LegacyGT.com

98 Leggy Build

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking good,

I have not seen that style of Stainless scuff guard before. All the ones I have are full length with larger LEGACY letters and no gold inlay.

There are three lengths of grill.

-Short which runs from the start of Gen2 up to and including 96

-Medium that runs from 97 to completion of Gen2 and is found on JDM/AUDM and I think EU spec cars

-Tall which runs from 97 to completion of Gen2 on North American Spec cars and the JDM Lancaster

It looks like you have the short grill on yours.

If you are going to colour code your side mouldings I can sell you a set of JDM flush ones if you are interested. I also have a set of colour matched mirrors (I have the same Spruce Metallic Green on my wagon) that I wont need as I am upgrading to JDM power fold units.

Look forward to seeing where you are going to take this build.

Ryan

Looking good,

I have not seen that style of Stainless scuff guard before. All the ones I have are full length with larger LEGACY letters and no gold inlay.

There are three lengths of grill.

-Short which runs from the start of Gen2 up to and including 96

-Medium that runs from 97 to completion of Gen2 and is found on JDM/AUDM and I think EU spec cars

-Tall which runs from 97 to completion of Gen2 on North American Spec cars and the JDM Lancaster

It looks like you have the short grill on yours.

If you are going to colour code your side mouldings I can sell you a set of JDM flush ones if you are interested. I also have a set of colour matched mirrors (I have the same Spruce Metallic Green on my wagon) that I wont need as I am upgrading to JDM power fold units.

Look forward to seeing where you are going to take this build.

Ryan

Would definitely be interested I will pm you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jesus dude, that is a good looking car!

You should do a writeup on polishing :D

It’s gonna be a really good looking car soon though once all my 10000000 parts coming in that currently being mailed. I’m gonna know the ups guy like he’s my brother soon here.

Polishing wise. I literally just clay bared it. And then hit it with 3m yellow compound buffed in by hand followed with meguiars caranuba wax by hand. I could get it a lot shinier with a machine but don’t have one at my house. Only at my dads property. Anyone could drastically improve their paint by a hand polish and wax

Not a bad thought. It's been a long time since mine has been shiny like that. Maybe if I had been doing something to care for the finish I wouldn't have failing clear coat on the hood...

I know subaru (not as bad as Honda) has poor clear coats. I’ve seen paint fade on 2013 cars. That’s only five years. And they are PNW cars where we barely get sun. Wouldn’t want to see a car from So Cal. My paint on my wrx was peeling on the wing

In AZ, where Chaz and I live, we don't have many clear coat issues after a short period of time. Down in Phoenix, however, cars start fading after 5 years unless they use really good clear coat or they've been garaged. Many manufacturers are switching to a 3 stage paint which requires no clear coat.

I ordered a more fitting jdm grill Incase this idea sucks and it turns out garbage but I’m still going along as if I didn’t.

Bondoglass:

7ecbcdd992a8a255e40724c98dca09f5.jpg

Checking fitment:

15460284596968fec18db5d3c9e3ec19.jpg

First skim coat of bondo. Most was sanded off. Just trying to level this bad boy out:

261ce221b765c4b487c9d754bf0e7b54.jpg

Just primed it:

93dd902e8fd304db36630eaa8c42b09e.jpg

I have learned a ton about fiberglass while doing this and I would do it Totally different a second time. But good to learn.

Replaced these rear cargo cover catches because they were broken.

Broken:

b3be1e074af283ba472d05ec3ff0e1e1.jpg

Don’t have any pictures of it after but you can imagine.

Waiting on parts forever it seems. International shipping is slow. So is domestic apparently

I grab those cover catches every time I am at the wreckers and remember to do so. They brake often if you get a little to ham fisted with the cover.

What grill did you end up ordering?

Ryan

Yeah I need to get some bits so I’ll grab them in the future. Seem cheap and age hasn’t done them favors. This is the grill I ordered.

fdc8aeeb92c82a4f331c1c26480d02c9.jpg

Got my bg5 wheel in mail today:

f43a6f7fca4e1f8dfe55cda4ac18879f.jpg

Had to widen shroud just a little

12379266e473d5aaf7d6b2ef3dcf5125.jpg

Amazing what a wheel can do to an interior:

Before:

981a136ea3d1681bbe6ef052333d930e.jpg

After:

f2be63a838fa37fad9b4ecdeb1e9b3bb.jpg

37e49eeffc81d0dddd5ba8fba915265a.jpg

Yes I had to ditch clockspring. So no more cruise control. But I never use that anyway. Also self canceling turn signals is gone but again I usually click those off manually. More engaging driving. This new wheel is substantially smaller. Maybe 1-1.25in less in diameter.

You'd be surprised at the times I see people on Facebook groups that people ask how to bypass the airbag in their cars to install a different wheel and someone tells them to probe the airbag with a multimeter to find the resistance. My response usually is: "I guarantee that's the last thing you'll be doing with your hands for a while" Ah...natural selection at it's finest. Next thing you'll know, we'll be taking the warning labels off of everything and then the real fun will begin.

Oem flaps. I just want to say subaru used the dumbest clips that strip themselves in the rubber clips. Metal and plastic don’t mix. I had to cut the heads off of every screw to get the oem flaps off. Need to do a polish on the paint where they were.

b20ede2ebfda4f38085721d3d7a82b87.jpg

Gorilla flaps. Used them on all my cars and they are the best

3b0c564db4b1c6767e66244a957c5937.jpg

ed5cd322af5e44329d3c2a93b98a13a7.jpg

9317354fa90c19c159c12d0fe09373b1.jpg

5e93924d146cb898a4bcf0cc5f7090e8.jpg

So dirty inside the fender liners too. Literally a cereal box worth of sand was behind the oem flaps. Dumb. It also rained the whole time I installed these and I got soaked. Had to take the rear wheels off to install. Typical though.

Rock n roll

Lo0king really good. I have been such a slacker on getting my JDM fogs installed on account of how much work they take. Been trying to source a Limited bumper for some time and don't want to go through the hassle just to then swap the bumpers out. Although with how well they turned out on yours I might move it up the to do list.

Are you going to wire them so both lights are on when you hit the fog light switch?

Lo0king really good. I have been such a slacker on getting my JDM fogs installed on account of how much work they take. Been trying to source a Limited bumper for some time and don't want to go through the hassle just to then swap the bumpers out. Although with how well they turned out on yours I might move it up the to do list.

Are you going to wire them so both lights are on when you hit the fog light switch?

Yeah it’s a big job. I didn’t mount them yet. I just trimmed out the bumper openings so they would fit. I need to figure out how I am going to mount them. I will likely wire them so they both turn on simultaneously yes.

af9c2a74297f3191e53c55d5337c283f.jpg

Cat sighting

So far I trimmed the bumper and then trimmed the jdm brackets. I need to see how other people have mounted them. I just have them sitting in there now. I had to cut the factory bumper bar as well to get them to fit. Lots of work indeed