LegacyGT.com

Who has remote start?

I’m considering getting the factory OEM one installed, just wondering how you like it?

Also any problems with it?

Lastly when you open your door with the new push to start for the 6th gen does it still stop and have to restart the engine?

Are you talking about pushbutton start or remote start? Pushbutton start is a factory-only option, but remote start is an accessory that can be added by a dealer. (Remote start can be added to either pushbutton-start or key-start vehicles.)

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Any idea what the range is?

Not that I can quantify. Line of sight it's a good distance but it's not great through even mild barriers, like house walls. When you have aftermarket that can reach a mile and more it's lacking.

I see, how long does the car stays on when you use th remote start?

15 minutes I believe.

Runs 15 minutes and shuts off, then you can restart it and it will run for 10 minutes.after that it will not start at all and the range is ok but should be in the line of site. My daughter just had a compustar installed and the range is great, through most walls plus has all other features on the remote such as door locks, trunk and it does let you know it has started.

I see, how long does the car stays on when you use th remote start?

Not sure of the '18, but this is the case for 15-17

If you get the newer model that is a separate remote, it is supposed to have 400ft range. Didn't really measure, but it works from about a block away.

With this model, you'll need to start the car again when you get in.

It seems painful in the beginning, but you'll get used to it.

The run time is configurable. 3, 5, 10 or 15 min. Push the button 10 time open and close the door 10 times kind of deal.

I usually set to 10 min in the summer and 15 in the winter months.

The remote beeps and lights up. Different beeps and lights to tell you whats going on. You'll need to read the handy sheet a few time before you remember the ones you run into most of the time.

I have a 17 with Remote start and love it. Not to confuse anything but both the key FOB and the remote start radio FOB (separate) will start the vehicle. Key FOB is very limited range. However the dedicated module seems to work from as far away and through glass, walls etc. as I would ever want to be and start the car. The cars does shut down when you open the door- big deal. Not sure what the advantage of after market would be but many on here like them.

Is the factory one one-way? I believe for my '15 it is, that's why I haven't done it yet. I'm seriously leaning towards aftermarket, both for features, range, etc. and for financial reasons.

Also, the whole door thing is annoying as hell. My wife's Outlander has a factory RS and a push button start. You open the door, the engine shuts off, and you need to start it again. We've had the car for almost two years now and it's still annoying.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

...You open the door, the engine shuts off, and you need to start it again. We've had the car for almost two years now and it's still annoying...

I have to agree that I'd find that annoying also. I've been planning on having the dealer instal the "factory" starter working off the key but the idea of the engine stopping when you open the door is stupid. Why would they do that? I've had several aftermarket remote starters and they only stop the engine if you touch the brake or try to shift without first inserting the key. At -30, why use precious battery charge forcing a second start?

The other thing I've noticed in the first 5 months of ownership is that it's really easy to inadvertently hit the unlock button on the key without noticing. I like the two-way remote I had on my '05; one glance and I could confirm the car was locked. Not so with the factory remot key.

Is the factory one one-way? I believe for my '15 it is, that's why I haven't done it yet. I'm seriously leaning towards aftermarket, both for features, range, etc. and for financial reasons.

Also, the whole door thing is annoying as hell. My wife's Outlander has a factory RS and a push button start. You open the door, the engine shuts off, and you need to start it again. We've had the car for almost two years now and it's still annoying.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Factory remote start fob is two-way in the sense that it will let you know if the start command went through by double beeping and lighting up green.

Just got it installed on both our legacy's and both the 17" and 18" shut off when you open the door.

My remote start for my 2011 Outback was about $410 after a coupon applied. The range is excellent, and it has two-way feedback so I know it started. I love the thing.

I believe the newer Subarus have the functionality built into the single fob also. Use the long-range remote if you're far away, but you should be able to use the keyless thing with a push start.

I have a factory remote start and its ok. If I was to do over I would get aftermarket, better range and it can be programmed to how long you want it to run.

I agree, if I were to do it all over again I would go with the aftermarket options that allow you to remote start via a phone app.

Archived