LegacyGT.com

Legacy as a family car?

Hello Legacy GT forum,

I am here today because I have been looking at the 2015 Legacy as my next car. We have a new member entering the family in 6 months and my wife insists that I get a more family friendly car which is understandable being how we have an RX-8. I have already been looking through a few sites at the Legacy and have found some nice ones on here https://www.for-sale.ie/subaru-legacy now I just need your help making my final choice before a test drive.

I'm looking for your guy's thoughts on the Legacy, all thoughts and opinion are greatly appreciated,

I suppose first of all would you call the Legacy a family car?

how does it drive? smooth and comfortable? or could it be better?

Is there anything known for going wrong?

What are the pros and cons?

Finally, when I go to test drive one is there anything I should be looking out for?

Cheers

http://wordpress.autoclubhub.com/subaru-uk/wp-content/uploads/sites/19/2014/03/2015_subaru_legacy_coupe_11.6ron15kjufwgg8404c0occ8g8.a5fuq7lrqzkgc0ccw4ss08gso.th_.jpeg

If you don't need the AWD there are much better deals to be had in its sector. Much better Tech as well.

Have you driven one yet? It's slower than death and handles like an aircraft carrier.

If AWD isn't a must you'd be much better off in a V6 camry/accord, especially coming from an rx8.

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

I was getting rid of my 3 series and decided to give Subaru a try. I test drove a BRZ and my son wouldn't fit in the back. So we got the Legacy as the family car. We like it. A full size adult fits in the back. A car seat in the middle makes it a little tight for an adult but two kids in the back with a baby seat fits fine.

I opted for the 3.6.

I'm keeping the Subaru as my family/all year car but I'm going back to BMW for my next car because I want a convertible.

Whenever the Legacy has to go, I will get an Outback or the Ascent as my all year car.

I need to tow a camper.

http://wordpress.autoclubhub.com/subaru-uk/wp-content/uploads/sites/19/2014/03/2015_subaru_legacy_coupe_11.6ron15kjufwgg8404c0occ8g8.a5fuq7lrqzkgc0ccw4ss08gso.th_.jpeg

Anyone else notice that this is a render of the Legacy as a 2-door coupe? For the record, the Legacy only exists as a 4-door sedan, the picture you posted is a modified render.

Anyone else notice that this is a render of the Legacy as a 2-door coupe? For the record, the Legacy only exists as a 4-door sedan, the picture you posted is an modified render.

Haha I looked right at it and didn't notice. nice catch....I wonder how many others didn't even notice. Maybe that is why the OP is curious if its a good family car lol :lol:

It is a great family car, plenty of room for two car seats in the rear (using the rear doors lol), and the trunk is plenty big.

There are a lot of opinions and choices for sure. Depends on your definition of "family" car but if it includes AWD, Eyesight+ telematics and Safety rating (5 Star) then I would consider it. There is a lot of griping about what the car "isn't" but depending on what you feel is important, it may be a good choice. Especially the 3.6....

As others have said: Legacy is a decent car. But, the 2.5i's main "advantage" over the competition is AWD. If you don't need that, coming from a "sporty" car, you won't enjoy the 2.5i's performance. 3.6 is another matter.

Put it this way: I really like my upgraded GT wagon - but if my only choice in the Subaru family was the 2.5i, I would NOT be driving a Subaru.

As others have said: Legacy is a decent car. But, the 2.5i's main "advantage" over the competition is AWD. If you don't need that, coming from a "sporty" car, you won't enjoy the 2.5i's performance. 3.6 is another matter.

Put it this way: I really like my upgraded GT wagon - but if my only choice in the Subaru family was the 2.5i, I would NOT be driving a Subaru.

100% agree with above. I would of looked elsewhere as well.

Based on 30,000 miles of personal experience, my opinion is that the 2.5 engine in the Legacy is fully adequate for a "family car." The Legacy with a 2.5 is not a sports sedan ... nor was it ever intended to be.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

The Legacy with a 2.5 is not a sports sedan ... nor was it ever intended to be.

nor is the 3.6...that's why they make the WRX (also, interestingly, a 4 door sedan...with sportier acceleration and handling, albeit, rougher ride and noisier)

I recently rejoined the forum after not owning a Legacy for a while. I purchased a used 2015 Legacy Premium with Eyesight.

I have to disagree with anyone who would tell you that you won't like the car (in general or the 2.5i, specifically), because you're coming from an RX-8. You MAY not like it, but that's not for sure. I've owned a Ford Focus ST, WRX, Civic SI, and an STI. My wife and I also currently own a 2014 Forester XT. I have a family now, too, which means my priorities have shifted from must-go-fast! to must-go-safely. I don't feel that I've had to completely lose all joy to keep my family safe or to get more room. The Legacy is pretty slow, but it's actually not as slow as the 0-60MPH would lead you to believe. The acceleration is adequate (I mean that in a positive way). The suspension, seats, tires, sound-deadening, etc. are vastly different than many other sporty cars I've owned, but the handling is also adequate, with the added bonus of making the Legacy a lot better of a cruiser than a lot of other economy-car-based sports cars.

Ill add more later if I have time. I've got to check in for jury duty now!

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

I agree a Legacy makes a nice all around decent Cruiser.

Is it equal to my past Euros no but the 3.6 does hold it on. Considering the price point with all the safety it is really the best kept secret out there.

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul [emoji847]

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

I recently rejoined the forum after not owning a Legacy for a while. I purchased a used 2015 Legacy Premium with Eyesight.

I have to disagree with anyone who would tell you that you won't like the car (in general or the 2.5i, specifically), because you're coming from an RX-8. You MAY not like it, but that's not for sure. I've owned a Ford Focus ST, WRX, Civic SI, and an STI. My wife and I also currently own a 2014 Forester XT. I have a family now, too, which means my priorities have shifted from must-go-fast! to must-go-safely. I don't feel that I've had to completely lose all joy to keep my family safe or to get more room. The Legacy is pretty slow, but it's actually not as slow as the 0-60MPH would lead you to believe. The acceleration is adequate (I mean that in a positive way). The suspension, seats, tires, sound-deadening, etc. are vastly different than many other sporty cars I've owned, but the handling is also adequate, with the added bonus of making the Legacy a lot better of a cruiser than a lot of other economy-car-based sports cars.

Ill add more later if I have time. I've got to check in for jury duty now!

Being able to merge on a highway isn't part of safety? :lol:

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

I completely disagree.

Do I wish the 2.5 had some more power, absolutely who doesn't. But that being said, I don't think the power that it does have is a safety concern.

I've had a 2.5 liter motor in two Legacy's now,and a 2016 Outback, racking up over 200K miles between the three vehicles. I've never have felt I couldn't safely merge on the highway driving the speed limit. I've owned vehicles with far more power, and the enthusiast in me wants more. From a practicality stand point, its sufficient for what it is, a safe, reliable, family vehicle.

To each his own, but with 4 people, 2 of them in car seats in the rear, and rather large trunk, it holds its own in the market segment. Like I said, I would love to hit 60 in 5 seconds, but its not a necessity to most families out there.

The Legacy is pretty slow, but it's actually not as slow as the 0-60MPH would lead you to believe. The acceleration is adequate (I mean that in a positive way).

They aren't that slow that they are dangerous to merge on highway. As mention above, the acceleration is adequate. I can merge when towing my 1300# boat with my 2.5i (The boat really slows it down). My GT is more fun to drive and gets up to speed quicker, but I can't think any instance where I needed the extra hp to merge with my 2.5i on highway. The only instances I can think of where my GT is safer is when passing a slower car on a 2 lane road.

As a family car, it is intended to compete with Camry and Accord, and offers AWD. Think AWD Camry with the base engine and you will be in the ballpark.

Coming from an RX-8, I think you will find the newer Legacies are not that engaging to drive. In previous generations, Subaru seemed to be aiming for a kind of Japanese Audi target. This did not have the kind of mainstream appeal they wanted. People complained there was not enough space, ride was too rough, too noisy, poor fuel economy, etc. So, they made the cars bigger, made them more isolated from the road, added more sound deadening material, ditched manual transmission for CVT only, went with electric power steering, etc.

Subaru succeeded in terms of gaining mainstream sales, but took away most everything that appealed to enthusiasts and lost some of their uniqueness.

They aren't that slow that they are dangerous to merge on highway.

It's a death trap, a death trap I tell you!

I mean, a 2.5 liter engine? in a midsize car, 175 hp?

(2017 Accord 185hp, Camry 178hp, Altima 179hp, Mazda 6, 184hp)

So many deathtraps, I wonder why I see so many of them on the highway?

I guess we all should be in WRX's?

PS: don't tell the Impreza guys...

p.p.s: I am the dude merging on the highway at speed, in a deathtrap. Never had a problem...

^^^ that post is so dripping with sarcasm, it got my computer screen wet.

I agree entirely. The 2.5i holds its own as a family car. If your margin for error in passing or merging is two cylinders, your driving too close to the stupid line IMHO.

If you need to drive mountains and like to pass everyone with four adults in the car and a trunk full, get six cylinders.

Are you serious or are you being sarcastic. The "lol" makes you post kind of ambiguous.

I've got a really nasty merge on my commute every day (made better by the fact that I make it at 0530, so traffic isn't too bad). The ramp is uphill, short, and curves to the right, onto a 65 MPH highway that everyone drive 70-75+; most jerks don't even get over, even if the other lane is open. On top of that, I have to immediately exit < 1 mile from when I get on the highway.

I've only owned the Legacy for about a week, but I inherited my wife's Civic several years ago, after we had a kid, because it made more sense to have the Forester XT. The Civic is even slower than the Legacy and I've never had a problem with merging, nor passing. I can't pass like I did in my STI (or now in the FXT), but you get used to what you can do and appreciate the trade-off, which includes a much more comfortable cruising vehicle.

in the end, the Legacy is actually a beast and passes cars with ease lol. :rolleyes:

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

There are a lot of opinions and choices for sure. Depends on your definition of "family" car but if it includes AWD, Eyesight+ telematics and Safety rating (5 Star) then I would consider it. There is a lot of griping about what the car "isn't" but depending on what you feel is important, it may be a good choice. Especially the 3.6....

^^ This car does nothing exceptionally well and nothing exceptionally poorly. That's actually a very good thing, with all the choices out there that seriously under deliver.

I love my '16 3.6R with Eyesight, but in two years will probably change to something else that has a little better ride and less road noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^ This car does nothing exceptionally well and nothing exceptionally poorly. That's actually a very good thing, with all the choices out there that seriously under deliver. I love my '16 3.6R with Eyesight, but in two years will probably change to something else that has a little better ride and less road noise.

I understand what you are trying to say here, but taking into account your own following statement about loving your 3.6R with Eyesight, perhaps you should have said that at the very least Eyesight is something that the car does exceptionally well, rather than "this car does nothing exceptionally well" :)

Archived