LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 5th gen today?? -V4

recent things

replaced left front calipers

installed Miromoto HID kit

cleaned out engine bay

Still have a slight hesitation and rich smell when starting up cold, might end up replacing intake manifold as I have pretty much replaced everything else and still have a slight amount of pirate air (arree)...

^Those are Borla ProXS 40358 2-1/2" universals that I had a shop fab up lines and flanges for, so they bolt on to the stock exhaust.

I am thinking of having a custom 2-1/2" Y and branches made so the entire exhaust is 2-1/2".

Today I changed my car’s map lights out for LEDs, later i’m changing the dome too. I’m also thinking about adding LEDs to the interior trunk lights and the light under the driver’s door.

Definitely worthwhile to do all of them, especially if you bought one of those kits that has all of em in there. It's one of those simple upgrades that makes a big difference. I keep halfheartedly thinking about a way to wire up a 2nd light in to the trunk so I can actually see what's in there too...

Today I changed my car’s map lights out for LEDs, later i’m changing the dome too. I’m also thinking about adding LEDs to the interior trunk lights and the light under the driver’s door.

I changed all the lights to LED's except the brake lights. Don't do the brake lights or it might make you go into limp mode.

The brakelights will be fine as long as you have a resistor in the circuit. By far the easiest one is the VLEDs with the VLR resistor. Check the following posts from my build thread.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5775085&postcount=6

https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5775235&postcount=13

https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5778741&postcount=26

The brakelights will be fine as long as you have a resistor in the circuit. By far the easiest one is the VLEDs with the VLR resistor. Check the following posts from my build thread.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5775085&postcount=6

https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5775235&postcount=13

https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5778741&postcount=26

used these below and no issues, they are not cheap but they are good...

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A77U5P0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

simple plug and play, used the amber ones for the turn signals (I have a tap-to-turn flasher)

used these below and no issues, they are not cheap but they are good...

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A77U5P0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

simple plug and play, used the amber ones for the turn signals (I have a tap-to-turn flasher)

His car is a 2010, those will still give him errors. There was changes made to the 2013+ that eliminated some of the troubles with LED brake lights. He'll need a resistor no matter the bulb.

...so I just got my car back after getting some serious hail damage repaired. My car looks good, but now I'm having some shifter strangeness. It's now pretty tricky to get into 5th and 6t. Also I messed around w/it b/c it seemed too easy to or there was too much play over on the right side w/the higher gears and reverse. I can shift into reverse w/o the lockout (in a parking lot)...like it isn't working or it was forced into reverse w/o the lockout at some point. I took the shifter surround off to see if anything was broken, but everything appears to be in order. Also with cover off everything appears to operate normally. Anyone have any thoughts about what is going on here?

...so I just got my car back after getting some serious hail damage repaired. My car looks good, but now I'm having some shifter strangeness. It's now pretty tricky to get into 5th and 6t. Also I messed around w/it b/c it seemed too easy to or there was too much play over on the right side w/the higher gears and reverse. I can shift into reverse w/o the lockout (in a parking lot)...like it isn't working or it was forced into reverse w/o the lockout at some point. I took the shifter surround off to see if anything was broken, but everything appears to be in order. Also with cover off everything appears to operate normally. Anyone have any thoughts about what is going on here?

Someone likely tried to forced it into reverse. It happened to my GT during shipping from CA to MA. You just need to unscrew the shift knob, pull up the shifter plate and loosen the two screws to adjust the 5-6 shift stop.

that's what I would guess, as well. Someone pushed really hard to get it into reverse and the gate slid over a bit. Put the car in 5th or 6th, loosen the two bolts and slide the stop over so that it almost touches the shifter, then tighten it down and verify you can't get it into reverse without the reverse ring pulled up.

It would be one hell of a bad mis-shift if you went 5th to reverse! boom!

Yesterday I change the PCV valve and greased my starter.

I mouth tested my 119K miles PCV valve and it wasn't leaking (my 125k 2.5i Outback PCV was). One less thing to worry about. No too bad to do, just have to remove the intercooler and remove the factory clamp.

I removed the starter and greased the starter like the 4th Gen tutorial. The back of my 5th Gen starter doesn't have the cover and the 12mm bolts are T25 Torx bolts otherwise its the same. It was real easy to disassemble and was a no brainer to pull apart fully to grease rather than just the just greasing the gear. (if one has the skill to remove the starter, greasing the starter is a much easier task)

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/diy-starter-repair-remove-disassemble-grease-reinstall-w-pics-218329.html?t=218329&highlight=starter

Not today, but before I left for vacation last week I did a full wash and clay bar on the front bumper and hood. Nice and smooth, perfect for showing off all of the rusted rock chips and swirl marks :(

Also did a degreaser session on the engine bay. Not great, but better than before.

Bigger listing coming soon, but today I realized I was foiled by the parts catalog.

Long story short, subaru parts sites list both 20401AJ00A and 20401AJ08A for the 2013 2.5i front sway bar. Both the pictures are the same, same price, I assumed one was a supercession of the other. Saw the -J08A number in the suspension sticky, listed 2.5i in the fitment listings, so I went with that one. Installed it while I had the engine out this past weekend, look under the car, and find its against both the exhaust and oil pan. Come back to suspension sticky, realize -J08A is for 3.6R, am disappointed.

Can anyone confirm 20401AJ00A is correct for a 2.5i/GT?

^On a related note, our market doesnt have folding rear seats, but I discovered we have some cool chassis bracing there instead!

zZUiXLY.jpg

It's crazy how much different these cars are in different markets.

Warm water and dawn soap.. wiped down back and front seats and then shop vac'd them. 170k miles of dog and passengers + my sweaty ass in the front seat after workouts was giving some not so good wiffs. :lol: Still some 'spill' marks in the passenger seat that I don't ever recall happening (probably the wife) and the water seemed to surface them out. Will do a rd 2 this weekend to clean those things up. Didn't get pics since I knocked it out after getting home from work and the gym.

Also replaced the cabin air filter (done 30k miles ago March '18) with a K&N cleanable one. Old one was pretty mucked up.

While vaccing the floors, discovered a screw under the front passenger floor mat 0.0 . Worried it dropped when I opened the glove box for the filter, and was sitting somewhere up there from the airbag recall. Which means there is a screw not where its supposed to be.. f#$k

Bigger listing coming soon, but today I realized I was foiled by the parts catalog.

Long story short, subaru parts sites list both 20401AJ00A and 20401AJ08A for the 2013 2.5i front sway bar. Both the pictures are the same, same price, I assumed one was a supercession of the other. Saw the -J08A number in the suspension sticky, listed 2.5i in the fitment listings, so I went with that one. Installed it while I had the engine out this past weekend, look under the car, and find its against both the exhaust and oil pan. Come back to suspension sticky, realize -J08A is for 3.6R, am disappointed.

Can anyone confirm 20401AJ00A is correct for a 2.5i/GT?

20401AJ00A is for 2.5i/GT, correct. 08A is for 3.6R.