LegacyGT.com

Vertical Touch Screen Mod

This also has me considering scrapping my Raspberry Pi project in favor of this.

Mr. Stacy, what exactly did the shop have to do? Just decipher which wire went to where on the harness? Did all those connectors have to be cut off and each wire individually spliced or did they mate correctly? Also, how is the fit and finish of the plastic piece compared to the stock one?

The technician explained that the included harness was for Toyota and he was having to splice everything together. he mentioned the speakers weren't straightforward. he had to bring an additional wire to get the sound right.

The fit and finish is excellent.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple things i don't like are:

1) The volume is too high. Having the radio on at level 3 is uncomfortably loud for me. Haven't found a way to set that. You can set the level for apps but not for radio and mp3 it seems.

2) When you start a music app, the radio continues to play. May be a setting that fixes that, haven't found it yet.

Far as setting the clock, it looks like cars with and without nav should both have the same clock module. Near as I can tell from looking at the vacation pics, it may end up being an instrument panel programming thing if the buttons on the clock module don't work.

Those buttons do work. i was used to just setting up the time zone in the navigation. Thanks for the heads up.

Those buttons do work. i was used to just setting up the time zone in the navigation. Thanks for the heads up.

Good to know. All I knew is that they don't do anything when you have nav, but it's nice that there's no programming changes needed.

Overall, liking this more and more despite the quirks (Radio volume too loud, Poor antenna signal)

1) The radio app of Sirius XM allows more stations than the physical radio

2) Radio is loud at 4, and it goes beyond 10. if the scale is linear, it goes to 30!

3) Like that i can set Waze as the default navigation. That means real-time traffic! Suggests alternate routes if it saves time.

4) I guess the Google Play store knows this is not a phone, can't download Netflix, Chamberlain MyQ (garage door monitor) and a few others for some reason.

5) Boot up time is a fair amount of time (i'll time it at some point), but it goes to reverse camera instantly.

6) Using the built-in Radio or Web Browser causes radio apps to stop, but using Chrome app fixes that problem.

7) I was hoping to use Chamberlain MyQ app to monitor garage door if i wanted, but it won't install - for now.

466808569_20171229_1719011.thumb.jpg.b39b864650092ad5fa1e3b218760f11f.jpg

You should be able to do that with MyQ, I'd think, even if Netflix won't run if sideloaded. There are a couple of websites you can use to download the app as a .apk file, and as long as you can enable installation of apps from unknown sources (should be in settings under security) and can get the file onto the head unit to install from a file manager app (or can plug into a computer to install via ADB), you should be golden.

I've never used android auto before, but I've heard of it. Why is it a sticking point for you? What do you like about it?

I'm genuinely curious, I've only heard complaints about it before now.

Well that's pretty much a no sale. I swore in the video you linked it showed Android Auto as an option, even though he didn't open it.

Pretty shady.

There is an admin area and a developer area that requires a password. Trying to get that to see if other options become available.

No Android head unit will support Android Auto. Android Auto is a protocol that allows an Android operating system to sync data/screen/apps with a device that is not running Android. Because all these head units actually run Android natively it doesn't quite compute.

I guess that kind of makes sense, but is there an easy way to cast my android phone screen onto the 10.4 display on this unit.

example, if I am playing music on my phone, can i connect my phone using bluetooth or USB to this android headunit and show my phone's music app on the headunit display. Same with navigation and google maps.

It would be a hassle to have to depend on a wifi hotspot to pull up google maps on the headunit.

I guess that kind of makes sense, but is there an easy way to cast my android phone screen onto the 10.4 display on this unit.

example, if I am playing music on my phone, can i connect my phone using bluetooth or USB to this android headunit and show my phone's music app on the headunit display. Same with navigation and google maps.

It would be a hassle to have to depend on a wifi hotspot to pull up google maps on the headunit.

Most of the Android head units do come with native screen mirroring capability. However, most of them also come with maps applications built-in that support offline navigation. The large-screened one referenced in this thread I am not sure on, but the double DIN devices all do (that I've seen).

Mrstacy, can you tell us what is the phonelink function on the headunit? How does it work and what does it do?

Thanks!!

That is the one thing that flat out doesn't seem to work with android phone, but the tech connected easily with an iphone. i gave up for now.

iphone took only a few seconds via wifi

Mrstacy, I am so glad you took one for the team and became our guinea pig. I can't even express how jealous I am of this setup, and how much I would like to put one of these in my Leggy. This is the closest thing I have ever imagined a carputer would look like... The only thing missing is Jarvis.

Do you have any way of uploading a video of the interface, or a video of you driving to show how the navigation system works?

Mrstacy, I am so glad you took one for the team and became our guinea pig. I can't even express how jealous I am of this setup, and how much I would like to put one of these in my Leggy. This is the closest thing I have ever imagined a carputer would look like... The only thing missing is Jarvis.

Do you have any way of uploading a video of the interface, or a video of you driving to show how the navigation system works?

They had google maps as the default navigation i think. But, you can go into settings and pick one of the downloaded apps to be the default. i chose Waze. I like it for the real time traffic reporting.

Well that's pretty much a no sale. I swore in the video you linked it showed Android Auto as an option, even though he didn't open it.

Pretty shady.

I installed AutoMateapp which puts music, Navigation, calendar and contacts all in one place.

20180104_170751.thumb.jpg.64093ac2c41141c508a912f93a393efe.jpg

I installed AutoMateapp which puts music, Navigation, calendar and contacts all in one place.

Will it read a text to you?

Can you respond to a text with voice?

Can you do a voice search, then navigate to the location or call the location?

This thing has to do more than a simple Android Auto unit to make it worth it.

Archived