LegacyGT.com

2019 Subaru Ascent Mid-sized SUV - True 3-row vehicle

SBT

This is straight up interior. While I don't love leather seats for say, the overall interior feel and sound deadening seems to be much less "cheap". I saw the same exact thing when going from my 05 LGT Limited, to my '12 Outback Premium.

For example, on my '12 Premium doors sound hollow when you close them, the rear hatch vibrates and transmits a lot of road noise and thumps into the cabin, while the 05 LGT Limited is no where near as bad.

For perspective, this Ascent Limited was even better then my Limited LGT: Doors had a nice thump when closing, on my road there were no rear hatch amplified noises coming in from the outside either. To be honest, I forgot and didn't even notice that it had 20" wheels, because it was better then both of my 17" wheel current Subaru's.

Now, Since I didn't test drive the Ascent Premium on my road, I can't say if the premium is as bad as my Outback. I can only judge by the cheaper interior feel of the Premium when I sat and quickly test drove a few months ago.

Call me an ass, but seriously you're comparing the words limited and premium, not the vehicles. This post has to be one of the silliest things I've read.

2005 Limited Sedan to a 2012 OB premium to an 2019 Assent Limited. :spin:

In the words of one of favorite TV adds - "That's not how it works, that's not how any of this works."

You have to drive the same vehicle in different trims to make any comparison of trims.

You might as well throw a Ford Limited into the comparison. Heck there has to be other manufacturers with Premium and Limited as trims, bring those in as well.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Call me an ass, but seriously you're comparing the words limited and premium, not the vehicles. This post has to be one of the silliest things I've read.

In the words of one of favorite TV adds - "That's not how it works, that's not how any of this works."

You have to drive the same vehicle in different trims to make any comparison of trims.

You might as well throw a Ford Limited into the comparison. Heck there has to be other manufacturers with Premium and Limited as trims, bring those in as well.

Uhh ... projecting much? I won't call you an ass, just a moron ;). I just read that as being clear about, exactly, which vehicles he was comparing. And really, because they're all built by the same freaking brand, it's indicative of the direction the vehicles are going.

'05 LGT doors were pretty much all the same across trim levels except for the cloth or leather inserts in the door cards.

Probably not a lot of difference between door construction in '12 across trim levels either.

Now comparing '19 against '12 and '05 (because, again, there's probably little difference except surfaces).

So yeah, the sound of a solid, clean "thunk" as compared to a tinny rattle when closing the door tells me something across the comparisons.

This is straight up interior. While I don't love leather seats for say, the overall interior feel and sound deadening seems to be much less "cheap". I saw the same exact thing when going from my 05 LGT Limited, to my '12 Outback Premium.

For example, on my '12 Premium doors sound hollow when you close them, the rear hatch vibrates and transmits a lot of road noise and thumps into the cabin, while the 05 LGT Limited is no where near as bad.

For perspective, this Ascent Limited was even better then my Limited LGT: Doors had a nice thump when closing, on my road there were no rear hatch amplified noises coming in from the outside either. To be honest, I forgot and didn't even notice that it had 20" wheels, because it was better then both of my 17" wheel current Subaru's.

My 2012 Legacy GT Limited also is quieter than my 2012 2.5i Premium was. The engine was quieter. I initially thought it was muted sound of the turbo and some of my imagination (I owned them at the same time for 3 months) I am 100% sure the electronic e-brake was less noticeable in my GT than 2.5i.

You win, so a CVT can shift a million times into a million gears that you'll never feel. :spin:
Some seem to be missing the point. While I respect those opinions, I simply disagree.

During normal operation, yes, the change is gradual. There are no shift points, simulated or otherwise. That's how it's supposed to be.

Under hard accel, yes, there are shift points, on this we agree. The reasons why Subaru added them is irrelevant. The shift point are real because the CVT "shifts" from one ratio to another. These ratios are list in the specs for the CVT. This is where we disagree and I'm willing to bet Subaru would also agree that these are legitimate shifts, not simulated. You simply cannot change from one ratio to another and fake it. Because there is no physical "gear" of a different size to the other "gears" is irrelevant, the size of the pulleys in the CVT change, creating a different final drive ratio.

Again, we dont have to agree, I'm just stating the fact of the operation. Shifting doesn't require gears, only a final drive ratio change from one to another and that change is the shift. That it occurs, isn't fake.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'm afraid you missed the point I was trying to make. The point is, Subaru puts extra comfort magic into Limited trims compared to lower trims. It's a trend that I'm seeing going back to even 2005.

Another example! My friend has a 2009 3.0r with cloth seats. I was so underwhelmed by it that I swore off Legacies, when it was time to upgrade from my Infiniti. I then test drove my 2005 LGT Limited and instantly fell in love. The 2005 limited, even though 4 years older, was miles ahead of the 3.0r with cloth seats.

I DID test drive the Ascent Premium couple months ago, while it was nicer (mainly because it was newer then my 2012), it still felt like Subaru took the same kind of shortcuts that they did for my 2012 Premium. I simply didn't test drive the Ascent Premium on my specific road, which is not the smoothest road in my city.

My 2012 Legacy GT Limited also is quieter than my 2012 2.5i Premium was. The engine was quieter. I initially thought it was muted sound of the turbo and some of my imagination (I owned them at the same time for 3 months) I am 100% sure the electronic e-brake was less noticeable in my GT than 2.5i.

That's great to hear, which further proves my hypothesis on Subaru really stepping up their game for Limiteds and higher.

Also the e-brake is pretty loud on my 2012, it's pretty annoying, another reason I never use hill assist :lol:

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

I haven't driven a base or premium 5th gen legacy, but my 2010 LGT limited has a very noticeable ebrake. And the doors both now ring hollow. It could be the door cards for the limited have a little more material on the back of them and the "leather seating" has a bit more padding. But I have driven both the touring and premium Ascent, I couldn't tell much difference in how they rode drove or felt, they are both tons quieter than either my Legacy or the wife's Odyssey.

Just picked up a 2014 Outback 3.6R Limited with SAP, and while it's not vault-like quiet, it is the quietest Subaru I've ever owned. It surpasses even my 2005 LGTW Limited in stock form for quietness, fit/finish, and cabin noise attenuation.

Everything about the car, including very solid-sounding doors, muted, non-intrusive road noise, and general overall quietness in the cabin - remarkable for a wagon - is pleasurable. Even my wife thinks it's exceptionally quiet.

Agree with the "Premium" assessment. The Ascent Premium that we drove, was reasonable, but it was not what I'd call quiet. That said, the Ascent, in Limited, and even more so in Touring garb, that we've driven is a major step-up in terms of noise attenuation, ride and comfort over the 2014 OB 3.6R Limited, and even over the 2019 Ascent Premium.

Much of that is due to the engineering that went into the SGP, and the benefits that provides for the vehicles riding on that platform. I can only imagine how quiet the 2020 Legacy will be.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I haven't driven a base or premium 5th gen legacy, but my 2010 LGT limited has a very noticeable ebrake. And the doors both now ring hollow. It could be the door cards for the limited have a little more material on the back of them and the "leather seating" has a bit more padding. But I have driven both the touring and premium Ascent, I couldn't tell much difference in how they rode drove or felt, they are both tons quieter than either my Legacy or the wife's Odyssey.

My left rear door has that hollow sound when you shut it. I think the the glue/adhesion between the door skin and reinforcement bar has separated.

I've had both 5th Gen and now a 6th Gen legacy and they get quieter every generation.

This is what actually annoyed me about going from 4th gen (2005) to 5th gen (2012). It was a step back for me sadly. A friend bought a 2006 Outback 2.5i, standard (non leather) and it even has a quieter engine (pretty much the same EJ251-3).

22 Ascent STOCK

True, though my 2005 frameless are still pretty quiet (fingers crossed)! Road noise wise 4th gen LGT limited, even with full poly bushings, still is better then the 5th gen premium, which is sad.

22 Ascent STOCK

I installed the JDM side window deflectors on my 05 LGTW. That made what was minimal wind noise even less so.

Looking for a set for the 14 OB, and would likely install these on the Ascent as well. They work well, are very quiet, actually functional where rain is concerned, and not just a nice-looking accessory.

I installed the JDM side window deflectors on my 05 LGTW. That made what was minimal wind noise even less so.

Looking for a set for the 14 OB, and would likely install these on the Ascent as well. They work well, are very quiet, actually functional where rain is concerned, and not just a nice-looking accessory.

Mind sharing your source? I'd love to put some on my Spec B.

Mind sharing your source? I'd love to put some on my Spec B.

Subimods had the most recent GB on these. Lots of pictures and how-to here on the site.

P/N for your BL is E3617AG000

This is what the JDM versions look like on my BP

This is what the OEM versions look like on a 2014 Outback.

This is what the OEM versions look like on a 2019 Ascent - look at how tight the front/rear boundary is. Even more evidence of wind noise attenuation focus.

You can clearly see the evolution, from frameless to frame-bound windows.

• 3 weeks later...

Copying this here from the 2020 legacy thread:

That's not accurate, but it is a pain in the butt. At least, for my 2016 Pilot EX-L. For the record, I dislike the Honda Pilot very much, but it's not my car, and the Mrs. says it is a good fit for what she wants it to do, so not losing any sleep over it. Though I would like to get her into an Ascent, since it's a safer car....

I've been considering the 2016 Pilot, since they are in low $20k's, but your feedback makes me wanna wait for Ascent to get into that price range :lol:.

Every Honda I've worked on made me question why people love them so much. Subaru, while has a painful to work on boxer motor, designs other components to be easy to work on (like wheel bearings are a breeze on 2005+ cars).

Well, there's a few things at play here.

First off, there's no CarPlay. I would strongly advise against buying a car that has no CarPlay or Android Auto available because, simply put, even if you don't use it, someone buying a car when you're done with it in a few years is going to expect it.

I dabbled with the idea of privately selling my 2011 Outback when I was shopping a few months ago, and I had a few people contact me but were pretty miffed about no streaming bluetooth audio or USB and no touchscreen. The touchscreen I could roll my eyes about because it is, after all, nearly an 8 year old car... but the streaming bluetooth or USB connection to connect with is pretty ubiquitous now.

Secondly, the EarthDreams 3.5L V6 has a timing belt. That's a substantial cost down the road, assuming the prophetic "direct injection" carbon buildup doesn't take it out first, before the interval.

I'm sure it's an average car for what its intended purpose is - hauling people or cargo or both simultaneously, for those that won't be found in a minivan despite it being much more utilitarian. Again, I've had less than stellar experiences with the Pilot in the snow, but I will say this: I'm spoiled. I'm on my third Subie now, and they really are legendary in the snow.

I believe the newer Pilots also have LED lights, and I've already had to replace the OEM halogen bulbs in the Pilot as mentioned earlier... Personally, I like the brighter white and like the throw pattern compared to my 2011 Outback's halogen pattern.

I'd also strongly suggest that if you go this route to get the Honda Sensing package. Again, it's only around $1000 extra, but it's one of those things I think people are going to EXPECT from your car.

Kind of like my streaming bluetooth conundrum: spend a little extra *now* and get some use out of it yourself, or deduct the same amount at time of trade-in.

We're also talking apples and oranges. A Legacy is a totally different class of vehicle. I love the idea of a Legacy - maybe even a Plug-in Hybrid or EV Legacy if they can nail down the technology - but the rear seats are too small for me, I hit my head of the roof.

While the Ascent did have some issues, they seem to be few and far removed from the general statistic - probably a bad batch of transmissions or something.

If I was in the market today, my very first choice would probably be an Ascent Premium with one of those option packages for the push-button start. Those are going to be a great purchase once they start coming in CPO in the next year or two...

This is REALLY good feedback, thank you very much for this! I personally am tired of belted cars, timing chain or bust.

I also appreciate the feedback on features, I'm really considering listing my Outback before it depreciates more, luckily it does have BT!

I'm really warming up to Subaru's implementation of CVT, which is my biggest reservation against the Ascent.

I recently discovered that there are two types of CVT's, push type (Using metal belts) and pull type (using chain belts). I think Pull type, what Subaru uses, should be more reliable, since it's not constantly compressing the CVT belt keys and belts (which allows for the key bands to miss-align, instead it's always providing tension and pulling.

22 Ascent STOCK

MRT

of Subaru CVT Secrets

Interesting that the mech mentions two sizes, large and small. Presume that's the difference between CVT and HDCVT?

Tech also mentions 400Nm torque as the design limit for this particular CVT which equals ~ 295 ft/lb torque rating.

Steel "Push Belt" Type vs Steel "Pull Chain" Type CVT listing

Everything I've read of one vs the other is that the Pull Chain type is quieter and more durable, and doesn't rubberband/slingshot like the Push Belt type.

Anyone who's driven a NISSAN CVT knows this latter "rubberband" behavior.

Personally why I like and appreciate Subaru's Lineartronic on-demand response - much more linear IME. Also why I never liked Subaru's (Dihatsu?) Push Belt type CVT in their Justy.

As a people and cargo mover, the Ascent w/CVT is looking more palatable all the time.

We've been looking for a new car for my wife over the last year as her 2006 GMC Acadia, while in good shape aesthetically and only 71K mi, its almost 10 years old and starting to nickel and dime us over the last 18 months. We've looked at just about everyones mid size third row seat SUV and landed on either the Ascent or the Volkswagen Atlas. The power steering in her Acadia has been getting noisier over the last 6 months and the dealer just gave us an estimate for $4500 to replace the rack, PS pump, etc. as its all gone to shit.

Gotta say, after comparing the Ascent and Atlas, we just pulled into our garage in a new 2018 Volkswagen Atlas SEL. I love my Subies to be sure but the CVT, among other things, was a deal breaker for me. The Ascent body styling isn't bad but I wouldn't say it really resonates with me when compared to the Atlas. The Atlas was a bit roomier, (which we need), has the second row captains seats we wanted, and had a fairly steep discount as its one of the last 2018's around, along with a shockingly good trade in on our 10 year old Acadia needing thousands in repair work. Also hard to beat a 6yr / 72,000 bumper to bumper warranty, (which they make sure to point out is a "limited" warranty, causing me to raise an eyebrow for a second). I've always liked Volkswagen interiors as well for the most part. Do wish I could have gotten it with the 20" R-Line wheels tho :)

Edited by shralp

I know this is an Ascent thread, but I test drove a Highlander XLE this weekend. Figured you guys would be interested in how it compares. Sticker was $43k, but it does have almost $5k in rebates, still a little pricier then the Ascent Limited. I expected much better pricing since 2020 Highlander will be a major redesign (Subaru is having some pretty major discounts on the Outback right now, due to 2020 redesign on the horizon).

Overall I was very disappointed with the Highlander, I can't believe these are flying off the shelve like hotcakes (though to be fair I only see old people driving these body styles).

• Interior & Assists (biggest need for us):
  • 3rd Row is leg crushing for adults, while I was comfortable in the Ascent
  • The trunk is tiny when 3rd row is up (only can fit an item that's 13" deep, not sure on Ascent's measurements)
  • No Memory Seats, (standard on Ascent Limited)
  • Leather is not perforated, which means lots of sweaty backs for me. I only started liking leather seats after my Legacy GT, which makes me not sweat when it gets above 60F :lol:
  • Infotainment is dated, no android/apple support, only BT
  • Driver Assists are far inferior to EyeSight. It wasn't good at keeping me on dotted lanes, was off below 37ish MPH too (when I would want it most in DC traffic).

Mechanical:
  • The rear Spark Plugs are still hard to get to, you have to remove half the firewall plastics to get to them. Ascent is still a pain, but I think it's still easier to get to them.
  • Needs almost 6QT of oil, while H6 Subaru's are similar, Ascent needs 4.8 (so one 5qt Jug is sufficient per oil change).
  • Plastic oil filter housing, with open filter media inside. Like any plastic item, this will crack over time (friend had a similar problem in his old Mini).
  • Front Lower Control Arms use bushings similar to the 2005-2014 Legacy, which as we all know, are prone to failure. Ascent seems to be using the design that Subaru used before 2005, which is superior on bushing wear.
  • Rear suspension is not a "coilover", spring is separate from shock in it's own big cup. I personally hate this design, seems to increase unsprung weight due to giant spring cup, takes up way more room, and seems more painful to replace.
  • Drives like a boat, I feel like the Ascent was much more well composed
  • Auto Stop/Start - Couldn't turn on due less then perfect battery charge, I was told that it would probably never auto stop for my 4-5 mile typical drives. Which means I'm paying extra for beefier starter/battery, without the fuel economy gains from the system working.

It did does have a couple good things going for it too, and I do mean a couple:

• Traditional Auto with 8 Speeds (biggest win over Ascent)
  • Direct Injection with Port injection, so no dirty valves
  • It has a locking rear diff button, so you don't have to wait for the front wheels to slip first, which is a really nice feature if you wont have full time AWD.
  • Pretty good overall visibility and nice big mirrors too, didn't feel like I had a ton of blind spots.

In the end, 2019 Highlander is a big no for me, mostly due to tiny 3rd row and cargo area. The only other car left is the Honda Pilot, but that one is also off my list due to Timing Belt, Auto Stop/Start that people are having to disable due to bugs preventing auto restarts, and VCM (cylinder deactivation) which seems to cause a lot of issues too based on forum posts.

We just like the Ascent size and features the most and it comes in cheaper then the other two. What I really want is the non Touring models to have the option for Smart Rear View Mirror and front facing camera, maybe by 2020?

Edited by covertrussian

22 Ascent STOCK

@covertrussian

[*]3rd Row is leg crushing for adults, while I was comfortable in the Ascent

I noticed this too, but it was more about the headroom. I'm 6'0" tall, and I was able to fit in the Ascent only when I reclined the seats back. This means less cargo room if you're using the third row with adults.

[*]Infotainment is dated, no android/apple support, only BT

Yup, I don't understand why Toyota or any manufacturer is holding out on this.

[*]Auto Stop/Start - Couldn't turn on due less then perfect battery charge, I was told that it would probably never auto stop for my 4-5 mile typical drives. Which means I'm paying extra for beefier starter/battery, without the fuel economy gains from the system working.

I think a lot depends on the temperature too. I've noticed on my Forester that on warmer days where the engine warms up quicker and it doesn't have to work as hard to bring the cabin up to temperature the Auto Stop Start will activate within a mile of driving without a remote start.

[*]Traditional Auto with 8 Speeds (biggest win over Ascent)

I like the CVT, the only concern I would have with the CVT is the fluid since there's no change interval unless towing. I would sleep better at night if they just required a 60k fluid change interval.

[*]Direct Injection with Port injection, so no dirty valves

Yup, this is the biggest positive from this powertrain. However, it comes with the caviat that if you ever need work done on the engine, from what I've heard it's "triple" the labor because of the setup.

[*]It has a locking rear diff button, so you don't have to wait for the front wheels to slip first, which is a really nice feature if you wont have full time AWD.

Not familiar with this. You're saying you can basically keep the car in FWD mode for better economy with a button?

The only other car left is the Honda Pilot, but that one is also off my list due to Timing Belt, Auto Stop/Start that people are having to disable due to bugs preventing auto restarts, and VCM (cylinder deactivation) which seems to cause a lot of issues too based on forum posts.

There are certainly glitches here. The infotainment often (I would say 50% of the time, has been duplicated by service department, unable to correct, tried to "Reset" system a few times.) drops the preferences for the radio stations. So, they are blank, but they'll still tune the radio if you tap on them. Also, my model has no CarPlay.

I don't have the Honda Sensing package, but in hindsight probably would have been smart to get it.

Yup, wish I'd thought about the timing belt also. Oh well.

This year (2016 EX-L) does not have the auto start stop. It gets lousy mileage, even on the highway. I've heard the VCM is better in the 2016+ model years, but again, it's new so I don't know if anyone has 100k on these things yet for more practical long-term results. Especially with the direct injection.

There's a part of me that hopes the Mrs. just wants to get rid of the thing, and a part of me that doesn't care if it breaks (as long as she's not in it.)... I really don't like this vehicle at all. I'm not saying I would absolutely go buy an Ascent and not look at anything else, but I'm just saying the Pilot would absolutely NOT be on my "top 3" models.

Honestly, looking at how infrequently we use the third row, she might be better off with one of the larger "normal" two-row SUV's, but that's for her to decide.

For me, my next time, I'm going to get a plug-in hybrid of some kind, the Forester sounds good (if it's available in 2022) or I'd "downgrade" to the Crosstrek. I'd prefer to have it be a Premium trim rather than the higher ones. Toyota, for example, offers their Rav4 hybrid in all their trim levels, and it's only about $2000 more than the conventional engine equivalent. That's substantial.

Edited by Pilot1226

I noticed this too, but it was more about the headroom. I'm 6'0" tall, and I was able to fit in the Ascent only when I reclined the seats back. This means less cargo room if you're using the third row with adults.

I'm 5' 10" and headroom wasn't an issue in either of the cars, but I will admit the seat was pretty reclined :lol:.

I think a lot depends on the temperature too. I've noticed on my Forester that on warmer days where the engine warms up quicker and it doesn't have to work as hard to bring the cabin up to temperature the Auto Stop Start will activate within a mile of driving without a remote start.

Ah interesting, yeah this feature is basically dead to me since it would NEVER engage in my daily driving. The only time I would take the car on longer then 5 mile trips, it would be highway only so MPG gains would be tiny if non at all.

I like the CVT, the only concern I would have with the CVT is the fluid since there's no change interval unless towing. I would sleep better at night if they just required a 60k fluid change interval.

I'm still very skeptical of it, for such a heavy and "powerful" vehicle. I came across a transmission failure thread, that your part of too actually, and it just doesn't breath confidence for me, maybe 2020 models?

Yup, this is the biggest positive from this powertrain. However, it comes with the caviat that if you ever need work done on the engine, from what I've heard it's "triple" the labor because of the setup.

V6's in a FWD transverse orientation have always been a pain to work on. This is why I ended buying a Legacy GT over a V6 Altima SE-R. Legacy is easier to work on, just not compared to other 4 cylinders.

Not familiar with this. You're saying you can basically keep the car in FWD mode for better economy with a button?

Other way around, the car is FWD until slip is detected: So you have to wait for front wheels to slip for rear to get engaged. When you press the button it forces the rear wheels to engage, dealer said it locks both wheels too (think of truck like locking diff). This feature is for, I know I'm gonna get stuck so give me all you got right away and don't wait for the front to slip first.

There are certainly glitches here. The infotainment often (I would say 50% of the time, has been duplicated by service department, unable to correct, tried to "Reset" system a few times.) drops the preferences for the radio stations. So, they are blank, but they'll still tune the radio if you tap on them. Also, my model has no CarPlay.

I don't have the Honda Sensing package, but in hindsight probably would have been smart to get it.

Yup, wish I'd thought about the timing belt also. Oh well.

This year (2016 EX-L) does not have the auto start stop. It gets lousy mileage, even on the highway. I've heard the VCM is better in the 2016+ model years, but again, it's new so I don't know if anyone has 100k on these things yet for more practical long-term results. Especially with the direct injection.

There's a part of me that hopes the Mrs. just wants to get rid of the thing, and a part of me that doesn't care if it breaks (as long as she's not in it.)... I really don't like this vehicle at all. I'm not saying I would absolutely go buy an Ascent and not look at anything else, but I'm just saying the Pilot would absolutely NOT be on my "top 3" models.

Honestly, looking at how infrequently we use the third row, she might be better off with one of the larger "normal" two-row SUV's, but that's for her to decide.

For me, my next time, I'm going to get a plug-in hybrid of some kind, the Forester sounds good (if it's available in 2022) or I'd "downgrade" to the Crosstrek. I'd prefer to have it be a Premium trim rather than the higher ones. Toyota, for example, offers their Rav4 hybrid in all their trim levels, and it's only about $2000 more than the conventional engine equivalent. That's substantial.

I seriously was considering the Pilot too, I found some 2016's for $23k with about 50k miles. But your experience, VCM, auto-stop/start issues, plus the timing belt pushed me away from it. Now don't get me wrong about timing belts, I don't absolutely hate them. I would still get the Ascent if it had a timing belt, I hate timing belts in transverse FWD configurations with a passion.

22 Ascent STOCK

do you have to have a third row seat? If not, have you looked into the Grand Jeep Cherokee Diesel? Been eyeing the one with the Benz engine :hide:. But I prefer the latest body style. And I did drive a 2014 V6 model 5 years ago and I was impressed by the handling.

do you have to have a third row seat? If not, have you looked into the Grand Jeep Cherokee Diesel? Been eyeing the one with the Benz engine :hide:. But I prefer the latest body style. And I did drive a 2014 V6 model 5 years ago and I was impressed by the handling.

3rd row is a must, mostly to be able to take one car on vacation with friends/family, but also in case we decide to have kiddo #3.

My complaint against our Outback was, carseats were in the way of me being comfortable in passenger seat during 18hr trip. With 3rd row, we could have thrown one of the kids back there and then I could fully lean back :).

Finally, I'm anti anything American or European, Fixed those before and refuse to own one. So Japanese or Korean only.

22 Ascent STOCK