LegacyGT.com

Perrin Lightweight Crank Pulley

It is an attempt at one, but not really effective.

I am not an engineer to judge how effective. All I know it is there for a reason and that tells me that putting a lightweight piece of crappy pulley there is not a good idea.

EOT.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not de railing it, just having a dig at you :lol:

http://www.dinancars.com/assets/Image/white%20papers/powerpulley3.jpg

If you look at the pic you refer to, this is a far better damper than what Subaru use, as the inertia ring as they call it, does nothing but cancel out the torsional vibration, it does not have a load put onto it via belts which would stop it from doing what it's meant to.

Thanks for posting the link to help prove my point ;)

I am not an engineer to judge how effective. All I know it is there for a reason and that tells me that putting a lightweight piece of crappy pulley there is not a good idea.

EOT.

Again, point me to the failures caused by these "crappy pulleys" and you will put some weight behind your argument. As it stands your argument is as lightweight as the pulleys :lol:

• 1 month later...
Rubber sock absorber? :lol: :lol: ROTFL LMAO

If you did not notice the "belt driven components" (power steering pump, alternator, AC compressor) are directly bolted to the engine. So much reducing vibrations via the "rubber sock"....

Also excerpt from a paper on EJ series engines:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/turbo93impreza/pg1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/turbo93impreza/pg4.jpg

Keep in mind the posted SAE paper was from 1989 (as was mentioned several times on NASIOC), and Subaru's engines might be a bit better balanced since then ;).

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not going to try and add anything to the crank pulley debate, but instead take this a slightly different direction.

What about the alternator and power steering pulleys? There are aftermarket versions of those sold that presumably are lighter in weight. Is there any performance benefit to be gained from reducing the rotational mass there?

• 4 months later...
i dotn know how it done it but thats my picture / my pulley. the thing is toast. and i wont be putting a stock pulley back on. aftermarket here i come.

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

• 2 months later...

I guess I will add my .02 on the topic. I have worked on cars and motorcycles and have never come across an engine issue debated more (in regards to Subaru's). Take from it what you will because all IMHO.

I used to own an 04 STi and installed the lightweight crank pulley with no issues. I now have an 08 Legacy 2.5i and have debated to install a LW pulley.

Here is what I can deduce from all the researching:

- Yes there is less rotational mass frees up HP and allows the engine to respond quicker. Quicker revs lead to potential better acceleration so on and so forth. The problems usually arise due to vibration or oscillation with the rotational mass. This becomes more prevalent and noticeable at higher RPMs, and more harmful to the engine.

- Yes the lightweight pulleys work and we can see minor potential gains. The negative effects may not be noticeable or recorded due to the fact we don't keep our engines at high RPMs 24/7. Granted any engine you keep at high RPM for any extended period of time is bound to fail.

My final thoughts:

- Neither side, for or against, has been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. If you want to get it, get it, if not, don't. But keep these thoughts in mind. This is YOUR car, do what you want to it, BUT it is your baby. Any mod out there has the potential to have an adverse effect. My car is my daily driver and I can not have it going out on me.

- The stock pulley weighs 5~6 lbs. Whether it frees up 5-10 hp, I could give a rat's a$$ because the damn pulleys cost ~$125. Don't get it for "show," you can't even see the damn thing. That $125 can go for something else that may be far more useful. This piece attaches to your CRANK shaft, potentially if not the most crucial piece of your motor. Is it really worth an $125 pulley to potentially destroy your motor and costing you several grand to repair in the end?

- This lightweight pulley was originally designed by racing / tuning companies, whose main goal to get every last ounce of power from any engine and reduce as much weight from any vehicle. So yes the pulleys will work and fit on our cars BUT they rebuild those motors after every race.

...food for thought

• 2 weeks later...

just threw the perrin lcp on my car this past weekend (5eat). overall i'm happy with the results, car does feel likes it revs more freely and does seem a bit smoother. could all be in my heard but for the $80 I paid I'm happy with the end results.

Install was very easy and went painlessly.

The lightweight pulleys are for ricer crowd. Racer crowd uses harmonic dampers with SFI certification.

now i just need to add some yellow "type R" stickers and I'll be all set. :lol:;)

just threw the perrin lcp on my car this past weekend (5eat). overall i'm happy with the results, car does feel likes it revs more freely and does seem a bit smoother. could all be in my heard but for the $80 I paid I'm happy with the end results.

Install was very easy and went painlessly.

now i just need to add some yellow "type R" stickers and I'll be all set. :lol:;)

What was your method to keep the crank from spinning on the auto?

What was your method to keep the crank from spinning on the auto?

removed the TMIC and the little black plug thing and used a pry bar (actually used the tire iron that comes with the leggy) to hold the flywheel while i cranked on the pulley bolt. i had a helper so it was easy doing it that way.

i felt that was the safest way to do it. i'm sure the crank the motor while bracing the breaker bar works too but i'm a novice when it comes to this stuff and didn;t want to take a chance of anythign breaking.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going for it...mainly because us 2.5i owners have very few performance mod options and this is one of them.

Besides that article from NASIOC showing a publish date of 1989, the original poster also added the following in the opening paragraph which is convincing enough for me to have confidence in this mod:

...Isn't replacing the stock harmonic damper (pulley) bad? Subarus do not come with a harmonic damper or balancer like some other vehicles do. For other manufacturers' vehicles, this is a legitimate concern. Proof:

"Thank you for your patience as I checked with our Technical Services Department regarding your message below. They advised that the crank pulley is a pulley and nothing else. It is not used as a harmonic damper/balancer.

Thanks for the opportunity to be of assistance. If you need any future assistance, please feel free to contact us again."

Best wishes,

John J. Mergen

Customer Service Department

Subaru of America, Inc."

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...hreadid=444518

• 2 years later...
Noticed perrin's site says a stretch belt installation tool is required for 08+ cars. Can anyone confirm this? Or is this tool maybe needed for the 08+ wrx? I have an 09 LGT. One other thing, those that installed one, did you need a pulley removal tool or did it slide off easily? Thanks

Archived