LegacyGT.com

Perrin Lightweight Crank Pulley

Myself and many people I know have aftermarket pulleys on our GT Liberty's.

I must say that I was very dissapointed and for the $$ I wouldn't waste it on them. Made no noticeable difference at all to any of the Liberty's I have been in.

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just put an Agency Power pulley in last night. Pretty easy thanks to your great instructions.

My car revs faster FOR SURE. The only thing I'm worried about is longevity of the engine (as I drop the hammer daily).

I bought my pulley used, and it was the best bang for the buck I've had in a while.

Thanks, Jeff

2006 LGT LTD 5MT Brilliant Silver

Cobb AP w/ TDC S2 protune

Crucial DP

K&N Filter

Cusco F&R Sways

Tein H-Techs

Cobb F&R Endlinks

Kartboy SS

Xtec HID 5000K

• 4 months later...
As you slide it off, keep an eye out for the shaft key, which may or may not fall out, it didn't for me though.

If it falls out you have a bigger problem :lol: The woodruff key secures not only the crank pulley but also the crank timing sprocket. It can't fall out with just the pulley removed.

OK... I've had one sitting in my trunk for a while now and I figured I'd throw it on (along with new belts) while I'm waiting for a turbo.

How come I do not want to add this LW pulley?

Because you eliminate the stock harmonic dampener in the process.

Sadly, Suby world bought into the marketing propaganda of "internally balanced engines". The stock pulley is a dampener and should not be replaced by a solid pulley!

Sadly, Suby world bought into the marketing propaganda of "internally balanced engines". The stock pulley is a dampener and should not be replaced by a solid pulley!

And you think this will make a difference in what?

I am not trying to disagree, but it seems that their is little evidence that it actually causes problems.

I may try taking mine off and see if that clears up my real low load knock.

And you think this will make a difference in what?

I am not trying to disagree, but it seems that their is little evidence that it actually causes problems.

I may try taking mine off and see if that clears up my real low load knock.

Difference in longevity. Or perhaps may take it over the edge, especially on high rpms, and cause crank bearing demise.

This thread is a good read on the subject (refer to hotrod's posts):

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=663150

Difference in longevity. Or perhaps may take it over the edge, especially on high rpms, and cause crank bearing demise.

This thread is a good read on the subject (refer to hotrod's posts):

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=663150

Good read.

I can with now with form authority say that I don't know if it really matters.:)

Sorry, this theory belongs in the BS sack.

The stock pulley has a rubber sock absorber in it to reduce vibrations being transmitted to the belts and belt driven components. It is NOT a harmonic damper.

There are more documented cases of failed stock pulleys than damage caused by LW pulleys.

Stop scaremongering :rolleyes:

Sorry, this theory belongs in the BS sack.

The stock pulley has a rubber sock absorber in it to reduce vibrations being transmitted to the belts and belt driven components. It is NOT a harmonic damper.

There are more documented cases of failed stock pulleys than damage caused by LW pulleys.

Stop scaremongering :rolleyes:

Rubber sock absorber? :lol: :lol: ROTFL LMAO

If you did not notice the "belt driven components" (power steering pump, alternator, AC compressor) are directly bolted to the engine. So much reducing vibrations via the "rubber sock"....

Also excerpt from a paper on EJ series engines:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/turbo93impreza/pg1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/turbo93impreza/pg4.jpg

Show me the failures..........

I, and hundreds of others, probably thousands have been using LW pulleys for years now, my engine still runs fine.

Before we get there, what was that "rubber sock" again? :lol:

See above.

Study engines that actually need harmonic balancers, like inline 7 or 9 cylinders.

;)

Sigh. It's okay to be wrong about something. Admit it. Only fools are always right.

Anyway harmonic balancer and torsional dampener are terms used interchangeably. Teh FHI document specificially mentions torsional vibration.

This may also be of help:

A harmonic balancer (also called crank pulley damper, crankshaft damper, torsional damper, or vibration damper) is a device connected to the crankshaft of an engine to reduce torsional vibration.

Every time the cylinders fire, torque is imparted to the crankshaft. The crankshaft deflects under this torque, which sets up vibrations when the torque is released. At certain engine speeds the torques imparted by the cylinders are in synch with the vibrations in the crankshaft, which results in a phenomenon called resonance. This resonance causes stress beyond what the crankshaft can withstand, resulting in crankshaft failure.

To prevent this vibration, a harmonic balancer is attached to the front part of the crankshaft. The damper is composed of two elements: a mass and an energy dissipating element. The mass resists the acceleration of the vibration and the energy dissipating (rubber/clutch/fluid) element absorbs the vibrations.

Over time, the energy dissipating (rubber/clutch/fluid) element can deteriorate from age, heat, cold, or exposure to oil or chemicals. Unless rebuilt or replaced, this can cause the crankshaft to develop cracks, resulting in crankshaft failure.

There has been a trend at times by some "performance enthusiasts" to remove the harmonic balancers on their cars, usually when the balancer is attached to the crank pulley. The argument is that they aren't necessary and their mass reduces the performance of the engine. Others[who?] argue that this is not worth it, because the danger of damage to the engine from the vibrations the damper is intended to prevent is too high. Certain cars, however, do not come equipped with an external balancer on the crank pulley, and as such, can have the pulley replaced with a performance oriented product.

While net engine output can be increased without harmonic balancers, in professional race cars harmonic balancers are still commonly equipped, for reasons ranging from safety concerns to regulations. Almost all modern car manufacturers, even "performance" car makers and specialty tuners, include a harmonic balancer on their vehicles, and removal voids vehicle warranty.

In case you are not familiar with what a real torsional vibration damper looks like, here's a link.

http://www.geislinger.com/fileadmin/pdf/LT_Leaflet_Damper06.pdf

The fact that the crankshaft pulley is driving accessories via the belt drives, means it cannot act freely as a damper as the outer diameter is constantly under load.

It is an attempt at one, but not really effective.

Ah..........Wikipedia, the source of all knowledge :lol:

So you were wrong when you thought you could improve Subaru's design and put a filter into the camshaft oil line ?

It's OK to admit it, only fools are right all the time ;)

Off-topic. Typical PhilT. Frantically tries to derail the discussion to something else only to avoid admitting mistake.

Ok, wikpedia is trash. I am sure Dinan is also stupid.

http://www.dinancars.com/bmw/technial-info/the-dangers-of-power-pulleys-and-understanding-the-harmonic-damper

As are engineers who put dampers on cars in the first place.....

Archived