LegacyGT.com

*** Official LegacyGT.com 1320 List ***

j.reed

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm about to head out to the strip for my first time tonight. I have a 5eat, stage 2 & meth. I have never really launched my car so I'm wondering how high people are able to rev while braking...without breaking something :rolleyes:

Obviously I realize the answer depends on a lot of factors so maybe a better question is how high do other auto guys recommend reving?

Hold the brake down as hard as possible and ease on the throttle till the car starts to creep forward......then let off just a titch.

When the last light goes yellow.... let off the brake and mash the gas. (This is called brake torquing)

Don't hold it too long like this, though... or you'll cook your transmission fluid.

I kinda dont understand these limited slip 5mt's, I have put one or two, give or take 20-30, black stripes down on pavement and there has always been 2 tire tracks. And I am 99% sure they are coming from the front and not the rear.. But yet going around corners sometimes I can here a wheel spinning, but I stay on the same track. So it seems like one wheel is spinning. But then sometimes I can get both rear wheels loose accelerating around a corner. Doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me. I am sure others understand it though.

I'm about to head out to the strip for my first time tonight. I have a 5eat, stage 2 & meth. I have never really launched my car so I'm wondering how high people are able to rev while braking...without breaking something :rolleyes:

Obviously I realize the answer depends on a lot of factors so maybe a better question is how high do other auto guys recommend reving?

do you have a tranny cooler or anything else other than stock? if not, than do NOT torque brake your car over 2800 rpms!!!

i may boost and launch at 18 psi, but i also have the VB upgrage, tranny cooler and most likely cooler temps than you.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

do you have a tranny cooler or anything else other than stock? if not, than do NOT torque brake your car over 2800 rpms!!!

i may boost and launch at 18 psi, but i also have the VB upgrage, tranny cooler and most likely cooler temps than you.

I do have a tranny cooler and it's because I read all about your tranny issues. So, I have you to thank for my relative success at the track tonight and coming home with a working trans. :wub:

I did end up brake torqueing (although probably not as high as I could have). Here are there results.

Mid-Michigan Motorplex/LGT 5EAT Stage 2 custom tuned + meth/water injection/in car thermometer said 62 degrees F/ 1/4= 13.718 @ 100.82/ 60' = 2.037/ 1/8 = 8.828

This was my first time to the track so I'm pretty happy with the results. I definitely see some room for improvement in that 60' time judging from what so many others have done. Thoughts?

those are great times! good job! looks like the weather was cooperating with you. :) and don't push those launches too much. i'm pretty sure they were what lent a big part in my tranny slippage after the STI swap.

are you manual shifting or leaving it in sport shift mode?

*edit*

was going to ask what mods you have to run those numbers, but i see you're running meth too. :D i want to add that for next year, just don't know if i want to spend the $$$. how do you like your kit and which one do you have?

I tried shifting myself but could not do better than sport mode.

I really like my kit. I have a coolingmist trunkmount. This was the first time I have really pushed my car since I got the kit installed last spring and I have to say I was amazed.

I made 14 runs tonight, the last six of which had zero cool down time in between runs other than the drive back to the staging area. When I finally stopped and popped the hood to cool things down I was stunned to find that my intercooler (stock btw) was not quite icy, but definitely at the temp. of any beer I would drink. It was absolutely cold.

After sitting in the lot turned off for about ten minutes I went back over to the car and felt the intercooler again and found that it had heated up quite a bit from the engine heat soaking in. It was quite a testament to the effectiveness of meth/water injection.

I do have a tranny cooler and it's because I read all about your tranny issues. So, I have you to thank for my relative success at the track tonight and coming home with a working trans. :wub:

I did end up brake torqueing (although probably not as high as I could have). Here are there results.

Mid-Michigan Motorplex/LGT 5EAT Stage 2 custom tuned + meth/water injection/in car thermometer said 62 degrees F/ 1/4= 13.718 @ 100.82/ 60' = 2.037/ 1/8 = 8.828

This was my first time to the track so I'm pretty happy with the results. I definitely see some room for improvement in that 60' time judging from what so many others have done. Thoughts?

any idea what rpm you launched at?

Honestly I wasn't really paying attention to the rpms because I was just trying to watch the lights and get a good fast start. (It's harder than I thought it would be)

I just tried to follow mccorry's advice as best as I could (see a few posts above).

MD, on your set up, you'll want to manual shift. on the stock turbo, it's better to use the sport shift (what i found). hold the brake HARD. then add gas long enough to get your boost up and the last amber light goes on, move your left foot off the brake and your foot full throttle on the gas! actually my tech showed me how to basically do a full throttle launch, full throttle being as i'm letting off the gas and boosting about 18psi to launch. i thought the car would go boom, but with the tranny cooler and VB upgrade, the car hauls off the line, virtually NO turbo lag. i just have to remember to shift so i don't hit the rev limiter!

• 2 weeks later...

Nutter / 13.640@100.77 / 1.987 60' / GLD, WI / 5MT / 2006 Sedan / Gutted Stock Downpipe & Midpipe, STG2 ProTune (P&L) / 64f / 10/17/2006

Nearly full tank of 93oct gas, spare, jack, junk and everything still in the car and Im 240lbs naked :eek:

I picked up 1 tenth and almost 4mph on a ProTune by P&L, Im sure with some of the crap out of my car a 1/4 tank of gas and a harder launch a 13.5 would be easy.

John

PS. AKLGT is my gutted hero.

pps. Im car 425

LGT100.jpg.b67cc273b6802ba25f43bef34e68b3f0.jpg

those are nice times. :) and nothing like saying you're on all STOCK PARTS with a tune. :D i bet if you work on that shifting and launch, you should be down to 13.4-13.5. nice to see you also broke 100 mph. never could do that on my gutted pipes an 5EAT. :(

you guys have a track night? i was wondering who the other car was since the times were rather similar. looks like some of the runs i made this year. nice job!

A few of us just wanted to get some runs in before the track close's for the year. Gotta say the Legacy is harder to launch then my old 03 WRX, I could get 1.8 60' all day and every once in a while a 1.7. With the Legacy the tires just dont seem to want to break loose even on the stock RE92's at 40psi ! so the clutch takes the abuse :(

I may give another go next year if I ever swap out my up-pipe for a gutted one (I have one ready just too lazy to install it).

John

aklgt... what do you think about short shifting 3rd to 4th. i was shifting from 3rd to 4th at red line. nutter suggested shifting from 3rd to 4th at 6k instead. i tried it but didnt really notice any change. since our stock turbos run outa gas way up in the rpms, is it better to shift early to get into your power band or to stay in it longer and use the extra TQ of the lower gear for a few more rpms?

i actually stay in 3rd gear all the way through. though i can get a higher trap speed by shifting up, i lose ET due to the time it takes to actually shift and i lose that power band. I'd redline it as much as possible so when you do shift, you continue through your power/torque curves. however, if you wait too long, you'll hit the rev limited and that SUCKS ASS!!! :mad:

*edit* you have an MT so your shifts might be different, however i don't see how it would change regarding shifting at redline vs below.

Archived