LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 5th gen today?? -V4

12 hours ago, Falcor said:

There are a handful of things you can do to make the shifting crisper. Mine has been modified for years, but I do remember initially it was not the best. 

I have a shift stop, brass cable bushing, and short throw adapter (modified OEM). There's no cure for feel of the DBW + manual trans though. This is my first car with that combo and it's a horrific thing.

Edited by Plastixx

Got my car back today. Clutch feels waaaay better than it did before. There was hardly any wear on the old parts other than the demolished fork. You can still see the factory machining marks on the pressure plate and flywheel. There's a strange band of clutch material on the flywheel, but it comes off easily with a carbide scraper. I think they could have been reused, but the shop never even gave me the option or let me know their condition. It has an OEM dual-mass flywheel in it now. Honestly, I like it better than the solid it replaced.

They also replaced the front subframe. I did some repairs on it last fall, but never finished. There was still a section I knew wouldn't pass inspection and I just didn't have it in me to get it done before the end of the month.

Total damage: $3900 😭

Also put a new front bumper cover on today (snow bank incident), new chinesium blacked out headlights with clears side markers/turn signals, and new budget LED fogs that I covered with yellow VViVid Air-Tint. Forgot to get a pic.

clutch.jpg

fork.jpg

• Like 5

On 4/25/2024 at 7:50 AM, Falcor said:

Nothing done to the car, but checked up on the catalytic converter I have been waiting on for 2 months. 😐

Update, they actually answered the phone yesterday and the guy was surprised the order was 2 months old. Said he would check on it and call me back. He never called back. 😑

I'm canceling the order on Monday. This is unacceptable.

Edited by Falcor

26 minutes ago, Falcor said:

This is why I replaced my fork with a forged one. Way overkill for my application, but gave me peace of mind.

I would have, but didn't have time to order one. Realistically though, this car will probably be in the scrap yard before it becomes an issue again anyway.

Edit: Attached pic of car. Bumper paint isn't a 100% match, but can't complain for $350 painted and shipped. A local shop would want at least that much just for paint.

leggy.jpg

Edited by Plastixx
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, Falcor said:

Update, they actually answered the phone yesterday and the guy was surprised the order was 2 months old. Said he would check on it and call me back. He never called back. 😑

That's a bummer, but I would definitely cancel.

On 4/27/2024 at 10:15 AM, Falcor said:

Update:

I called Monday and canceled the order. They said they were probably waiting on the flange to arrive and the cat hadn't been welded up yet. At this point I didn't care and was going to order one from Magnaflow since they were back in stock.

While waiting for the funds to be put back on my CC I get a phone call today and was told the cat just arrived from the factory and was ready to go. They had not canceled the order yet and wanted to know what I wanted to do. I went ahead and had them ship it since it was done and ready to go. Received a tracking number already, so hoping it goes smooth here on out. As of now I'm planning on installing it next weekend.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Falcor said:

While waiting for the funds to be put back on my CC I get a phone call today and was told the cat just arrived from the factory and was ready to go.

Yeah, I bet. What a coincidence. 😆

44 minutes ago, Plastixx said:

Yeah, I bet. What a coincidence. 😆

I was thinking the same thing. 

To their credit, it was shipped out last night from Ontario, and is now on the truck for delivery here in little ol’ Pittsburg, KS. 

Got the cat yesterday. Interesting thing is they sent me the Magnaflow one instead of the house brand. Not complaining since I was about to spend $200 more for the same thing. 

Looking forward to getting it installed next weekend.

4 hours ago, Falcor said:

Got the cat yesterday. Interesting thing is they sent me the Magnaflow one instead of the house brand. Not complaining since I was about to spend $200 more for the same thing. 

Can't go wrong when they mess up an order that benefits you 😆.

My strut Bar just got in, so I installed that today. pretty easy install, but i was shocked at how low the recommended torque spec is for the strut towers. also investigated a clunking in the front end and found my control arm bushings to be shot. ordered the parts and they should get here next week.

IMG_20240504_104235432.jpg

IMG_20240504_104220169_HDR.jpg

On 5/3/2024 at 8:00 PM, Falcor said:

Maybe they took a slight hit on their margins rather than lose the sale?  Good you got a better product though it was a long wait

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Scubaboo said:

Maybe they took a slight hit on their margins rather than lose the sale?  Good you got a better product though it was a long wait

100% this. Someone learned that you were canceling because they couldn't deliver and made an executive decision.

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Jimothy_14 said:

also investigated a clunking in the front end and found my control arm bushings to be shot

Heh, those look pristine compared to how mine were before I replaced them. The center was completely torn free on both sides. I replaced them with solid poly bushings so that can't happen again.

Hopefully the bolts don't give you too much trouble. They can be a major PITA. Your car doesn't look too rusty though.

Edited by Plastixx

13 hours ago, Plastixx said:

Heh, those look pristine compared to how mine were before I replaced them. The center was completely torn free on both sides. I replaced them with solid poly bushings so that can't happen again.

Hopefully the bolts don't give you too much trouble. They can be a major PITA. Your car doesn't look too rusty though.

How are the poly fronts for you compared to the OE bushes?

I was leery of poly reading about stuff like NVH and noise with them, but I went Whiteline with poly for my rear lower camber arms and I was surprised to have nothing to complain about them.

Other members report Mevotech use solid rubber for those bushes if anyone is interested in other options.

Hi all. My carbon brake project is on finish line - need to decide on logo color. I like white more than black. What option is better? I also think logo is too big, needs to be reduced a little in size.  What do you think? 

IMG_20240506_093817_915.jpg

IMG_20240506_093818_231.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Scubaboo said:

How are the poly fronts for you compared to the OE bushes?

I was leery of poly reading about stuff like NVH and noise with them, but I went Whiteline with poly for my rear lower camber arms and I was surprised to have nothing to complain about them.

Other members report Mevotech use solid rubber for those bushes if anyone is interested in other options.

I did buy the Mevotech arms with solid rubber bushings. The ones I received had the OEM type, even though the part numbers were correct on the box. I contacted Mevotech support and they were basically like "Supply chain issues bro. Sorry not sorry, lol". Really pissed me off. Rockauto wanted me to pay return shipping and a restocking fee. F#€k both those companies.

Anyway, I went with Siberian Bushing for the solid poly bushings. They claim the durometer is the same as OEM rubber. I don't generally care about increased NVH though. I replaced every single last bushing on a 2009 Outback 3.0R with either poly or rigid spherical joints and even that didn't bother me.

• Thanks 1

Prepped the GT for the cat surgery. I’ll be out of town for work for the next few days. So I jacked it up, pulled the O2’s and sprayed down all the bolts with PB Blaster. Will do that again a couple times this week when I get back and do the install this weekend.

IMG_2444.jpeg

• Like 3

On 5/5/2024 at 7:55 AM, Plastixx said:

Dude did you fucking jinx me or something? the bolt for the rear control arm bushing has been heat cycled 3 times and i've put a 5 foot tube on my breaker bar and it has not budged. I've broken and tightened down literally every other part and somehow this one is the one that wants to shatter itself

On 5/6/2024 at 2:49 AM, Brunzo said:

Hi all. My carbon brake project is on finish line - need to decide on logo color. I like white more than black. What option is better? I also think logo is too big, needs to be reduced a little in size.  What do you think? 

IMG_20240506_093817_915.jpg

IMG_20240506_093818_231.jpg

i think the black is the right call...could you do STno instead of not sti?  that might be fun?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jimothy_14 said:

Dude did you fucking jinx me or something? the bolt for the rear control arm bushing has been heat cycled 3 times and i've put a 5 foot tube on my breaker bar and it has not budged. I've broken and tightened down literally every other part and somehow this one is the one that wants to shatter itself

Ha, no jinx needed. That's par for the course with those bolts.

I torched the inner sleeve with MAPP (caution: flaming rubber), gripped the sleeve with large vicegrips, then hit the bolt with my Hercules Ultra Torque. They actually didn't give me too much trouble considering my subframe was so rusty I recently had it replaced. I laughed and told the mechanic I should get a discount because I already did the hard part for him and even used new bolts/nuts.

Edited by Plastixx

Threw my old BP’s summers on the 5th gen while I wait for her tires to come in. Switching from Conti extremecontact dws06 to Michelin pilot sport a/s 4. They have similar tread wear ratings and utqg so I’m hoping for similar performance. I know the a/s3 is probably more similar but I couldn’t find them.

IMG_5778.jpeg