LegacyGT.com

Center Console Lid

I saw a couple of posts regarding the center console lid not staying closed, and that it relates to hinges being bent. Anyone know any more specifics on this? Or what specific hinge needs to be replaced?

Just in case:

I have a 2007 Legacy GT. The center console won't stay closed. I removed the latch and it looks to be in good condition. The mounts are self-tapped into plastic so there's no way to slide it back or forward to adjust where the latch goes. As far as I'm aware when I play around with it, the plastic latch simply does not lock onto the bottom portion of the center console. Anyone else troubleshoot this without going to the dealer? Any tips?

Are you telling us this is a real problem because gravity won't hold the cover down ?

I think my console cover hasn't latched in about 12 years. I find it not to be a problem, in fact I find it easier to open.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Well come on guys. He wants help with something that is his preference. Suppose after 10 years your armrest wouldnt stay up anymore.. prolly be annoying to you.

I personally can't stand having the armrest up I'm a tall guy and I don't fit right when it's up.

The goal here would be to offer the OP some advice not give him a hard time for having a prefrence that doesn't match yours

I saw a couple of posts regarding the center console lid not staying closed, and that it relates to hinges being bent. Anyone know any more specifics on this? Or what specific hinge needs to be replaced?

Just in case:

I have a 2007 Legacy GT. The center console won't stay closed. I removed the latch and it looks to be in good condition. The mounts are self-tapped into plastic so there's no way to slide it back or forward to adjust where the latch goes. As far as I'm aware when I play around with it, the plastic latch simply does not lock onto the bottom portion of the center console. Anyone else troubleshoot this without going to the dealer? Any tips?

Go to the partout section of this website, see a car with your same color interior and ask how much the lid is. Or go on ebay.

These cars are old. Old enough that there's plenty of them in junkyards/part outs that you can get a used part for pretty cheap (figure $20-30).

I know I know, the lid staying open shouldn't bother me... And for the most part it doesn't. But every now and then. It's like that one co-worker that you just want to work, that's how I feel about my console lid.

I don't want to sink to much money into buying parts without knowing what exactly needs to be changed to be aligned. I'll probably end up MacGyvering a piece of plastic to extend the latch. If I get around to it, and if it works, I'll let you all know.

Hahaha ^

I don't want to sink to much money into buying parts without knowing what exactly needs to be changed to be aligned. I'll probably end up MacGyvering a piece of plastic to extend the latch. If I get around to it, and if it works, I'll let you all know.

Sounds like something you could easily do a permanent fix to. The question is do you want to be able to raise it? Otherwise I'd say some superglue could do the trick:D

• 3 years later...

Wanted to post this last year, but for those who want their lid to close, this is the hinge that's jacked up:

57431750_armresthinge.thumb.JPG.fd1aa0d47289557d26b65dc5da888418.JPG

Mine would only move with extreme manual force, even after oiling it up. There was metal-on-metal grinding. Not sure what caused it, but in my quest to have a lid that closes I ended up having to buy a new armrest.

Thankfully to parts-bin engineering, it's still in stock and sold new. P/N J2010AG000JD. Able to find it on eBay for cheap sometimes (at least I did so last year).