LegacyGT.com

The Official F1 Thread - V2

SBT

Just as interesting as Alonso, what is Ricciardo going to do? Stay at Red Bull thus precluding an Alonso move there? Mercedes when Hamilton has hinted he doesn't want a competitive teammate? Ferrari? Certainly not McLaren in their current form.

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Team > individual though

Not necessarily. Team when the team is so dominant either driver can win it without losing to another team. Senna/Prost/McLaren 1988.

Hamilton/Alonso/McLaren 2007 did not work so well for those guys.

Mercedes is not dominant as it used to be. Nor Ferrari or Red Bull. Can they afford to split their challenge for the WDC which despite claims to the contrary, means more commercially than any manufacturers championship? In these circumstances, a team leader and a consistent points guy in the second car might make more sense.

I'm not working today so I watched a VW Golf race at Lime Rock from 1987. It reminded me of one of my first impressions of real racing, when I went to Watkins Glen a few years earlier for the 6 hr IMSA GTP race. As we pulled into the track to find a camping spot, I chose the down hill turn at the end of the main straight. A Golf race was going on and three cars were side by side into the downhill. I thought immediately this can't end well. The inside guy peeled off into the inside rail, the outside guy spun out to the outside rail and the middle guy made it through. I yelled to my girlfriend, "This is going to be a GREAT weekend!" And it was.

What's your first great in person race track memory?

Freaky. Ferrari is considering bringing Leclerc from Sauber on board to replace Kimi in 2019. I think the only driver in recent times with little experience in F1 b4 moving to Ferrari was Stefan Johannson, who only had two season under his belt b4 Ferrari hired him for 85-86. Leclerc has only 8 races so far and one season after this year if he completes it.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferrari-ready-to-replace-raikkonen-with-leclerc-1047195/

The Ferrari guys are making close to 50 each, aren't they? I imagine Lewis is up there too...

Danny's worth damn near that much as well.

From what I've read, Vettel $60 mil, Lewis $50 mil, Apparently Daniel is on$6 mil with RB.

It comes down to money or championships, sometimes. Ferrari says they can't afford Vettel and Ricciardo. Mercedes? Hamilton will try to put the damper on that, although they can afford both. McLaren's woes with Honda in the past are as much McLaren issues and not nec Honda (as evidenced from their preseason testing woes), and McLaren's aero ain't what it used to be. I don't think that will get better soon.

If I was Ricciardo, I'd do a one year deal with RB with a team performance option that only he can invoke for a second year. Or if he can get his foot in the door with Mercedes, ousting Bottas, get a decent salary with a nice bonus for points and wins.

So far Red Bull is decent and I'll say that he should stay. As for Ferrari and Mercedes those teams seem to have the right driver combinations right now - no strong conflict between the drivers.

If I were to choose I'd kick out Verstappen and pick someone else instead just to avoid future crash parties.

453747.png

Anyone see qualifying at the French GP? Lewis on pole, of course. McLaren didn't get out of Q3. Ricciardo would be an idiot to go there given their steady decline to Williams' abyss of performance. Renault is a better bet.

I was really sad to see Grosjean in his Haas get to Q3 then promptly stick it in the wall on his first flying lap, but it looked like he just broke his front wing, nothing else. Does anyone know if repairing the front end will violate parc ferme rules giving Grosjean a grid penalty? I hope not. He's provisionally Q10 but hasn't scored a single point this year despite being fast.

So far Red Bull is decent and I'll say that he should stay. As for Ferrari and Mercedes those teams seem to have the right driver combinations right now - no strong conflict between the drivers.

If I were to choose I'd kick out Verstappen and pick someone else instead just to avoid future crash parties.

I don't know if you were watching F1 in the 80s, Nils, but Andrea de Cesaris was nick named Andrea de Crasheris becz of his frequent crashes early in his career.

It was a high speed circuit back in the 70s and 80s and produced races a lot like the Hockenheim did. Adrian Newey's 2nd F1 car of his own design, the 1989 Leyton House was leading Prost's McLaren Honda until just a few laps to go the Leyton House driven by Ivan Capelli developed a motor issue and had to back off, let Prost past, but still finished 2nd. It was the first real narrow tub car and the rest of the teams soon copied the philosophy.

There was no chicane on the main straight back then. The drivers want it gone for next year. That would bring back the old track and lead to passing at the end of the main straight. Alonso said after qualifying that the race will be processional since it is tough to pass. I hope it rains.

http://shop.planetf1.com/images/detailed/2/Screen_Shot_2015-02-26_at_17.14.51.png?t=1439201924

Edited by KartRacerBoy

I don't know if you were watching F1 in the 80s, Nils, but Andrea de Cesaris was nick named Andrea de Crasheris becz of his frequent crashes early in his career.

Unfortunately we were cut off from watching F1 here for over a decade after the death of Ronnie Peterson.

453747.png

Whaaaaat? Why? Swedes were only interested in F1 if a Swede was driving? Stefan Johansson was in F1 from 1984 onward.

Surely it wasn't becz Ronnie died. Hell, aside from Monaco on ABC Wide World of Sports, we in the US didn't get season long coverage until ESPN covered it in 1984. No interest.

Whaaaaat? Why? Swedes were only interested in F1 if a Swede was driving? Stefan Johansson was in F1 from 1984 onward.

And we only got news about that in newspapers and the occasional 9 o'clock news.

Motorsports was suddenly extremely politically incorrect after Ronnie died.

453747.png