LegacyGT.com

Torn Front CV Boot - Replace or Rebuild Axle?

I mentioned that I had only heard about this happening when aftermarket axles are installed as a replacement. He agreed that is also correct and that the only true way to fix it is by replacing with OEM remanufactured or OEM axles. And that, if the boot is cracked or just barely starting to go the boot itself can be replaced, however, if the boot is fully cracked and throwing grease everywhere its too late and if repaired with a new boot IT WILL eventually cause a vibration.

I think that's debatable. If you catch it quickly after the boot cracks, I'd argue you're likely fine. However if you've driven on it for a while after it's broken (and the joint has lost its grease and picked up dirt, etc.), then I'd tend to agree with this mechanic.

Eh, I know I'm in the minority here, but like I said in another CV axle thread, I've used aftermarket axles (all cardone if it matters) before in multiple cars, including my current OB. They were fine. I've taken two subarus to 120+ MPH on aftermarket cv axles with no vibration, and they all lasted 2+ years.

On the turbo subaru's the front passenger CV axle seems to like to split sooner than the others due to the heat and proximity to the downpipe.

MrMileHighGuy,

my car definitely has this vibration at a stop light.

I don't believe a CV will cause that to happen.

a lot of statements seem to associate the vibration at stop light to be CV related.

If you do not agree, what do you think is the root cause of this vibration?

Rubber deteriorates eventually, some are going to hold up longer than others, though. Subaru OEM is one of the better ones. EMPI available at NAPA is decent, also.

Is EMPI still made? I've had good luck on mine (40k miles and 5 years). Went to get some for a friends car and can't find them anywhere.

a lot of statements seem to associate the vibration at stop light to be CV related.

If you do not agree, what do you think is the root cause of this vibration?

One argument I read that makes the most sense is related to aftermarket axles. Aftermarket cuts the splines that go into the transmission slightly looser, so it's basically moving back and forth while your sitting still.

With that in mind, EMPI on my 05LGT has been good for 40k miles and 5 years. I had to reboot/grease my 2012 outback's inner boot, no issues at all.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

I had just finished rebooting the front axles last weekend. 13 years and 100k miles. The grease in 3 of the 4 boots still looked good. 4th one's grease was clearly thinner when I cut the boots off. Whole job...3-4hrs.

Got to looking into doing the rear axles now. Rock auto lists just a rear inner boot. And while looking at mine they look similar to each other. I'll look at dealer costs in a few. Anyone else who's done the rears please chime in. I'd like to do some things before the really cold weather gets here

I believe NAPA has (or at least did have) a kit with grease, clamps and boot. It is branded NAPA, but made by EMPI.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/CTD6862450

Ah yeah they still make the rebuild kits but not the whole axles like before it seems :(.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

• 4 weeks later...
I ordered a replacement from FEBEST on amazon. Within 8 months it tore again. It had a 1 year warranty and they sent me a new one. Had to install it both times but it got easier the second time. $23 shipped and 1.5 hours per job. MARK CAMBER ADJUSTMENT BOLT.

I had a local place put a new CV axle in my Legacy GT when the boot was torn. This was back in 2012. It cost about $90 for the part. I'm not sure if it was new or remanufactured. I've heard it's better to get an OEM axle, but I decided to take the chance for that price. I have no complaints so far.

Archived