LegacyGT.com

2019 Subaru Ascent Mid-sized SUV - True 3-row vehicle

SBT

Nice review. Seems consistent with what I thought.

Honestly I would get a premium if it had LED lights. The difference between the premium package with push start is around 8,000 between it at the Touring. So I’m still set on Touring for now.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice review. Seems consistent with what I thought.

Honestly I would get a premium if it had LED lights. The difference between the premium package with push start is around 8,000 between it at the Touring. So I’m still set on Touring for now.

I was set on Premium up until I set in the white cloth one, which just felt and looked cheap including the dash too. Then I started running through the numbers, Premium with convenience package is only $3.3k less then base limited that has all those features (plus much nicer interior, power passenger seat, and memory seats, which makes it worth the $3k alone). Better headlights, etc is just freebies at that point.

Push button start question, can you crank the car for extended amounts of time with it? In the past I've had to sit there and crank my cars due to random reasons (from flooded cylinders to carb cleaner, or other things preventing instant start). Would suck if you can't just sit there and push the button until it actually starts.

Edited by covertrussian

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

I've never had a starting problem on our Odyssey with pushbutton, but basically its like a localized remote start you just push the button and the system handles the rest. I think it would crank until it starts or times out. Interesting question, though I am not sure you would have those issues on a DI engine.

300HP equates to less MPGs, so all the mfgrs are opting for smaller I4Ts and some V6Ts (Ford) regardless of the "heft" of these Mid-sized SUVs.

Personally, I'd love to see an unstressed, low-pressure H6T putting down an easy 350HP/375TQ in the Ascent, but we all know that's not in the cards.

I know an Ascent will be in the stable at some point, but I just hope I can also get a 3rd Gen (2008-2009) 3.0R or 5th Gen (2013-2014 only) 3.6R OB before they're all so worn-out there's nothing left. Have wanted an H6 and these two models have the updated 5EAT in them, which I also want.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

300HP, with even more torque, all day long without ever breathing hard. And it's one of their best engine designs and executions.

300HP equates to less MPGs, so all the mfgrs are opting for smaller I4Ts and some V6Ts (Ford) regardless of the "heft" of these Mid-sized SUVs.

300HP really doesn't equate to less MPG though, if you don't increase the static displacement that is, boost is wonderful like that. That's because in daily driving you will never hit the parts of the map that consume a lot of fuel. While with V6+ you are always consuming more fuel even when your not flooring it.

For example, my 2.5l GT is putting down almost 280whp at 80F and closer to 300whp at 40F. That calculates to about 350-375BHP. My car will do 30mpg on 80F day with AC and 28mpg on a 40F day without AC (colder ambient air = more fuel consumption). Oh this is with 13-14psi, which is around stock boost levels.

Thus I think Ascent's 2.4L with a bigger more efficient turbo will easily hit 300BHP and will get better gas mileage to boot. I also think good knock free 93 gas on Ascent will get it closer to the 300bhp mark too.

Personally, I'd love to see an unstressed, low-pressure H6T putting down an easy 350HP/375TQ in the Ascent, but we all know that's not in the cards.

I know an Ascent will be in the stable at some point, but I just hope I can also get a 3rd Gen (2008-2009) 3.0R or 5th Gen (2013-2014 only) 3.6R OB before they're all so worn-out there's nothing left. Have wanted an H6 and these two models have the updated 5EAT in them, which I also want.

I'm actually happy it's a 4 cylinder, I just don't get the allure of 6 cylinders, more moving parts, more friction, more cylinders to feed during regular cruising. Turbo 4's can easily stretch into V6 and even V8 territories without much fuss, but with a lot less complexity (of H6T).

SBT - you should pick mine up before someone local snatches it up...

~300bhp/340ft-lbf

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/queens-ny-2010-subaru-legacy-3-6r-premium-270560.html

For a second I thought you said 300whp and was gonna say how on earth, but as I was writing the response saw the bhp. Still ~225whp and ~255wtq is pretty darn good!

22 Ascent STOCK

Agree with you on static displacement. The advantage to the H6 vs the H4 and H4T is that you're producing more power distributed over more cylinders thus reducing overall engine stress.

400HP/H4 = 100HP p/cylinder while 400HP/H6 = 67 HP p/cylinder.

When you start turning up the wick, you see that you have much more capacity with an H6 than you do with an H4, all else equal and it's even more smooth power delivery than the H4.

Touring's interior was much more upscale, it just looked and felt much nicer overall. Instead of the cheap white plastic surround, it is white/tan leather, and does feel much nicer too. Touring also had an odd driver side seat extension, not sure if it's on Limited's too.

attachment.php?attachmentid=269501&stc=1&d=1538747232

...that's the thigh support bolster, it's sort of cool for longer drives for taller drivers. I'm 5'5", so by no stretch super tall but I enjoy using it...and yes, it's standard on the Limited as well

tZJ7s1t30Pg4QZ60U5OtEaWS1Gli-DhOWZQL6kaMIqtiSDIwqOhtLkijhEkz0SHWmiB2wYL3yK_AyiMbS5OL7v-XwtZqzM90845RBhQFqyrr6ZWVEW6HyHRO8DMO8SMkn5IR2T98iI-ckhOyCLvqIsFtegEpJ871GAwumOhO7xTLzx6GGUkLkaQygiKhC4jlKi0wS08TGg_wAZQUJJ1hlgP0SBsrySPXKUnN6T8sPcJ4a1bi8pqaBkZ4sxGJz-k_AnVlNBXymwuuJsJ4QtEs3PPVB1nJAuJkuNd9mWT7p6x3UgMVZh1LcESNBfoCZf-4Nsf9cCAXCsPOKDTMgqaV4ZIAMhQ_ov7cm2lejDfFy7ztkIuWf7MP727FbFjQNcbVGHBPOV7KJFydfCotOM58glBugbS6dAhPjPYZEGwRqpctxAkVlto0JQhdrQU1z46izFGAxednBYLV6FTWnrBKaTi7P-rYPLtq5xP4ZHiykF2PlTpVvlim80xYlDfrup5KA60wsF_6gzZQogYISgsLhX48g1lzDnJTSz9-kJtOmmWrkO_o3Ka23v88MjTDYUXNOXLKzga6FK-eV3Hnju8LCgAodi634xwFx_lkEz-hS8y0ua-xTe-YM5O5-FwS7gdU=w1065-h599-no

Agree with you on static displacement. The advantage to the H6 vs the H4 and H4T is that you're producing more power distributed over more cylinders thus reducing overall engine stress.

When you start turning up the wick, you see that you have much more capacity with an H6 than you do with an H4, all else equal and it's even more smooth power delivery than the H4.

I think the delivery in the Ascent is the smoothest Subaru I have been in, could have been all that sound dampening though. I just don't think the current H6s were ever going to get "good" gas mileage as developed. The 3.0 even barely eeked out mid 20s in the Tribeca and realistically they were low 20s. The 3.6 economy was by all accounts dismal at best. An H6 would need hybrid assist and cylinder deactivation IMO to be feasible in this segment, especially considering the competition is bringing diesels and potent turbo engines.

Now if someone could re-sleeve a 3.0 block for smaller pistons, say something along the lines of 2.5L and then put a good sized twin scroll on it...then give it a transmission like the ZF 8psd auto. Might as well wish for the next winning powerball numbers, lol.

Right I can agree to that, though I don't think we have to worry about a stock 400hp Subaru in a LONG time. At a more realistic 300BHP, hp per cylinder drops to almost H6 levels:

2.4L H4 cyl at 300bhp:

75hp per Cylinder

125hp per Liter

3.6L H6 Cyl at 300bhp:

50hp per Cylinder

83hp per Liter

You don’t want cylinder deactivation. There’s quite a bit of oil seepage causing problems on Honda V6s etc.

Is the oil seeping through due to lack of combustion pressure keeping the piston rings sealed?

22 Ascent STOCK

You don’t want cylinder deactivation. There’s quite a bit of oil seepage causing problems on Honda V6s etc.

I'd have to see some hard data on that, our Odyssey has ~75k miles on it and no issues from oil seepage that I have noticed, and that is using 20w oil that is recommended. Even fully loaded with 4 adults and 2 kids and all our requisite stuff for a 2 week vacation, and a cargo carrier on the back we averaged 29 mpg going to Tennessee this past summer traveling 70-75mph. Any H6 would need cylinder deactivation or really tall gearing to achieve that with AWD.

Lets not forget the 3.6 has problems of its own burning/leaking oil without the added benefit of saving fuel.

Even fully loaded with 4 adults and 2 kids and all our requisite stuff for a 2 week vacation, and a cargo carrier on the back we averaged 29 mpg going to Tennessee this past summer traveling 70-75mph.

That is impressive. Nothing on the roof?

Just did a 5500 mile trip from MD to Utah with 2 adults, 2 kids, 3 mountain bikes+skybox+awning on the roof and a stowaway carbo box in the back. You do NOT want to know my gas mileage. Covert knows though :lol:

Subjective, but book values dont lie! 4th gens aren't getting any younger either. :p

I know. But it may be a temporary dip in the timeseries. Could happen that in a couple of years, the value would bounce back!

On a different note, I noticed that the Ascent's crossbars are not foldable like the Outback's, seriously what gives Subaru???

I'm personally glad the cross bars are not included at all. It means there's more adjustability, fore and aft for different cargo loads. Plus, I use AM load bars, cargo baskets and boxes, and the foldable bars get in the way IME.

Cross country in Subenwagen, during our coast-to-coast move, we had a 1,200 lb LGA Sport trailer on behind and a 16 CF Yakbox up top, and with the pup, electric cooler, and other essential "move" stuff, we were pretty loaded. Still managed a pretty decent 22MPG overall. That's Stage II-ish with 270AWHP/305AWTQ.

Everything we brought with us in the car, the trailer and in the Yakbox would fit inside the Ascent, with room to spare, and we would likely have gotten equal or better mileage with more comfort :eek: