LegacyGT.com

What Did You Do To Your 6th Gen Today Thread - Vol 3

No one in their right mind believes that ANY AT fluid is lifetime, unless you consider "lifetime" as one of the following, depending on who you ask:

a. The end of the warranty period

b. 100k miles

c. 150k miles

Well said

1. What you did sounds great and those temperatures will probably result in the ability for extended CVTF change intervals. Great job!

I hope you open up that filter and share its contents with us one day.

How long do you plan on running that filter before changing it out?

I plan on running the filter for 30K which is recommended from the manufacturer. I don't have a problem with that since I believe these only have clutch packs for forward and reverse transition, which the car shouldn't even be moving for that transition. So almost no clutch material should be present.

It might be a year and a half before you can see what's in that filter, but I'll surely open it and let you see the contents.

I know there is the pickup filter down at the pan and an internal cartridge filter as well, but I have more of a peace of mind running this external filter that can at least be changed.

2. No one in their right mind believes that ANY AT fluid is lifetime, unless you consider "lifetime" as one of the following, depending on who you ask:

a. The end of the warranty period

b. 100k miles

c. 150k miles

Again, great job!

Thank you and absolutely agree with what you've said above.

My theory is that Subaru engineering and marketing made a "drug deal" so to say. The engineers basically said that the car's will make it at least past the 100k (if not more) with "lifetime fluid" to get them out of warranty before there's any possibility of CVT failure given that the vehicle is driven under "reasonable conditions". At the same time marketing agreed to let there be fill and drain plugs for the front and rear diffs along with the transmission for those people that know better than to believe in the "lifetime fluid" BS and want to actually maintain the car if they plan to keep them for an extended period of time, say 15 to 20 years, which is my plan for both my wife's 2017 Forester and my 2016 Legacy.

Riddle me this, if they were truly "lifetime fluids", why would they even put drain and fill plugs on any of the normally serviceable parts to begin with i.e. front, rear diff and the transmission? Why not have those units sealed so the end user can't have a realistic capability of servicing them if they're truly "lifetime fluids"?

Again, just my opinion and theory on the matter.

Edited by Matt_75

Riddle me this, if they were truly "lifetime fluids", why would they even put drain and fill plugs on any of the normally serviceable parts to begin with i.e. front, rear diff and the transmission? Why not have those units sealed so the end user can't have a realistic capability of servicing them if they're truly "lifetime fluids"?

Aaah Riddler, welcome to the cynics club. ;););)

P.S. say hello to Steve McGarrett for me

Again, just my opinion and theory on the matter.

Well, there is always the chance for leaks or some other method of underfill, including from the factory.

However, your point still stands and Subaru likely added the ability to perform a D&F for our intended purpose - maintenance of a limited-life fluid.

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

I've used the blue gasket that comes with the Fumoto valves on multiple vehicles without any issues whatsoever.

@BeardedWon, it loos like your valve is up and out of the way, just like my two Subies ('14 FXT and '15 Legacy), so I doubt the black clip is necessary. Well, unless it's super easy to remove at each oil change; I guess it doesn't hurt if that's the case.

'15 FB25

... & put on my Blue Paddle Shifters...]

What brand/model are those paddle shifter extensions? Are they plastic or anodised aluminium (they appear to be aluminium)? Do they attach to the existing paddle shifters with 3M VHB double sided tape or with grub screws? Are you happy with the quality & how they fit?

I realise there are a lot of different brands around but I don’t mind the look of those (in black).

1. Changed the motor oil. Out goes Magnatec 5W-20 and in goes Magnatec 0W-20.

——-I didn’t change the Fram Ultra filter. This will be its second OFI.

2. Lubed all latches, pivot points and springs.

——- Spray cans of white lithium grease for pivot points and silicone for springs and latches

3. Air: all tires still at 36# cold, even after a few thousand miles, including a 2k miles road trip.

4. Battery: hooked up the DC power supply for an overnight 14.4VDC charge

I think that’s it

'15 FB25

What brand/model are those paddle shifter extensions? Are they plastic or anodised aluminium (they appear to be aluminium)? Do they attach to the existing paddle shifters with 3M VHB double sided tape or with grub screws? Are you happy with the quality & how they fit?

I realise there are a lot of different brands around but I don’t mind the look of those (in black).

I got them off eBay they are aluminum and install with 3m double sided. They feel well made and click in nicely with the tape. I’ve only driven it once with them and allows me to shift while holding the wheel in a more comfortable position.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F372765708543

I got them off eBay they are aluminum and install with 3m double sided. They feel well made and click in nicely with the tape.

Thanks for that information & link. Going by the photos on the website they look well made.

It looks like I can have any colour as long as it’s blue.

Just get the Kenstyle Paddles.. They replace the stock ones and are longer..

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Just get the Kenstyle Paddles.. They replace the stock ones and are longer..

No argument there. I would get them if they were cheaper when purchased from Australia. At $275.72 AUD + import duties (not sure how much the import duties are) from japanparts.com they are a bit expensive just to see if we like them.

I would rather try the cheaper versions first. If we aren’t happy with those they can easily be removed & it won’t be an expensive exercise.

I have fairly large hands & I don’t know what clearance there is between the shifter & the inside larger section of the steering wheel. I want to comfortably grip the wheel & not hit the shifters.

I also don’t know what markings on the wiper & headlight stalks are blocked by the top part of the shifter from our two different driving positions. I’m not the only one that drives our Outback so whatever changes I make have to be mutually acceptable.

No argument there. I would get them if they were cheaper when purchased from Australia. At $275.72 AUD + import duties (not sure how much the import duties are) from japanparts.com they are a bit expensive just to see if we like them.

I would rather try the cheaper versions first. If we aren’t happy with those they can easily be removed & it won’t be an expensive exercise.

I have fairly large hands & I don’t know what clearance there is between the shifter & the inside larger section of the steering wheel. I want to comfortably grip the wheel & not hit the shifters.

I also don’t know what markings on the wiper & headlight stalks are blocked by the top part of the shifter from our two different driving positions. I’m not the only one that drives our Outback so whatever changes I make have to be mutually acceptable.

Try AliExpress