LegacyGT.com

Perrin Lightweight Crank Pulley

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i couldnt help ya there, im not exactly a fan of underdriven pulleys, not to safe for charging your car, i dont wanna get stuck with a dead/weak battery

Do you think UR would make a part that would not give you adequate charging for our cars. They would not be in business putting crap out there like that. The regulator brings the voltage down below 14.5 or so to keep the battery charged even with all accessories on. UR underdrive showed very little to no drop in voltage at all. This means unless you’re running a 500wt stereo system or something you will never know the difference. Just about 3 to 4 HP loss is all you will feel by running a OEM lighten pulley. These are like I said very slight underdrive, just enough to gain around 4 HP while keeping the voltage unchanged.

That's a wise tale about not getting enough voltage, at least with this company.

I have run Unorthodox UD pulleys for 2 years on another car and never had any issue.

Oh one other down side it will take about an extra 45 seconds to feel the full effects of the AC.

I also had to buy all new belts, $25.00 or so, no bigge though, almost time to replace anyhow.

I will try to do a picture by picture install if I remember.

Thanks Scott

Guest subiecity
oh i kno but in my subie i have alottaa shit running off my accesories , i do have a system with 2 jl 10, amp, and besides running my foglights and demon eyes for me its definitely a risk that i dont want to take, but on my 89 3 series i have underdriven pulleys just cuz i have no ac, no sterio , or backseat for that matter,,,,its strictly my track car

• 5 months later...

so i had a few questions about the install process.. i saw the video and i have a 5EAT, when the guy puts it in 5th gear well.. thats kind of a problem having an auto i can't quite do that, what do i do instead?

and when you're putting the bolt back on the crank pulley how do you know exactly how much lbs -ft or watever you're crankin on? it looks like the guys doing it by hand and just guesstimating.

• 3 weeks later...

ok, to awnser the cobb question about torque.....it comes with no instructions

we installed it based off of the write up on page one.....

as for the belts...I installed my cobb pulley at 34k miles, we reused the belts.

now at 36k miles there is a screeching under heavy acceleration. we are checking the belts today, and possible replacing them.

our theory is that it is either the belts or the turbo. it is very consistent at wot in 2nd getting on the freeway etc. so we don't think it is the turbo.

ok i have the perrin lightened, and being an automatic it took so long since i forgot about taking out the plug on top of the tranny and putting a screw driver or w/e works into the fly wheel so then you can loosen the crank pulley and re-tighten... but as for performance i also have axle back and cai, and i noticed a little better throttle response and afer 4k rpm a little better pick-up. i'm a 03 legacy n/a, with 130,000Km now on it.. but with all this stuff i've put it on about 10,000ish km's

I installed the Perrin last week and it does make a difference. I can now take off from a dead stop without giving it any gas and just easing the clutch out. It also feels much smoother going from gear to gear. There's no longer a slight hesitation when shifting.
Let's kick this pig!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

yea no one ever answered my question soo

i jus deccided that the next day when i took my car in for an inspection to ask to have that bolt tightened to the set amount

im not sure if whatever mechanic you go to will do it for free but its worth a shot

hope i helped out

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Curious about this, there are no degree measurements on the Perrin pulley, has this caused any problems for anyone? I'm looking to install mine shortly, please forgive my noobness if this is an obvious question.

Thanks!

Yeah that's a bad move on Perrin for not doing that. When its time to do timing belt, will need to put the stock back on.

Archived