LegacyGT.com

Cleaning Eyesight Camera

As the title suggests, I would like to clean the lens of the cameras. I'm fully aware this is not advisable per the owner's manual. I often drive dusty roads and have cleaned my dash board many times, but have yet to clean the cameras. I have noticed that Eyesight does not pick up lane markings like it used to.

Have any of you cleaned the lens and if so, with what? I have cleaned very sensitive optical equipment with a microfiber cloth and lens cleaner while in the military. I cannot see how this is any different.

It is very strange, the camera technology is a safety feature. How can this function properly if it cannot see clearly. If I hadn’t cleaned my windshield since buying the car, I would not currently be able to see. This is essentially the except same thing.

I have noticed the system not picking up lane markings as it did when it was new. And although I cannot prove this, I’m convinced it has slowed down acquiring vehicles ahead of me while using ACC.

If the car is in warranty and you're having issues with EyeSight, take it to the dealer... The cameras are entirely inside of the vehicle though, so I don't see what trying to clean the lenses would do...

Thanks for the replies guys. I think some of you are missing my point. I understand with the cameras being inside the car, they are not exposed to the elements and road grime. We all know that our dashboards, rear view mirrors and interior gets dirty and dusty. I clean my interior at least once a month. If we never clean the cameras, they will collect the same dirt and dust that we clean off of our dashes, inside of windshields, etc. and even our glasses as they become dirty... My EyeSight systems is not acting up, I feel it’s just dirty and not seeing as it’s designed, obviously without proof.

I’m going to call Subaru of America and attempt to get a more solid answer other than never clean them. That just does not make any sense to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did not find much, but did find this posted by a dealer which seems to follow suit with the thread:

Spring is here and with spring comes cleaning! Here are some tips and tricks to keeping your eyesight equipped vehicle clean.

The eyesight system is a great driver assistance tool equipped in your Subaru. The cameras positioned on either side of your rear-view mirror require special attention when cleaning the interior of your vehicle.

It is important to make sure the camera lens by your rear-view mirror are NEVER touched. Even the smallest debris can result in the eyesight system to function improperly. As there is no way to clean the camera lens, making sure there is no damage or contamination to the lens is very important.

I wouldn't believe everything a dealer posts on their website, especially by their marketing person who is running service specials.

If you honestly believe that eyesight is operating less effectively, you should go to your dealer and have them look at it.

I don't know if there is room to get a cleaning cloth across the lenses to wipe them.

I found this though, if you wish to try yourself:

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f77/eyesight-cover-removal-w-rattle-fix-703745/

Getting a can of condensed air like you'd use to blow out a computer keyboard, and maybe use that?

This would be the only self cleaning method I would try and probably only after it was out of warranty.

So Subaru is pretty clear that they don't want the camera lenses/filters touched - in the service manual it states:

Do not touch the lens filter on the stereo camera. If touched, replace the lens hood.

The haze which develops on glass with time (particularly in a new car where everything is still offgassing) might not interfere with the camera - no idea what part of the spectrum it's using, but if it can handle direct sunlight and still work just fine, a little haze might not be a big deal...

I would think if there were debris/dust up there, you could blow it out gently with compressed air, but the service manual really stresses not to touch (dirt and misalignment are their two concerns, it seems)

Do not touch the lens filter on the stereo camera. If touched, replace the lens hood.

The problem with that is that the "lens hood" is not available separately ... i.e. it doesn't have its own part number in Subaru's system.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

It is important to make sure the camera lens by your rear-view mirror are NEVER touched. Even the smallest debris can result in the eyesight system to function improperly.[/i]

I feel this validates my point. There is no way to keep dust and dirt off of the lens. After a few years, it will have debris on the lens. Doesn’t seem right that they recommended never cleaning it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suspect (but just a guess) that Subaru does not want you to clean the camera because you might move it out of alignment. That being said, how about spraying it with a can of compressed air that the nerds use to clean their keyboards. That should remove any debris without moving the position of the camera

• 7 months later...
I have noticed the same problem as others, that is, Eyesight cutting out after dark, usually during local driving. I have carefully kept the inside and outside of the windshield clean, but that has not helped. On a recent night drive north on I95 from northern VA to NJ there was no problem until I got off the highway in NJ. I asked the dealer's service rep about cleaning the camera lenses and she said that no one had ever asked and she knew nothing about it. That doesn't seem right. I will try the compressed air approach and see if that helps. I sure hope that Subaru announces a fix for this. The system has prevented a few (daytime) accidents already and I am very happy that I purchased it.

Archived