LegacyGT.com

Subaru H6 Twin Turbo MY06/07

agctr

If Subaru were to release a 3.0TT engine, I personally believe that Subaru would certainly have the rest of the package to mate it to.

Oh yes please!!! Also with fatter tires (hence more flared wheel archers - similar to what BMW had to do). Plus add some more rear lights on the boot lid like virtually all other cars. Tad more flares on the side bottoms and rear corners. 6-speed manual, auto and SMG options. LED lights all round (except headlights – still a few years away). Variable suspension control. Dozens of mod cons as options then you have a world-class luxury sports car that would make even M3 buyers think twice. I know - I’m dreaming.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't read all 11 previous pages... so I apologize if this is rhetorical.

Honestly gents.... do you want a high HP vehicle that ANYBODY can go get and probably WILL have!

Kinda like the EVO. Every yuppy with a gullable disposition went out and bought their teenager one! Next thing you know.... you've got these 18 year olds who don't know what a 40hr work week is pushing a 400AWHP sports sedan cause mommy & daddy ponied up the dough!

W/ our Legacy as is.... it requires knowledge & wrench time to acheive what we want.

That's why I'm kinda glad the JDM Spec B bumper didn't come standard on ours. This way I can get the bumper (all be it expensive) and be one of the few to have it.

Plus.... with the few people who are venturing off into the higher HP/TQ setups are leaving us with the notes on "dos' & don'ts" for reference..... so we can get up there and still retain some sleeper status amongst the powerhouse ranks!

I kinda dig that!

**Again... I apologize if somebody already said this!**

It is the disposition of men to desire that which he cannot have, hence my un-quenchable wet desire for Shakira!

MUD, in one way u sort of sumed it up.

Only 300 fine examples of the Liberty STi available here in Oz, meant ppl that only really wanted them, paid the premium, hence they wanted something not everyone could have.

Ada///M.

• 4 weeks later...
Looks like IWSS was correct regarding the H6T but it wont be going into anything that resembles a LGT or WRX anytime soon if EVER.....

Ada///M.

A couple people on NASIOC who work at Subaru of America have said that the H6T is definitely going into the Tribeca, with a strong likelihood of going into the Legacy for the US market. Not sure about other markets.

There's also the persistent rumor of a Tribeca-based sedan slightly larger than the Legacy, but nothing seen yet by said SOA employees.

They have also confirmed that the 6-speed tranny is definitely going into the 2007 Legacy Spec B. Not sure if the turbo 6 will make it into the Legacy for 2007, but 2008 is looking likely.

Go check the News & Rumors section at NASIOC.

A couple people on NASIOC who work at Subaru of America have said that the H6T is definitely going into the Tribeca, with a strong likelihood of going into the Legacy for the US market. Not sure about other markets.

There's also the persistent rumor of a Tribeca-based sedan slightly larger than the Legacy, but nothing seen yet by said SOA employees.

They have also confirmed that the 6-speed tranny is definitely going into the 2007 Legacy Spec B. Not sure if the turbo 6 will make it into the Legacy for 2007, but 2008 is looking likely.

Go check the News & Rumors section at NASIOC.

That is very nice to hear!!!

At least SOA is thinking about the competition!!!!!!

heheheheheheh

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

']Correction. A couple of people on NASIOC who work at Subaru dealerships have said ...

Big difference.

Jon, people who actually work at SOA in Indiana made some comments too, so don't be so hasty in discounting the comments.

They have indeed shared some interesting information.

Doubt all you want - you'll be proven wrong soon enough.

Sorry, should have said SIA.

Personally I find that ppl at dealerships have big mouth and spill comments that they cant back up. I totally think the 6MT will come in the SpecB for the USDM considering we have had the 6MT with our SpecB's since day 1. But I do not believe that engine will be going anywhere near the Legacy in 200X but might creep in beyond 20XX.

Ada///M.

Where is SUBE555 aka Seth, he knows more about this.....

But I do not believe that engine will be going anywhere near the Legacy in 200X but might creep in beyond 20XX.

Maybe the H6T won't come to the Legacy in '07, but I think 2008 is a real possibility. If the engine will already exist in the Tribeca, I don't see any reason why they wouldn't put it in the Legacy eventually, if there are no packaging problems. 2008 will be the fourth year of this Legacy in the USA, and carmakers like to freshen their lineup, especially near the end of a particular model's run. Next year (2007) looks like seeing some enhancements to the Spec B package, and for '08, I could definitely see them doing a real Legacy STi with the turbo H6.

DAMMMMMITTTTT!

I want a H6T Legacy, but I really don't think I can wait for 2008. I have drooled over Legacies for two years already, and don't want to wait another year and a half beyond that to get one.

A Turbo-4 legacy is great, with a 6MT hopefully even better. But a turbo-flat-6 is probably going to be much better even yet. Torquier, higher horsepower potential, and smoother running than even a great four cylinder, all at the same time, if done right... Damn, that all sounds nice.

I know subaru doesn't operate on my schedule, nor should it... but the timing, IF TRUE, is a bit frustrating for me. They'll probably badge it a Legacy STI, and paint it WR Blue, too, and we'll find out about it 6 months after I buy a Legacy for myself... Sorry, but gotta vent at even the possibility.

I guess I'll have to save my money, and MOD, MOD, MOD. Unless Subaru announces it in the Legacy for 07... but i doubt it.

Maybe I'll have to lie in wait for a damaged '08 benign chewbacca, and grab the engine and ancillaries, tear it down, and build it up as a killer twin turbo flat 6 (much nastier than anything subaru would put in a stock SUV...), and drop it into my Legacy when the engine gets built... Or build a kit car around it, or something... Yeah. Pie in the sky, I know.

H6T for the Tribeca?

I still can't figure out Subaru of North America's rationale on why they don't put more sportiness into the LGT. They could have a real sales winner if the push the sports side a little more and offer amenities already found in Legacy from other parts of the world.

It would be a real kick in the teeth for Subaru to put the highest performance engine in a SUV/minivan/crossover thingy before a sporty car/sedan/coupe.

I would buy a 400hp legacy. The car magazines would have a field day. Comparos against M5s and RS6s. It would be great. As long as it is 45k or less it would sell. Not in huge numbers but it would allow subaru to work into the luxury sport market. Kinda of a Halo car.

I don't see it happening with the current generation Legacy. With the cost of federalizing the car, there is little return for doing it on a limited edition model that is in its twilight years. With apologies to the dealers who will say anything - errr - are in the know...

If they do that... I hear a swap :) hehe... I would FO SHO do a swap from the 2.5 to a H6TT :) hehe... Hell yea, take that Mr... "My 05 mustang has so much power that blah blah blah... and im putting a supercharger in it blah blah blah..." :) Take a nice little 4 door sedan to the drag and Boyachasha... :) hehe
If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

My guess is they are putting a turbo in the Tribeca out of necessity, not because there is demand for a high-performance Tribeca.

+1, although it may have been the plan all along, as a way to freshen up the Tribeca line.

My guess is they are putting a turbo in the Tribeca out of necessity, not because there is demand for a high-performance Tribeca.

The small SUV segment is so tight that it is going to take more than a turbo H6 to increase Tribeca sales...

Unfortunately, demand for a turbo H6 in a Legacy with a 6MT and Spec B suspension is limited to Subaru performance enthusiasts.

Any car company that wants to sell needs a bread and butter line. Any car company that wants to generate brand equity they don't have needs to concentrate on enthusiasm.

There is one way, and two methods to generate enthusiasm in the automotive industry. Value is the way, and low price is the first method. Low price for the equipment offered is how Hyundai is making leaps and bounds, Accord and Camry selling well, and GM's attempt at value by cutting prices VERY far back for the illusion of value... Discounts sell just about anything.

The second method is offering more for the same price, or A LOT more stuff for a little more money. Hence a lot of luxury re-branding, and performance branding. (Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, and Performance nameplating such as SVT, SRT, -R, -V, S-(audi and volvo), redline, SS, AMG, and ///M. Oh, and don't forget STI.

SUVs aren't irrelevant, but they aren't the king they once were. the current fad (and I do mean fad, as in fad dieting...) is "fuel efficiency." Everybody wants to save a little at the pump, which isn't new nor going away any time soon; but this whole atmosphere of self-recrimination and self-effacement over the cultural construction of the "environment" is going to give way to common sense eventually. People aren't going to keep paying premiums to advertize their environmentalism in their driveway. (I see priuses with the green door decals every damn day, and I think it is hilarious that people pay so much extra for an electrified corolla, and the bragging rights to their greenie freinds.)

Cars, and performance cars particularly, are returning to the marketplace. R/T magazine just tested 7 AWD sport sedans. A couple years ago there was 1. ( I wouldn't even call previous Legacies true "sport" sedans without a WRX heart transplant) Coupes are coming out of the woodwork again.

Hybrids are coming out all over as the flavor of the month, but cost 10k more than their traditional counterparts, and the mileage savings are not all they have been hyped to be, let alone the cost of long term maintenance or repair, (especially thousands of dollars worth of inefficient and depleating batteries) and the unknown depreciation on an overly expensive car.

Selling a prius in 4 years is going to be like selling an american luxury car. No one will touch it for fear that it will break down, and cost more to repair than the car is worth.

Corvettes, Mustangs, GTOs, Chargers, 350Zs, and all sorts of other cars are coming on the market with more horsepower and performance than ever, and THAT is what is selling, and is the least susceptible group to market "fads." although not completely impervious.

So, Subaru can put a turbocharged flat 6 in a tribeca, and a couple people might notice, but most will not, and more people than that will be turned off by either it's appearance or it's inefficiency, size or weight... and it won't make a tremendous amount of difference. It isn't going to be the next Cayenne Turbo S, or Range Rover Sport Supercharged.

OR, subaru can get a clue, and offer a BETTER performance sedan than it already does (and it definitely DOES already... if they'd even admit that publicly...) and put some development dollars into the Legacy line.

Legacy should ALREADY have a 3.0R model, as is offered in other markets, to compete with the TL and V6 Accord, G35, and ect, that are more luxury oriented. They could probably price it low enough to replace the upper-trim 2.5i models with a non-turbo 3.0R, and go up from there, and sell a bunch more units. (do many people really buy the ultra-economy-trim 2.5i, anyway? I mean throw those folks that bone, but get with the program in the higher trim levels, and start to compete with the V6 accords, camrys, 6's, Fusion, 500, Impala, GP, et. al. that offer 6-cylinders in a regular car format)

The GT Limited should just be a "Spec B" out of the gate, and a 'VALUE' Performance sedan at that (AND WAGON, for pete's sake! WHY NOT? if the damn Magnum SRT8 can exist...) Just make it standard at this point, come on. Who is SOA trying to fool? Alum/Bilstein suspension standard, no cost choice of 5EAT/6MT with VTD standard, and the optional options the market expects, tuned to 280hp/tq.

They could throw a TPH-driven hybrid Legacy in there, too. focused between the 3.0R and 2.5GT. I think it is catering to a cultural popularity contest, but if it sells, it sells...

The Turbo 3.0 Legacy should be an STI model. no question. (I'd love it to be twin-parallel-turbo, as the symmetry and quick-spooling nature of it would just be great.) should be the range topper. Beat the pants, socks, and jockies off the other 6 or more AWD sport sedans. (it would probably clobber the 535xi, E-class 4Matic, and STS performance wise, too.)

And it would be a [dr. evil pinky to mouth]"Beeeel-yon"[/dr.evil] times more noticeable and attention-grabbing (more like ripping, actually) than a turbocharged benign chewbacca.

Which do you think would forward Subaru's action line and brand equity more? 3.0T B9 Trib, or 3.0T Legacy STI? Which would bring more people in to the showrooms (where SOA can sell them something else, if the customer wants.)

Nothing sells cars like some real VALUE in performance excitement, and word of mouth among car enthusiasts. The car industry isn't completely like the appliance industry, even if Honda and Toyota can move half a million boring cars a year. There is more to it than that. You can sell appliances to appliance-buyers all day long with whatever bland take on an appliance-beige car you want, as long as it has the tiniest hook on the other beige cars in the market.

On the other hand, it takes thought and planning to sell a car to someone who knows something about cars. If you can sell to that person, that person will sell to others, and the inherent requisite quality of the product will help sell itself. (it may need a bit of a push-start from marketing, like the current Legacy needs...)

and offer a damned useable GT coupe on the Legacy platform, too, while you're at it.

Agree. All I can add is the Sti 3.0T should also be more distinguishable than the current one, just like the M3 stands out from the rest of the (old) 3 series BMWs. On this point I can't wait to see what the new M3 will finally look like.

I would buy a 400hp legacy. The car magazines would have a field day. Comparos against M5s and RS6s. It would be great. As long as it is 45k or less it would sell. Not in huge numbers but it would allow subaru to work into the luxury sport market. Kinda of a Halo car.

Hell, if it was also loaded with real goodies and had more distinguished looks, I'd pay almost M3 prcing simply because it would have AWD and the M3 doesn't.

Dont worry.... the new ///M will blow the competition away in its class in both handling and power. Not sure if they would release a STi at the same price level as the ///M but the STi would be a serious weapon if it could compete on the same playing field.

Ada///M.

Archived