LegacyGT.com

Perrin Lightweight Crank Pulley

That's a good way to loosen the bolt if you are auto..

I did mine the quick yet dangerous way. Set up a 1" wrench on the ratchet so that it rested on part of the car that doesn't move (and the right direction of course) and cranked the car. As soon as I turned the key I could that the bolt had popped loose...I checked and nothing was damaged, only the bolt was loose and I didn't have to put any"ass" into it ;D

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do it when the engine's HOT too. Wear gloves and a long shirt 'cause the Coolant hoses will burn the **** outa you. :) I've installed 4 of these things on Scoobs so far and I've had a different experience every time. The best 2 times I've done it is when the crank shaft was hot hot. The bolt just comes right out. I've almost killed my self and my car trying it on a cold engine twice. Big difference.

• 5 weeks later...
well let me ask you this then. giving what type of pulley you uese you say that some require you to buy new belts because of the smaller diameter of the new pulley. does it tell you what size to buy? i know when i had my mustang i purchased underdrive pulleys and i had to custom fit belts. took me forever and a few runs to the parts shop putting on and taking off, putting on and taking off.....it goes on and on.

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

• 2 months later...
I did mine the quick yet dangerous way. Set up a 1" wrench on the ratchet so that it rested on part of the car that doesn't move (and the right direction of course) and cranked the car. As soon as I turned the key I could that the bolt had popped loose...I checked and nothing was damaged, only the bolt was loose and I didn't have to put any"ass" into it ;D

Thanks BadAndy, it worked great! I set up a breaker bar & 1" wrench, bumped the ignition, and "crack". Kind of worried me at first, but after inspection, bolt was loose and everything was good!

I now have a new lightweight pulley with no probs! :icon_bigg The car seems to turn up a little faster and maybe a slight bit more performance. Well worth it!

"You poke it, You own it" - Man law supporter

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You don't want to use thread locking compound on the crank pully. Given the size of the bolt you would never be able to get it out again.

Most manufacturers even recommend oiling the threads so the torque reading is more consistent. I'm sure they've factor in the clamp load needed to hold the pully on, especially if they ask for lube on the threads.

Is there a special tool for getting the crank bolt out of Subaru's without a helper? For most Honda's you use a 50mm hex attached to a long handle (ie: plumbing fitting welded to a gas pipe :lol: ). The Hex portion locks the pulley while you shove the your socket through the middle.

I just tightened the belt alittle and put one ratchet on the power steer pump pulley nut. With long extensions it was no problem. Alot easier than my brake line hoses.

• 4 months later...
Guest subiecity
i have a 4eat....i couldnt get my nut off so i took it to a friend of mines shop....he said he almost couldnt get it off....when we finally took off the oem pulley....HOLY ****........the thing feels like it weights like 10 lbs, it really feels like a solid piece of steel..i kno the oem pulley is suppsed to be like 6 lbs or so...but goddam its heavy compared to my agency power pulley...they claim their pulley weight exactly 1.0lb i think its the lightest crank pulley outta all of them....but definitely a hug diffence i feel as i can launch the car a lot faster now insead of having the car feel like its 3000lbs(lol jk 3200 to be exact)...and when dropping down a gear and wanting to pass someone...oohh baby it feels soo much better....but for a N/A car its def a good investment for your money..i highly reccomend a lightweight crankshaft pulley

• 3 weeks later...
No change in driveability, just seems to rev quicker. No reason to stall it at all, it doesn't feel any different setting off, just when you floor it the needle climbs faster.

No way she will notice, mine hasn't noticed any change from stock even though I'm at AP stg.1.

I just drive accordingly when she is in the car.

the worlds most funniest words "will my wife notice" "no" but the rest is just funny... maybe i'm just lacking sleep...:lol:

But, again you can look at the other side of the story and hear/see the stories of the stock pulley seperating; causing serious damage.

yep... same thing with Mercedes-Benz... they have a recall for almost all harmonic balancers on the 112 an 113 engines... you have to replace them based on certain part numbers.. failure to do so will result in breaking and damaging the main front cover an main upper oil pan...

• 1 month later...

I purchased the perrin lwp, wife threw the installation instructions away... I've tried to get them off perrin website but can't find them. could someone email the instructions, I have a 5eat, is it safe to crank the car like mentioned above to loosen the bolt?

thanks,

Yager

no just a oem sized lightweight crankshaft pulley

No trying to find out how to get the Power Steering pulley off. I have the UN Crank and Steering pulley set. What about all this talk of making sure it's top dead center? (Do I need to mark anything before I remove it?Crank)

Guest subiecity
oh so u got an underdriven pulley i guess, idk i just took my shit to the gas station cahrged me 50 bucks and had everthing installed in like 25 min

Yes have the UN slight Underdrive pulley set, the Steering pulley has compression grooves which telles me the stock has them too, this means PIA to get off. Has anybody done this (Power Steeering pulley)? Do I need a Puller to get it off.

Scott

Guest subiecity
i couldnt help ya there, im not exactly a fan of underdriven pulleys, not to safe for charging your car, i dont wanna get stuck with a dead/weak battery

Archived