LegacyGT.com

STI Brembo's Front & Rear....Finally!!!

edmundu

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fronts pop right on! But you need wheels that can clear them, the stock wheels do not!

Rears are a different story! You can either go my route, or buy a Brembo GT kit, the diff between is I have 2pc rotors, with superior thermal capacity, and Ferodo ds2500 pads. The Brembo kit gives 1 pc, drilled or slotted, with no black coating on the hub, spelled will rust and look ugly. They cost about the same, give or take $100....

Oh, and the STI rear rotors, are as big as LGT fronts! Yeah, 315mm!

make note that is this a 2004 STi setup, not 2005.. some people around the boards are looking for the 5x114.3 bolt conversion for their GT in the process.

Keefe, so based on this, would the STi MY2006 Brembos be a straight bolt on to a MY06 Liberty STi ?

TIA

Ada///M.

What was the issue with the rear brackets? I assume that it was just a minor clearance issue since the part that mounts to the hub should be the same on the Legacy and WRX. Are those TWR 2-piece rotors? The whole setup looks really nice. And its OT, but what springs are those?

What was the issue with the rear brackets? I assume that it was just a minor clearance issue since the part that mounts to the hub should be the same on the Legacy and WRX. Are those TWR 2-piece rotors? The whole setup looks really nice. And its OT, but what springs are those?

They are TWR 2pc rotors, but the WRX starts off with solid 10mm rotors, and ours are 18mm, and TWR moves the rotor in relation to the hub, so this moving is needing to be a different amount by about 7-8mm. Hence why I had custom brackets made up from a thicker base stock.

They are the ION sport springs! I LOVE them! Excellent compromise, between all out performance and everyday comfort.

edmundu -

Bro, you know I'm highly jealous of your awesome LGT - Winky's much more muscular twin sister - she much more deserves the "STi" badging than my LGT, so I don't want you to take this the wrong way.....

But this thread needs a little lightening-up ;) so ---->

Have you thought about putting some of these "Brembo" brake-caliper covers over your real Brembos?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Caliper-Cover-Set-Brembo-Honda-Acura-Subaru-CIVIC-RSX_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33563QQitemZ8011381536QQrdZ1

:lol:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

edmundu -

Bro, you know I'm highly jealous of your awesome LGT - Winky's much more muscular twin sister - she much more deserves the "STi" badging than my LGT, so I don't want you to take this the wrong way.....

But this thread needs a little lightening-up ;) so ---->

Have you thought about putting some of these "Brembo" brake-caliper covers over your real Brembos?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Caliper-Cover-Set-Brembo-Honda-Acura-Subaru-CIVIC-RSX_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33563QQitemZ8011381536QQrdZ1

:lol:

Those are hot! But they look to small to clear, especially the fronts....:lol:

• 4 weeks later...

I want to make sweet sweet love to those brakes.:wub:

Oh they look so sick! Nice work man! I bet that thing sends you through the windshield it stops so well. I would love to do that mod to mine, but my wife would have my nads on a platter.

Very well done. Best mod I have seen on here yet.

So if they don't clear the stock wheel, what wheel and offset will they fit?

And, if you get only the fronts, is it a weird braking experience...and for just fronts do you have to change the wheels?

Man those look hot though...

Too bad they didn't come stock, I think I sure paid enough for em!:icon_evil

It's not just the offset, it is a combination of that and the spoke design. I can easily find a wheel with 35 offset that wouldn't clear, yet name a 50 offset wheel that would.

Your best bet is to go with a big wheel manufacturer who has done the testing. For example, Rays would list which of their TE37 would clear GDB brembo, vs G35 brembo vs EVO8 brembo vs regular subaru 4-pot (from 22-B). They get very specific, as a wheel that will fit some 4-pot would not fit another. Same thing goes for almost all their wheels including popular ones like CE28N. Work sort of does the same thing, difference being that their R-disk is guaranteed to clear all big calipers. BBS and Prodrive is the same way. If you can find a wheel that works on 04 GDB STi, then you are set.

For any other wheel manufacturer, you will need to call and ask... Give them some dimensions and see if they are willing to figure it out for you. Or you can just buy a wheel and find out :icon_bigg

So if they don't clear the stock wheel, what wheel and offset will they fit?

And, if you get only the fronts, is it a weird braking experience...and for just fronts do you have to change the wheels?

Man those look hot though...

Too bad they didn't come stock, I think I sure paid enough for em!:icon_evil

I actually drove around for like 3 months with only the fronts, and stock rears. No problems, and to be honest, probably 80% of the STI rear setup.

Don't get me wrong, they do make a difference! I know, because I had done this swap in stages:

1. Fronts Brembo's.

2. Upgrade Pads/Rotors in front only!

3. Install SS lines.

4. Fit rear Brembo's.

In each stage there was a notable change. Especially when the front Ferodo/Rotors went on, as well as when the rears finally went on. The ss lines, no doubt improved pedal feel, but nothing beats having fixed piston caliper's for brake response!

This combo that I have on right now, is superior to even a factory STI setup, due to the Rotors/Pads/Lines. I have always wondered why some guys would shell out the $$$ for brakes, and I now know why!!

This is without a doubt one of the best things I have done to my car. I use these everyday, and I am still amazed at how well they work. So effortlessly, I can throw just about anything at them, and I have.... 150-70 mph, repeatedly in succession, 3x, still no fade!

Sorry for the long rant, but this really is a crowning achievement for me, and I am very proud!

Forgot about wheel offset:

I have Rota SDR 17x7.5 et48 There is a running list on Nasioc that has specific wheels/offsets that are known to work!

that is very interesting.. i never knew that you could buy caliper covers to put fake-brembos on your car. i mean.. asside the fact that it wouldnt make any difference... well.. maybe extra weight to the extra sensitive... but it would be awesome for show. does anyone have more info on this??.. because im sure there are many out there that want the brembo brakes but not wanting to burn that amount of money.

• 2 weeks later...
They are TWR 2pc rotors, but the WRX starts off with solid 10mm rotors, and ours are 18mm, and TWR moves the rotor in relation to the hub, so this moving is needing to be a different amount by about 7-8mm. Hence why I had custom brackets made up from a thicker base stock.

They are the ION sport springs! I LOVE them! Excellent compromise, between all out performance and everyday comfort.

I'm just a little confused

You mentioned the STi brakes are not bolt on (the R160 kit) but then you said that the ion rotor has a slightly different offset (7-8 mm).

The Brembo R160 kit comes with the STi rear rotor modified to fit the smaller park brake assembly and a bracket to mount the caliper. Is this NOT bolt on to an LGT?

I'm just a little confused

You mentioned the STi brakes are not bolt on (the R160 kit) but then you said that the ion rotor has a slightly different offset (7-8 mm).

The Brembo R160 kit comes with the STi rear rotor modified to fit the smaller park brake assembly and a bracket to mount the caliper. Is this NOT bolt on to an LGT?

The TWR Racing R160 kit was originally designed for WRX's, and not LGT's! When they were designing the kit, TWR moved the rotor outwards, in relation to the hub/backing plate, by like 10mm. Thereby allowing the stock dustshield to be retained! Stock WRX have solid rears, ours have vented. 10mm vs. 18mm. This difference is what threw off the calculations, and which ultimately required a new bracket to be made. Again, this is for fitting a TWR Racing R160 kit (to an LGT), which has nice 2pc rotors, w/billet aluminum hubs!

The Brembo R160 kit is not the same. It is a modded STI rotor(to fit 170mm parking brake), with a bracket, lines, & pads. Actually they aren't STI rotors, they do not have the black EDP coating, and also come slotted or drilled. They are also 1pc, and you need to trim/remove the backing plate/dustshield.

I hope that cleared it up! If not ask some more, if I can answer them, I'd be more than happy too!

• 2 weeks later...
Edmundu, any chance TWR will make the correct bracket for our cars? If not, any chance you can have your shop make a couple of brackets? I have the calipers waiting to be installed and just need the damn bracket and rotor.

Edmundu, any chance TWR will make the correct bracket for our cars? If not, any chance you can have your shop make a couple of brackets? I have the calipers waiting to be installed and just need the damn bracket and rotor.

I can have the brackets made by the machine shop, no problem there! But, these were specifically for TWR 2pc rear rotors. Which are not the same as STI rotors. The difference being, on the TWR rotor, the actual friction ring is spaced farther outboard towards the wheel, than the STI. This is easily confirmed by trying to mount the STI rotors, they will necessatate trimming the splash shield/backing plate. But on my TWR setup, I do not need to! So the difference is about 10mm, I believe.

Leonardo,

If you have the TWR rotors or plan on getting them, then let me know, and I can get the brakcets made for you.

Yes, that is the route I'm taking!

I'll get the rotors as soon as I know the shop's timeline for the brackets. Will I also need to shim the bracket or can you tell them the correction required?

And your addy to send you the Postal Money Order for the brackets.

Thanks,

Archived