LegacyGT.com

What did you buy for your 5th gen today? - V3

I definitely looked into what I'd need to MIG weld stainless at one point. Never actually went anywhere with that, but the thought of "what if I just, you know, fried up a set of headers?" did cross my mind.

I've also only used my welder twice since I bought it, both times with the little spool of flux-core wire that came with it, and I still haven't bought a gas bottle for it, but it sure does look nice at the back of the garage...

I definitely looked into what I'd need to MIG weld stainless at one point. Never actually went anywhere with that, but the thought of "what if I just, you know, fried up a set of headers?" did cross my mind.

I've also only used my welder twice since I bought it, both times with the little spool of flux-core wire that came with it, and I still haven't bought a gas bottle for it, but it sure does look nice at the back of the garage...

I made a deal with myself: finish all my current projects before starting any new ones, so far it's not going well. I finished two projects (exhaust fan install in our camper, riding mower re-power for my dad) now I have gained about 3 more...the list never gets shorter. So this may be a long way off for that reason, I have a welder just sitting in my shed now, I need a workshop of some sort to make it even remotely feasible. I did a lot of researching and I know which welder I want so I am ready when my to-do list gets cleared...lol

Bought something pretty special that will be potentially game changing for 3.6R's going forward. You may recall from Patrick's recent post in his Among Us SUS Project, that he found a full aluminum 40mm dual-core H6 radiator for a 3rd gen EZ30 that he was able to make work with his 3.6R. Well, the same company also makes another full aluminum 40mm dual-core H6 radiator meant for a 4th gen H6. And well, I grabbed one up and am going to see how well it fits/works.

Patrick did a lot of research on measurements, and found 97% of Subarus share bottom radiator mount widths, so many rads are physically interchangeable, but have other aspects that determine if they actually compatible or not. The hold back for 3.6 radiator upgrades has always been the need of the second upper coolant port. From what we both could find on measurements of factory radiators, 4th gen H6 and 5th gen H6 radiators are dimensionally IDENTICAL. In fact, from my own research, the only physical difference I can find between the OEM rads is that the 5th gen H6 uses an elbow for one of the lower trans cooler ports while 4th gen uses straights on both. From everything I can find, as well as Patrick's 3rd gen rad fit, this 4th gen rad should fit even better.

So, aside from just a big improvement in cooling capacity, this radiator also acts as an upgrade for the in-rad trans cooler as well, potentially eliminating the need for an external trans cooler. And if the literal only change for 100% drop-in compatibility for 3.6R is swapping the trans inlet for an elbow, than the company that makes these could instantaneously add another product to their line and open themselves up to a whole new market.

The rad is on order and should be here by the end of February. The company that makes the radiator has been extremely easy to communicate with and very rapid on responses. We'll see how everything goes when it gets here.

It's also, bluntly, REALLY damn pretty, and I can't wait to see it in the engine bay.

12oHhAX.jpg

qMOpZlC.jpg

4th gen EZ30 OEM rad vs. 5th gen EZ36 OEM rad. Only difference I can see is the trans cooler elbow.

FpFJyge.jpg

jFah74u.jpg

Edited by Humble Rumble

Thicc! What will you be doing for fans?

If I cannot get the factory fan shroud to fit, I'll likely be going a similar/same route as what GT's have done in the past. Mishimoto fan shroud most likely, and possibly swapped with some SPAL fans.

If I cannot get the factory fan shroud to fit, I'll likely be going a similar/same route as what GT's have done in the past. Mishimoto fan shroud most likely, and possibly swapped with some SPAL fans.

I see. What temps are you seeing now and on the track btw on the stock setup? A before and after would be nice if you can.

I see. What temps are you seeing now and on the track btw on the stock setup? A before and after would be nice if you can.

Don't actually have a temp monitor of any sort yet lmao. :redface: Definitely planning to get something for that sorted, weather it be a multi-meter, gauge, or something elsewise.

Get a bottle. It will make you want to find welding project.

Radiator showed up and folks, I think we're in business. Really happy with the quality, looks excellent and well made. From what I can tell just upon an initial look, the upper stays are in exactly the same same location/orientation, cap and coolant ports are also identically placed, and from Patrick's (ThreeSixMafia) research, 99% of Subaru's have identical dimensions for bottom radiator mounts at 21.25", and 4th and 5th gen are no different. So by all angles I can see currently, this is a perfect fit.

I'm also going to get a set of Samco hoses. They do have a kit made for the 15-19 3.6R, and from my own research, I cannot see any differences between the two gen's radiator layout that would make the Samco kit not also fit a 10-14.

Won't be swapping this fully in until the weather warms up a bit and till I can get my hands on Samco hoses along with some way to measure temps so I can get a proper before and after comparison.

Ao1Jh83.jpg

TPa81uK.jpg

l4J7SWI.jpg

f7n2gID.jpg

ReU9U6x.jpg

Uqgkas6.jpg

rS8L2Ae.jpg

• 1 month later...
I’m trying to buy the cmod grill for the 14 legacy but was unable to do it from their website , are they closed ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just an FYI for anyone also looking for the Cmod grille for the 13-14 part# SULE13MG.

There’s a website called Rstorio offering it for CA$119 (US$96) . DO NOT BUY IT, it is a scam website looking to take your money and credit card info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snagged a refurbished Lenovo Tab M7 Gen 3 (2021) 32GB 7" tablet for $66, also ordered a dash mount and mini-usb to micro-usb cable to run Btssm from my Tactrix OpenPort. Using this as expanded gauges to monitor temps. I figured this was a much easier, quicker, cheaper solution than bunging in a bunch of sensors, buying physical gauges, and bunging in sensors and wiring everything. Tablet delivered already, mount and cable should be here later today so I can test everything.

Side note: Andriod f*cking sucks. I've used two Android devices, this tablet being the second, and it is SO slow an unresponsive and laggy. The first was an Android phone I had exactly the same experience with. Android batting a big fat 0 with me so far. If Btssm wasn't Android only, I'd run it on literally anything else.

xqGtN1s.thumb.png.f6ef60916ae2c406082c54aa7662d93c.png

s4d7NgO.thumb.png.fddf68b11b56e6e22c9ee2763771773d.png

Side note: Andriod f*cking sucks. I've used two Android devices, this tablet being the second, and it is SO slow an unresponsive and laggy. The first was an Android phone I had exactly the same experience with. Android batting a big fat 0 with me so far. If Btssm wasn't Android only, I'd run it on literally anything else.

:lol: I'm not gonna start an Android vs Apple cyberwar, but for a tablet under $70 how much performance did you expect?

At least a little faster than screen movement a full five seconds after I touch it. :rolleyes:

That's a hardware not software issue. I would agree what do you expect for a refurbished sub $100 tablet. I have only used android phones and tablets and have had none of those issues. I have a galaxy s7 5g tablet and been through multiple flagship galaxy phones. You get what you pay for.

That tablet has a MediaTek MT8166 and only 2GB RAM. MediaTek SoC's are the absolute bottom of the barrel. They're what run the $50 Android phones that drug dealers buy at the corner stores.

I snagged a refurb Galaxy Tab A7 on ebay for $109 and couldn't be happier with it (running a custom ROM though).

I'm literally using it *only* to run Btssm and nothing else, I don't need anything above bottom of the barrel, but even bottom of the barrel should be FUNCTIONAL as stated, refurbished or not.

That said, I turned it on today, and for whatever reason it's running much closer to what I'd consider normal functionality speeds, unsure what the issue was with it when I was using it yesterday. Was working so poorly that while in Btssm, I could not tell if my finger presses were even registering or not. I would tap the menu and have to wait 5+ seconds for it to open, or it just wouldn't open, complete potshot. Maybe just-after-setup hiccups, who knows, but it seems to be running better today. I haven't been out to hook it up to the car yet to test it while driving, so further judgements will be reserved until then.

Edited by Humble Rumble

I'm literally using it *only* to run Btssm and nothing else, I don't need anything above bottom of the barrel, but even bottom of the barrel should be FUNCTIONAL as stated, refurbished or not.

That said, I turned it on today, and for whatever reason it's running much closer to what I'd consider normal functionality speeds, unsure what the issue was with it when I was using it yesterday. Was working so poorly that while in Btssm, I could not tell if my finger presses were even registering or not. I would tap the menu and have to wait 5+ seconds for it to open, or it just wouldn't open, complete potshot. Maybe just-after-setup hiccups, who knows, but it seems to be running better today. I haven't been out to hook it up to the car yet to test it while driving, so further judgements will be reserved until then.

If that is all you need it to do, root it and run a clean version of android. Plenty of how to's on doing just that. Most cheap tablets have crappy software addons or outdated android versions which you might be able to upgrade if you are lucky.

Having said that I would have recommended a hisense tablet new not refurbished probably for not much more than you spent. We have had good luck with them for light use around the home. FWIW an amazon fire tablet would probably also have worked, rooted of course again for not much more than you paid.

I also would be curious if you got what you were supposed to, alot of those reviews on refurb electronics I have read were some unhappy people getting knockoff phones, tablets, or computers. Some even have the correct looking cases and screens but the hardware wasn't what it was supposed to be.

Edited by FLlegacy

Not so ,much what I "bought" as what I acquired. I guess it was 2 years (and a bit more) ago I won a local golf tournament where the organizers had hit up local businesses for merchandise and gift certificates etc. to give out as prizes. Not what you would expect for winning an amateur tournament but I got a $250 gift certificate at a Ford dealership.

It was gathering dust in my desk so I finally decided to go to the dealership and see what I could find that I might ever use. I decided car care stuff was going to be my best bet....cleaners, polishes, tire shine, glass cleaner etc etc.

I started pointing this stuff out to the guy in the parts department when the dealership manager, who I know from playing golf with him over the years, comes over and tells me that they are getting out of handling those products. He then tells his parts guy to get a box and fill it with all their Motorcraft car care stuff and give it all to me :)

I walked out with about $400 of products and will probably never have to buy any of that kind of stuff again...Yippee!! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Was finally able to purchase the C-mod grille for my car. Debating on whether I should install myself or pay the $200 for the shop to do it. Any advice on the installation?

The install takes less than 20 minutes and can be done with handtools. Any shop charging you $200 for it is absolutely ripping you off.

There's two screws that are much easier to access from behind the bumper, just take the bumper off with the grille attached: https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/front-bumper-removal-2010-206177.html?t=206177

The install takes less than 20 minutes and can be done with handtools. Any shop charging you $200 for it is absolutely ripping you off.

There's two screws that are much easier to access from behind the bumper, just take the bumper off with the grille attached: https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/front-bumper-removal-2010-206177.html?t=206177

Thank you, I did not receive the grille yet so im not too sure of what it includes, but are we able to use the push pins and the bumper holes used with the OEM grill?