LegacyGT.com

The Official F1 Thread - V2

SBT

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not F1 related but WEC...

I think there's a rule saying the hybrid cars in WEC need to be electric only when in the pit lane so I guess Toyota was close to the end of the pit lane here when they fired up the gas engine.

"Lemme fire up satan here to compensate for being an electric only weiner for a bit"

Man, this really makes me want to see a WEC race

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho-dyfI0hAM]Hybrid Endurance Race Car Switching From Electric to Gas Engine Sound - YouTube[/ame]

Nico is a YouTube Vlogger now. He has some great videos out, here's a good one with Mika driving the new McLaren P1.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40oSH-ABYow]MCLAREN P1 ON MONACO GP TRACK WITH MIKA HÄKKINEN | NICO ROSBERG | eVLOG - YouTube[/ame]

My wife's balls are delicious.

Not the same thing but there is a great book on construction methods to make a modern F1 car back in the 90s and not much has changed in terms of chassis construction. The book got poo-pooed in its day becz it was about the Lola F1 car but it still gave great insight into what the constructors do.

And now it's on Amazon for $4 as a hardcover. Well worth the pocket change. I have it in my library.

https://www.amazon.com/Modern-Formula-One-Race-Car/dp/0879388234

All those sparks flying off the cars lately due to them touching the ground bugs me quite a bit.

Insufficient ground clearance and loss of ground effect was what took out Senna once upon a time, and we don't want a new bad accident just because a car hits the ground a bit too hard - it's enough with locking wheels with each other.

453747.png

Those sparks are from magnesium strips on the flat bottom. They got rid of them becz of drivers fear they could partial melt their visors, distorting vision. They came back to increase "the show."

As for Senna, no one is sure yet if he went off becz his hastily modified steering shaft broke when he tried to correct after grounding or if the grounding czed the crash all by itself.

I would love to Ricciardo win the WDC. Anyone but Ferrari. And I want to see a Haas on the podium. And I want to see Williams at least be mid-pack again.

Funny that the two monster teams from the 80s to the first decade of the 21st century (Williams and McLaren) have fallen off a cliff after the retirements of their original principles (Frank Williams, Patrick Head, and Ron Dennis). Well, I guess not really.

Edited by KartRacerBoy

And I want to see a Haas on the podium. And I want to see Williams at least be mid-pack again.

Funny that the two monster teams from the 80s to the first decade of the 21st century (Williams and McLaren) have fallen off a cliff after the retirements of their original principles (Frank Williams, Patrick Head, and Ron Dennis). Well, I guess not really.

Have to agree with that, Really enjoyed watching those teams back then.

Good race today, nice to see Max's dad right there too.

Was good to see Berger there too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I was watching a video of former kart racer and Champ Car driver Memo Gidley, and it brought to mind a question. Who are your favorite race car drivers and why? Mine:

Memo Gidley becz he, like me raced karts and well into his early teens. But professionally. And I met him at Indy with a pit pass. His car was plain white and at the entry of the pit road far from anyone else. I chatted with his crew. I had brought one my karting stickers (Race on Sunday. Litigate on Monday) and asked if they would put it on the car for the day for a $100. Memo said that was good beer money and he did it. Put it on the rear wing. :lol:

Alex Zanardi. Personable and a no holds barred racer who wasn't dirty on track. Never met him, but I wept when he lost his legs in Germany. Then he showed the world what a wonderman he was, living for his family and overcoming his loss.

Ayrton Senna. The ultimate warrior on track but a bit of a nut that lost himself at least one championship from his no hold barred attitude.

Alain Prost. Becz he wasn't Senna. He was as fast in a race as Senna but was thoughtful, not impulsive like Senna. If I was a team manager, I'd pick Prost over Senna. If I was a major sponsor and had a say, I'd pick Senna over Prost. Prost for championships. Senna for publicity.

Go Haas! Grosjean qualified 6th and Magnussen 8th, but Grosjean will start 5th due to a Vettel 3 place grid penalty. And Hass split the Red Bulls! Please don't crash at the start again Roman.

Lettuce has come a long way from his Renault days of trying to beat Maldonado in numbers of crashes per season :lol:

Without a doubt, those last 8 or 10 laps we're the best laps so far this season.

Hell of a drive from Hammy but Vettel had a flier start again. I was surprised with Kimi's reaction to the penalty during the post race interview. Tons and tons of passing.

Without a doubt, those last 8 or 10 laps we're the best laps so far this season.

Hell of a drive from Hammy but Vettel had a flier start again. I was surprised with Kimi's reaction to the penalty during the post race interview. Tons and tons of passing.

Yeah, those last laps were great. Bottas did a hell of a job keeping Vettel behind him for several laps, especially at the restart, with his tires so old and shot. Watching him wiggle exiting the turn on acceleration b4 Vettel got him, I knew the game was up. At first I questioned if Bottas was told to move over for Hammy, but it seemed that Lewis did a better job nursing his tires so that pass was inevitable, as proven by Kimi's pass soon thereafter.

I do question why Kimi's 10sec penalty was bigger than Vettel's 5 sec at Austria. Vettel's contact seemed worse than Kimi's. A little consistency would be nice, but I do like that now the drivers can take the penalty at a regular pit stop rather than pit separately for the penalty. Makes more sense.

I doubt this stupid young American kid is going to make it to F1, and that's a good thing.

He was driving in the paddock in his F2 car while on his cell phone and his race glove off. Then he deliberately crashed into his teammate on the cool down lap. Now he faces at least a two race ban while being at the bottom of the points.

Hey stupid. FOCUS! You obviously didn't get to F2 with talent.

https://www.motorsport.com/fia-f2/news/ferrucci-handed-ban-for-deliberate-maini-hit-1057775/

Yeah, those last laps were great. Bottas did a hell of a job keeping Vettel behind him for several laps, especially at the restart, with his tires so old and shot. Watching him wiggle exiting the turn on acceleration b4 Vettel got him, I knew the game was up. At first I questioned if Bottas was told to move over for Hammy, but it seemed that Lewis did a better job nursing his tires so that pass was inevitable, as proven by Kimi's pass soon thereafter.

I do question why Kimi's 10sec penalty was bigger than Vettel's 5 sec at Austria. Vettel's contact seemed worse than Kimi's. A little consistency would be nice, but I do like that now the drivers can take the penalty at a regular pit stop rather than pit separately for the penalty. Makes more sense.

Penalty makes sense if you consider that Kimi didn’t lose position, but Vettel did — hence a 10 sec for Kimi vs 5 sec for Vettel.

I thought it was a first lap racing incident.

Agreed with it being a simple first lap racing incident... Kimi "had room" if you force him to take an extremely inside line.

Mercedes flying off the handle thinking Ferrari is targeting them is, in Vettel's words, "silly." Vettel said it himself that he'd struggle to be that accurate or precise with a hit, implying it's hard to take someone out like that without damaging your own car. It's not worth the risk.