LegacyGT.com

Dealership denied rusted brake line repair/recall. Smoking gun?

I don't see how SoA's handling of this doesn't risk them a class-action lawsuit.

If enough people's brake lines failed catastrophically, at speed, then I could see this being a real possibility.

Then again that's what these recalls are all about right? Whatever they deem the cheapest way to avoid doing nothing about a known defect.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
More practically, I can't imagine the risk is so minimal to them to think it's less expensive to not pay for these sorts of repairs than pay out an eventual lawsuit, especially considering how popular their vehicles are in areas like New England where rust is inevitable, and the damage it could have on their reputation of safety. But what do I know?

This brake line issue definitely isn't giving fuzzy feelings. My brake line burst when my fiancée was driving the car. It's just something that absolutely shouldn't happen. I understand when you're making millions of cars, a few cents per part adds up, but those brake lines f-cking suck.

More practically, I can't imagine the risk is so minimal to them to think it's less expensive to not pay for these sorts of repairs than pay out an eventual lawsuit, especially considering how popular their vehicles are in areas like New England where rust is inevitable, and the damage it could have on their reputation of safety. But what do I know?

It absolutely could, but you see what they are doing about it...

I don't see how SoA's handling of this doesn't risk them a class-action lawsuit.

I have to agree, may be if one of us was a Lawyer...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

My 1994 Legacy had the brake lines routed and designed the exact same way in the area of the junction block. One day it burst right by the junction block on my way home from a long trip, thankfully I was only about a 1 km from home when I came to a stop light and my brake peddle went to the floor.

I have a hard time believing they didn't know it was an issue back then as, like it said its exactly the same design. I'm sure there is a reason why it wasn't recalled or well known.

So clearly this is just a terrible design that for some reason they have kept for a long time. If you drive in any area that uses salt its just a matter of time before it fails. They will eventually all rust out.

I also think the recall was BS. Accord to my dealer both brake line recalls were done. But I don't see any evidence of a coating. Though at the end of the day all the coating is going to do is delay the inevitable.

Whats worse is in the recall doc it says "could perforate after 7 or more winter seasons" So for say an 09, problems with the brake line may start to show up as early as 2016 and likely if its not the worse case I'm sure it could go a few more years before bursting. So this issue will likely start to become more of an issue now as the cars are older.

This recall shouldn't just be a one time inspection, if they lines looked good enough to not have them replace in say 2015. They are still prone to rusting out and could potentially still rust out and burst say around 2020.

At the end of the day I never expect much from a company. I'm just going to be giving the lines a good coating of rust protection oil a couple times a year like I do on the rest of the car. I'll just be paying extra attention to that area as preventing the is basically all we can do.

Good luck on the fight. It seem ridiculous for subaru to deny repairing a vital safety device.

You guys are more eloquently saying what I've been feeling for the last week. Thanks for showing me how to sound stern but respectful about it.

I got an email back from Subaru (filled out their "email us" form on the website), see attached.

Still no call from the dealership regarding a loaner car, status of my car, etc. :confused::spin:

Original.thumb.JPG.33e5b49be9cb28698cde1b61bea80112.JPG

Email.JPG.6dcc617304419eda5c1139c067eb10ad.JPG

I called the dealer around 4 because I hadn't heard from them since Wednesday.

Me: Hi... Just calling to check the status on my car. It's probably the only Legacy on your lot with no brakes.

Dealer: Yep, hang on. (put me on hold)

Dealer: (guy that knows my case picks up) Hey Tom. You didn't get my voicemail yesterday?

Me: Uh... no? My desk is a cell phone dead spot at work. Sorry about that.

Dealer: Well, we got approval from Subaru to order the brake lines for your car. I'm hoping they'll be in Monday, maybe Tuesday.

Me: Well that's good news. Is there any way I could get a loaner car? That Legacy is my only car and I've been borrowing a beater shop truck from work but it's kind of frowned upon.

Dealer: I'll have to get back to you on that. I have all the loaners I need for today, tomorrow, and Monday already set aside...

Me: Okay...

That was pretty much it. I'm not sure the woman from SoA has called them yet regarding the email complaint I lodged but the guy seemed kind of sheepish when I stopped by to get my golf clubs out of the trunk.

After getting off the phone with them, I checked both my desk phone at work and my cell phone and no, there were no voicemails from the dealership. No email either.

This is all great news, but seriously, you don't have a loaner vehicle for me? At this rate, I should be getting a 0 miles STI loaner car for the garbage I've been through with this place. It's part of a recall, not someone dropping a car off for a brake job or tires. Considering where this dealer/customer relationship is, I kind of feel like I should have been put at the top of the list for a loaner.

Still good news though that they'll fix the brakes.

Absolutely. The rest I can do on my own even if it is a hassle. I have a coworker who wants to do it for $200 plus parts which is fine by me. We all know pulling the oil pan sucks.

Its funny that they dont compensate you for denying you originally and making you do all the work..

I'm hoping SoA steps up with that but I'm not holding my breath. I'm happy they're doing the brake line stuff so I'll call that a win.

Call the dealer and/or SOA and ask them if they will reimburse you for a car rental since dealer doesn't have a loaner available to you. I did that once, iirc dealer's internal rate was $40 per day at that time and as long as the rental was under the rate they didn't care.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

we got approval from Subaru to order the brake lines for your car.

assuming ordering and "paying for the replacement" is the same thing ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Welp, I called the dealership yesterday per their request Friday and had to leave a message. They didn't call back til this morning and alas, still no loaner car. They did tell me that the parts were in and that the tech was going to get started today.

SoA emailed me back yesterday and I wrote a fairly displeased email to them. Someone else suggested I mention that NHTSA would want to know that this dealership tried to charge me for recall work and that their wax fix appeared to be inadequate considering I was in for the recall twice and it still failed. We'll see what happens when they get back to me but SoA said they would be happy to call the dealership and see what's going on.

I wonder if that's why this dealership's communication is getting worse.

In any event, I ordered a new OEM oil pan ($82.50 with free shipping on Amazon), gasket maker, and a new oil cooler gasket in prep for repairing everything this weekend. I still need to get oil, an oil filter, and coolant.

email.JPG.61d299344807e207f383d96d4242a642.JPG

Good luck, hope this will get SoA to wake up. It's not like they haven't replaced some brake lines under warranty or what ever you call it.

Good luck, hope this will get SoA to wake up. It's not like they haven't replaced some brake lines under warranty or what ever you call it.

Thanks.

I just hope all my effort helps someone else out when this happens. Had my friend not found that NHTSA document, I'd be up isht creek without a paddle and my wallet $1800 lighter. I'm just trying to pass it on again and give people the heads up to check out their car when the dealership tries to deny it to make sure the dealership is correct. My entire interaction just furthers the thought of them (dealerships) in general as "stealerships."

Weren't you the one with a brake line failure at 220k and no questions asked, they replaced it? I'm at 140k.

Yes, they replaced all steel brake line in my wagon Nov 2016, 9 hour job didn't cost me anything. I have owned the car since new, had the recalls done.

The dealership called to let me know the brakes were done and my car was ready for pickup. Unfortunately I was golfing and they were closed by the time I had finished, so I'll bribe a coworker with food to take me over there tomorrow on our lunch break.

Wow, sorry to see all the issues you had with this man!

My story is a little better, but certainly a story!

I took my 08 Legacy in for the Airbag recall, only one I ever got notice on. Once there they call me and tell me there are 6 other recalls that need performed and they had to order parts. They gave me a 2017 Legacy "loaner" and I rolled on. A week later I go back to get my car (we were moving to Florida that day) so I get in the car to pull it up on the U-Haul trailer and see pry marks all over the dash trim and center bezel, a quarter size tear in my passenger side dash and nothing works in the center!!! No radio, no A/C. No clock, nothing!! I go back in and ask them "what the hell?"

She (the service manager) takes it back and says "give us an hour, we'll take care of it"

20 mins later they bring it around and the only thing fixed was the radio and center console items were not on. She said it was "just a pinched wire, happens all the time"

Then she goes on to tell me they can't fix the dash and would need to call in an outside repair. I had to be on the road for a 19 hour drive and told her Sorry! I don't have time. She then gives me her card and tells me to take it to the local Subaru dealer once I settle in in Florida. Fast forward a month and I take it in. They have the car for 2 months!!! Had to special order the dash 3 times from Subaru Japan, they kept coming in damaged. Luckily my car is all good now, and done correctly. No issues at all from them performing the recall and replacing the brake lines either!

Archived