pedal feel improve? What I mean is that the normal feel is half travel before 'bite'. Even with new pads, this stayed. I drove an '02 RS with StopTechs and this was the same feel. I think it might be related to the MC used on the basic WRX and LGT vs. the one on the STi.

Ohhh, baby, wait til you put them on! HUGE difference as compared to stock. I just use my big toe to just barely squeeze the brake pedal, and I am really feeling the brakes grabbing. <--(This is with cold pads!) If you use the pedal pressure you do now, you will put yourself through the windshield, let alone the unsuspecting passenger...

I actually had my cousin drive the car with me as a passenger recently, and I knew he was about to stomp on the binder's and still the belt was starting to cut into my neck.

They really, really, really are that much better!

On the Stoptech's, were they the standard pads? Meaning they were Axxis Ultimates? Those pads aren't that great...

Sweet!! I'm used to the brakes on the Mini and they are 'right there'....no pedal travel needed for bite. I got a bit worried as the RS with StopTechs felt the same as my car with Cobb pads and SS lines, only better power once you stand on it. When I drive the Mini, I stop 10-20 ft short of the line since I'm used to braking in my LGT. :lol:

Archived