LegacyGT.com

Vertical Touch Screen Mod

Will it read a text to you?

Can you respond to a text with voice?

Can you do a voice search, then navigate to the location or call the location?

This thing has to do more than a simple Android Auto unit to make it worth it.

This particular app has pay to play functions, but if you can find an app that will do what you want, it can do it. I use Verizon's Message + and it installed, but I don't think you can talk to it (without looking crazy)

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This particular app has pay to play functions, but if you can find an app that will do what you want, it can do it. I use Verizon's Message + and it installed, but I don't think you can talk to it (without looking crazy)

I guess this is a fun toy, but it can't do what a basic 300 android auto head unit can do out of the box.

I don't have the time anymore to screw around trying to get things like this to work. Such a missed opportunity.

I guess this is a fun toy, but it can't do what a basic 300 android auto head unit can do out of the box.

I don't have the time anymore to screw around trying to get things like this to work. Such a missed opportunity.

You don't need Android auto to have txt messages read to you and voice reply. The Google voice assistant will read sms messages to you and ask you if you wish to reply. This can be done simply by being Bluetooth connected.

You don't need Android auto to have txt messages read to you and voice reply. The Google voice assistant will read sms messages to you and ask you if you wish to reply. This can be done simply by being Bluetooth connected.

What about google maps? Voice button on steering wheel?

Like I said where I'm at in life just want it all to work seamlessly out of the box.

A few things I could think of....

If it's not already, and if you can root it...you can make the device look like another device to the Play store which would allow you to download anything in the Play store's catalog.

Your volume is ridiculously loud because you're over driving the input on the stock amp. You would need to put a 4 channel line converter inline between the radio and the stock amp....basically, you'd have to go Radio --> Line Converter (which gives you RCA out) --> to modified RCAs (ends cut off) --> Stock Amp.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I just became member of this forum after Mrstacy sent me a link to this thread (found him on YT commenting about this unit). So far: thx for all the work done here. Looks like an interesting piece of hardware to install it in the Legacy and it looks like it might be doable.

Question related to the shop on aliexpress. They mention something about "It is highly appreciated if you can send us the dashboard photo and power cable for checking." - does this mean you should send a photo with the connectors of your radio (or you end up with a set of cables for Toyota)?

And another I just came across: does the HU use it's own light sensor and automatically switches between day and night mode? My stock navi is tied to the headlights of the car so I either can drive without lights on and break the local driving rules or have the navi always on night mode or have to manually switch between the modes each evening/morning.

And a third one: does the HU have some additonal USB connectors on the back So I can plug in additional devices like a DAB+ receiver box?

Alex

• 4 weeks later...

Some updates from my end: I did some digging in custom ROM forums about these "vertical Tesla style" radios after finding a mismatch in the description of the Android version on one of the pages of the vendors at Aliexpress (4.4.4 in the pictures, 6.0 in the text).

According to the people in the xda forum the Chinese guys fake the displayed version of the radios. they actually run 4.4.4 but show 6.0. In some cases they even fake the amount of installed RAM. Last but not least it is heavily depending on the almost not existing community to get an updated OS for these radios (Ford seems ok, rest not so much).

As a result I stopped the idea of installing one of these devices in my car. I'll look into the Pumpkin radios instead. They have a better customer support (plus a forum with installation tips).

What a shame, but I don't want to buy an Android radio just to find out that eventually some of the software I want to tun on it doesn't work.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Checked Pumpkin radios. Looked good, the have a 2-DIN regular android ( Android 8, 8 core, 4gb RAM) which can be used in a Subaru. Only an adapter for the bezzel is needed. Tried to ask some questions in the forum about details (like automatic switch between night and day mode), but my posts weren't released by the admin. no idea why, maybe they don't want to have such questions about (missing) features, whatever.

Did some more digging, found out that I also need an adapter for the steering wheel buttons which make the whole thing more complicated, plus the 2 DIN Pumpkin has the knob in a place on the left where it might collide with the radio adpater.

Some more Google Fu later I found a radio on Seicane which looked very interesting. Designed for the Subaru Legacy (Outback), double DIN but doesn't need an adapter to fit into the car: https://www.seicane.com/oem-2009-2013-subaru-outback-android-radio-dvd-player-gps-navigation-system-with-steering-wheel-control-bluetooth-wifi-backup-camera-obd2-dvr-dab-s32780g

Octacore, 4GB RAM, 32GB storage, no additional adapter for the steering wheel needed, cables built for Subaru. Found some YT videos about other radios sold by the same company, looked good, placed an order.

Update:

maybe they don't want to have such questions about (missing) features, whatever.

Woah there buddy your tin foil hat is coming loose. This forum has rules on how often you post so if you were making multiple posts back to back it would have prevented them from going through. The mods here very rarely take down posts and I've never seen it done for anything other than inappropriate content.

Woah there buddy your tin foil hat is coming loose. This forum has rules on how often you post so if you were making multiple posts back to back it would have prevented them from going through. The mods here very rarely take down posts and I've never seen it done for anything other than inappropriate content.
Just to clarify. I'm not the one posting about the touchscreen mod. Want to make sure there's no confusion. 🤣

• 3 weeks later...
Interested in how the Seicane works out for you

The Seicane doesn't work, but in detail:

My order was cancelled, they told me the HU doesn't fit. got my money back without issues. I picked a more or less random seller of such a 2 DIN radio from Aliexpress, and now I am working on the cables and adapters.

What I have at the moment is the original Subaru car radio with navigation system and rear view camera. I removed it to check the cables yesterday, and found the following cables:

O4sEpCW.jpg

I found a picture of the same type of radio, a Kenwood FXDA09ELEF2 according to the label on the net showing the back:

ADFqxdE.jpg

And here is what I got from China (via DHL in 3 days...)

Radio with cables

jxpfke3.jpg

And from behind, with DIN -> Subaru Adapter cable plugged in.

15Ld0sE.jpg

So I need to connect the following original cables/connectors the Subaru has:

20 Pin Plug (white, on the right in the picture above) -> this one goes into the adapter cable which was shipped with the android radio.

24 Pin Plug (white, on the left) -> seems to be the connectors for AUX in located in the arm rest between the front seats. Not figured out how to do this but it's not really important

6 Pin Plug (green, a little bit in the background) -> seems to be the connector for some car signals like the break and maybe also reverse gear (not sure about that). No solution found so far if I need this to be connected, what signals need to be pulled from here, we will see

8 Pin Plug (white, just behind the green one) - rear camera connector. Problem is that the Android wants the signal on a cinch cable and I didn't find a plug/connector, so I ordered this one here now: https://car-solutions.com/en/cable-for-rear-view-camera-connection-in-subaru-2008-2015.php

I hope by adding a double male cinch connector I can plug the camera into the video in of the radio and it works.

antenna cable: there is an adapter shipped with the radio, but it only has a short cable. I ordered a new Subaru ->DIN adapter cable (2.50 USD Aliexpress) plus a dab/fm signal splitter from Amazon (and a dab usb receiver) which goes into this branch of the cable tree.

If everything works and the green cable is not needed, then I am done. If not, well, work and a lot of Google Fu waits.

Actually think he meant the manufacturer's forum not ours.

Well, it was about the pumpkin forum. If you change the settings in a way that an admin must approve a post first before it becomes visible it's a bad idea not to release questions related to features of your products when a potential customer signs up to the forum.

My questions are still not visible after 2(?) months which is a no go for customer support and buying something from such a company.

• 3 months later...
The Seicane doesn't work, but in detail:

My order was cancelled, they told me the HU doesn't fit. got my money back without issues. I picked a more or less random seller of such a 2 DIN radio from Aliexpress, and now I am working on the cables and adapters.

I ordered this unit for my 2.5i and I was wondering what was the reason it did not fit?

• 1 month later...

You will maybe see it for yourself. The cables and connectors are heavily depending on the original radio (with navigation/gps, without, with whatever). Seems like Subaru is very creative here.

One example: I have a camera plus navigation system already installed. the camera runs on 6V which is drawn from the radio together with the signal for backward driving. I had to find a suitable plug for the camera plus a 12V -> 6V converter because the new radio only supplies 12V.

And there are more details.

After assembling everything my cable(s) look the following way:

20180427-1519-dsc_390ulusw.jpg

I was able to install the above unit and maintain car's USB functionality. I had to get a few adapters and I did go the stand alone rear view camera route. It was 100% plug and play for the base radio.

I am curious though did you remove any paint to mount the DAB kit. I am not wanting to remove any paint from my car

• 5 months later...
any comments on the audio quality on these? I've got an Australian delivered GT with the Mcintosh system ( nav, reverse , etc) but the system shat itself after we wired up some amps and stuff from the factory plug... it worked for a few days, but then blew a cap in the head unit... One of these would be perfect, but interested in the SQ... any advice?

Really wanting to upgrade my stereo to a nice double din unit that will interface with my iPhone, and have GPS and a backup camera. Finding a headunit is easy but the dash kits that are avail aren't so hot unless you spring for the $100+ JDM dash kit which I think is crazy money for a piece of plastic...especially when you can get the Metra kit for less than $20.

I like the idea of how the Seicane unit follows the contour of the dash but is it plug and play with my base radio in my 2012 Legacy Premium? Will stock bluetooth and steering wheel controls still work?

s-l1600.jpg.9fcc4cf688cf88279fe3d46f81dc28d2.jpg

Archived