LegacyGT.com

2019 Subaru Ascent Mid-sized SUV - True 3-row vehicle

SBT

That's weird, the hood didn't seem that heavy but I didn't really get a chance to swing it or shut it. Maybe by v2 they will figure out a better placement point of the strut to distribute the weight better :).

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have memory seats on our B9 Tribeca and honestly I recall using that feature may be twice in 11 years of ownership. I found that I still had to adjust the seat/back somewhat from previous setting, so the point of having it just went out of window.

That's because it was a crappy implementation of memory seats.

That's weird, the hood didn't seem that heavy but I didn't really get a chance to swing it or shut it. Maybe by v2 they will figure out a better placement point of the strut to distribute the weight better :).

Carbon fiber hood maybe?

453747.png

I’m actually leaning towards the captain chair version. The extra space between the two makes each seat itself slightly larger than the bench seat and also has easier ingress egress from the third row.

Also if you need to put an adult in the back you can stick one of your legs into the aisle which did make it more comfortable. Not 500 mile road trip comfortable but maybe 50 mile comfortable.

• 2 weeks later...

I had no doubts this would be the case, especially given the engineering that went into the new SGP.

2019 Subaru Ascent earns IIHS Top Safety Pick+

The Ascent is now the seventh Subaru to earn TSP+ in 2018.

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) today announced that the 2019 Subaru Ascent is the latest recipient of the group's Top Safety Pick+ accolade. The award is given to any car that's capable of passing the IIHS' battery of tests, which includes traditional crash tests as well as evaluations of ancillary systems that also contribute to passenger safety.

The Ascent absolutely dominated the IIHS' crash tests. It achieved the top rating of Good in every single crash test, as well as every single subcategory that looks at how individual parts of the crash-test dummies react in a collision. The Ascent even aced the IIHS' new passenger-side small overlap front crash test, which was recently instituted and has caused frustration for older vehicles.

Subaru's Ascent comes standard with EyeSight, the automaker's collective of active and passive safety systems, which received the IIHS' top rating of Superior. It avoided collisions at both 12 mph and 25 mph. The Ascent also received top marks in child-seat latch evaluations.

Not all Ascents are created equal, though. The IIHS tests every possible headlight on offer, and the halogen headlights on the base and Premium trims received a Poor rating, the IIHS' worst rating, due to inadequate visibility in curves and excessive low-beam glare. The LED headlights on the Limited and Touring trims received a Good rating, however, which is enough to keep it eligible for Top Safety Pick+.

The Ascent is the seventh Subaru to earn Top Safety Pick+ for 2018, following the Crosstrek, Impreza (hatchback and sedan), Legacy, Outback and WRX. The only other vehicle Subaru makes on its own, the Forester, received a Top Safety Pick award, falling ever so slightly short of TSP+ because of its performance in the passenger-side small overlap crash test. The Subaru BRZ, which is made in conjunction with Toyota (and also sold as the Toyota 86), is not on the list.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2019-subaru-ascent-iihs-top-safety-pick-plus/

To qualify for IIHS 2018 Top Safety Pick+, a vehicle must earn good ratings in the driver-side small overlap front, moderate overlap front, side, roof strength and head restraint tests, as well as an acceptable or good rating in the passenger-side small overlap front test. It also must earn an advanced or superior rating for front crash prevention and a good headlight rating.

Edited by SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

2019 TSP+ Mid-size SUV awardees

• 2019 Honda Pilot (with specific headlights)
  • 2018 Hyundai Santa Fe (with optional front crash prevention and specific headlights)
  • 2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport (with optional front crash prevention and specific headlights; applies only to vehicles built after June 2017)
  • 2019 Kia Sorento (with optional front crash prevention and specific headlights)
  • 2019 Subaru Ascent (with specific headlights)

That was good information about the headlights. Hadn't thought of that as a determining criteria from a driving perspective, especially since Subaru headlights are so much better today. Just figured that the Ascent standard headlights would be more than okay.

As I age, light clarity and output are getting to be much more important.

Highlander and CX-9 were just TSP, they didn't have enough of the safety juice to gain TSP+ status.

Right just saw that and IMO TSP+ is a must, unless you want your spouse to be legless in a crash.

2018 Top Safety Pick+, a vehicle must earn good ratings in the driver-side small overlap front,... as well as an acceptable or good rating in the passenger-side small overlap front test.

22 Ascent STOCK

That was good information about the headlights. Hadn't thought of that as a determining criteria from a driving perspective, especially since Subaru headlights are so much better today. Just figured that the Ascent standard headlights would be more than okay.

As I age, light clarity and output are getting to be much more important.

While I didn't like the overly complicated motorized headlight, this also confirms that I should look for Limited vs Premiums.

22 Ascent STOCK

G -

They are as wide as a present-day F150, and at least as tall as a 4x2 F150

Inside space is really well-designed. The real plus are the substantive, and very positive, driving dynamics IMHO.

I'm not sure anyone could delivery much more towing capacity with a unibody construction, but were Subaru able to up the wick on the powertrain, to pull say 6,500 lbs, that would be more icing on the cake.

Edited by SBT

WTU-80 - STOPSALE/Recall

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2018/RCRIT-18V508-3773.pdf

293 made, 9 sold. Remainder are in-transit/on dealer lots and will not be sold.

All sold and retail available vehicles will be inspected and replaced with a brand new vehicle if the Ascent fails the factory rep's inspection.

Edited by SBT

All TSP+ is not equal though. If you get into the details of the tests the Ascent was at the top of the class. Robert pointed that out over in the Ascent forums.

The Honda Pilot for example has issues with the passenger head impact when you are hit from the side.

So yes the Limited or higher will be what I’m shooting for. Leaning on Touring now for the cool tech cameras.

I want to see the 2.4T in the 2020 Leg & OB, they will haul!

The stop sale was a non issue and has been resolved. None of the delivered cars were affected.

I was off-put by the thin carpet "covers"...no longer "mats" per se. But I also figured that I've always purchased and installed Weathertech mats so NBD in the overall schema. Thought that cheaping out on the mats, which adds an extra layer of sound deadening was...well, cheap.

It's funny that you guys are mentioning how cheap the Ascent's interior is, when cars.com says that it's miles ahead of the VW Atlas: https://www.cars.com/articles/subaru-ascent-vs-volkswagen-atlas-the-family-suv-feud-begins-1420700698096/

Maybe they forgot how mid 2000's Subaru's were? IMO my 2005 Legacy has much nicer and quieter interior then the 2012 Outback.

22 Ascent STOCK

I believe the ones who reported it also own newer Subaru models. They felt the Ascent was 'cheaper', (let's say more 'fragile'?) inside. I'll try to find the post. Also, their assessment is after owning the car for a while, using it, and noticing little issues here and there that are already popping up. I don't think they were complaining about the look, overall feel and stuff though.

I would say my Ascent feels more luxurious than my 08 Tribeca that traded in for. And it is definitely better in quality than my 13 Legacy.

Is it fragile or is it a design trade off? An example is the sunroof shade. On the Ascent, the large sunroof requires a roll up fabric sunroof shade that feels flimsy compared to the smaller sturdy plastic piece in the Legacy and Tribeca. That is the trade off for having such a large sunroof.

However I did notice the carpet floor mats are thinner and less plush than the Tribeca's floor mats. But the mats are sitting in my garage now since the Ascent came with the all weather mats.

It's funny that you guys are mentioning how cheap the Ascent's interior is, when cars.com says that it's miles ahead of the VW Atlas: https://www.cars.com/articles/subaru-ascent-vs-volkswagen-atlas-the-family-suv-feud-begins-1420700698096/

Maybe they forgot how mid 2000's Subaru's were? IMO my 2005 Legacy has much nicer and quieter interior then the 2012 Outback.

Don't get me wrong, I just thought that thin floor "covers" versus real mats was an obvious cost-cutting measure on a premium (top of the brand) model. The rest of the interior was innovative and well-executed. There was not one item that I didn't like and do appreciate the design and engineering that went into it.

And my first exposure to the covers was at the dealership. The auto show model didn't have them installed nor available in the hatch area, so I was surprised to see what was being offered in lieu of mats.

One of the issues we're discussing on the Ascent forums is a mystery "tonk" sound that sounds quasi-electronic, but also has characteristics of a golf ball dropping into a cup.

If anyone has any thoughts, we'd appreciate it. Someone is suggesting that it could be a condensate line that is opening and closing, but I'm unfamiliar with this system so I don't know about its accuracy.

81 days until I place my order...

https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/137-subaru-ascent-complaints-issues-problems/2907-%5Bissue%5D-random-mystery-tock-sound.html

My local dealer has two Ascents on the lot! One is a Touring in charcoal gray :wub: and one is Premium in black. Black premium has actually been on the lot for about 2 weeks now, which is surprising. Anyway finally got a test drive one, here are my impressions!

attachment.php?attachmentid=269500&stc=1&d=1538746663

Interior:

Black Premium's interior was black cloth, which looks MUCH better then the white/tan cloth that I've seen before. The seats are still ab it funky looking, almost too sporty like for what kind of car it is. Premium had a tacky looking white carbonfiber plastic surround on the dash (the open storage space), just looks and feels really cheap imo.

Touring's interior was much more upscale, it just looked and felt much nicer overall. Instead of the cheap white plastic surround, it is white/tan leather, and does feel much nicer too. Touring also had an odd driver side seat extension, not sure if it's on Limited's too.

attachment.php?attachmentid=269501&stc=1&d=1538747232

Both had captains chairs and they were really comfortable, I was also very comfortable in the 3rd row with 2nd row moved up 2-3 inches (I'm 5'10"). You could easily fit two of me in the 3rd row.

Test Drive:

I test drove the Premium, didn't want to test drive the much more expensive car just in case, plus I wanted a feel for 18" wheels, since I would swap 18's into a Limited anyway.

Car had the typical automatic Subaru touchy throttle, it was pretty peppy but I wouldn't consider it fast. I expected a bit more torque throwback based on what most reviews/other people have said. It was smooth though and for once I didn't mind it being an automatic! Which leads to the CVT, which is actually pretty nice, if you didn't read the specs you wouldn't even know it was a CVT.

I didn't test the car's handling much, but it felt very comfortable over bumps, better then my Outback (which does have 115k mile struts). The car didn't feel the 4k lbs that it is while driving over bumps or accelerating, but mountain driving would show it's true handling capability.

Also I really appreciated the blind spot detection lights being on the inside of the mirror plastic, IMO way nicer then having it on the mirror it self. I also appreciated that HVAC fan speeds were much more consistent, in my outback it's Very Low, Low, Low, HURRICANE.

Overall I really want one, but just can't swing the $40k monthly payments, and yearly property taxes :lol:

20181004_172841.thumb.jpg.30eb53675f49a42b6001ad1bca1e9f9f.jpg

20181004_173313.thumb.jpg.8fb7a326b5440448bc046a30a49f93fe.jpg

22 Ascent STOCK