LegacyGT.com

Is this really typical mileage? (new owner)

I have 22k on my 2016 2.5 and get just under 31 mpg and it is 11 months old...All freeway driving with two mountain grades to cross...Use only Chevron regular gas...Replaced the air filter with a K and N drop in...No difference....Just used my last free oil change at Ladin Subaru in Thousand Oaks CA.....

Small world! I grew up in Thousand Oaks. Currently stationed in MD though, which is quite a bit different.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Small world! I grew up in Thousand Oaks. Currently stationed in MD though, which is quite a bit different.

Yes, small world indeed....I bought the Subie at Kirby Subaru in Ventura last year...Kirby bought the dealership from Barber Subaru when the widow of the owner didn't want to deal with all the dealerships her late husband owned...They had Barber Ford, VW, Subaru and RV...None of the kids wanted to go in the car business so she sold them all...Kirby got the Subie dealership...Sales was fine but their service is bad since they are still learning about these cars...Hence I landed up at Ladin Subaru.

Just did a ~200 mile highway trip. Out of curiosity, I set the cruise to 55mph (speed limit) and let it go. It was late at night with few cars in the road. I reset the trip meter doing 55mph and kept it there the whole time. Just me in the car. I imagine this is about the best mpg the car can do in realistically ideal conditions. About 65 degrees out. Mostly flat interstate with some minor hills.

Oh...I got passed 73 times doing this. I counted.c3048cf366134c1a217ab40ecc25c397.jpg

better you than me, no way I would drive the thruway around here at 55 mph (it's posted for 65, and that will get you just about as many passes as you experienced).

72mph in the passing lane and I crossed paths with a state trooper (I knew he was there, waze is good, but I was stuck in the lane due to traffic on the right going sub-65mph)

Let's just say no pursuit, I'm pretty sure they wait for 80mph+ before they pull you over there.

Just did a ~200 mile highway trip. Out of curiosity, I set the cruise to 55mph (speed limit) and let it go.

55mph the whole way? ouch you must be very patient. lol

better you than me, no way I would drive the thruway around here at 55 mph (it's posted for 65, and that will get you just about as many passes as you experienced).

72mph in the passing lane and I crossed paths with a state trooper (I knew he was there, waze is good, but I was stuck in the lane due to traffic on the right going sub-65mph)

Let's just say no pursuit, I'm pretty sure they wait for 80mph+ before they pull you over there.

I used to be on the thruway going back and forth to Buffalo like 10 times a year and locals told me to keep under 74mph and the troopers won't bother you. So I set the cruise control and forget about it. I haven't been pulled over in 6 years, and I drove past parked troopers at 74mph no problem. Switched jobs now so no more buffalo trips. Love the western/upstate ny area in the summer but hated the drive :)

On our 2017 Legacy Limited 2.5, my wife and I are averaging 28 - 31 mpg per tank with about 450 - 500 miles miles traveled on each tank. That is probably about 50/50 city and highway driving. We are pleased with the economy for the size and performance of the car.

I definitely find it helpful to utilize the CVT the most than I can when doing a lot of city driving if I am feeling guilty about the MPGs and am not in a rush. I have found that if you only accelerate in about 5% throttle adjustment increments that the CVT will accelerate the car from 0 - 60 mph and the RPM never go above ~2100 rpm. When you go heavier on the gas pedal it will try to still behave like a CVT (at higher RPM) until the point that it uses the simulated shifts more like a regular "geared" transmission....thus using more gas.

I'm getting about 26mpg calculated. With a calc on the range vs tank capacity at 29. Seems to be getting better with more time on the clock. I'm surprised as quite a few reviews etc expound on the 2.5 getting appreciably better gas mileage. It certainly is rated better but I'm sure how one drives along with where has a lot to do with it. But very pleased so far. Only car I have had with better was my Corolla and it was only about 33mpg..

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to follow up. I have been getting a combined 40mpg city and highway. I got 250 miles on 6.25 gallons. Our car's tank is approximately 18.5 so I actually filled half a tank and reset the trip A and got 240+ miles. Filled again and getting the same results. Summer blend does give a few more MPG's and I am very well pleased with the numbers. One of the main reasons why I purchased this vehicle.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

With 40mpg you must have a unicorn or that the pumps you fill up at gives you in UK gallons!

Nope, 40 mpg is totally believable, my instant gauge shows 99+ mpg's when I am coasting downhill!

(but for some reason, Fuelly shows only a combined lifetime average of 26.7 mpg's over 7k miles driven, it must take gas to get up to speed and to go uphill to prepare for those gas free downhills... :munch:)

@ehsnils ..... Your gas register is like the fisherman telling his friend the size of the one that got away.😆 But if it makes you Getty and give you warm feeling inside then it all good.😉

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul!😊

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

@ehsnils ..... Your gas register is like the fisherman telling his friend the size of the one that got away.😆 But if it makes you Getty and give you warm feeling inside then it all good.😉

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul!😊

I assume you refer to the consumption gauge in the cluster. That's usually very inaccurate and often different from what I get when checking the actual volume at the pump compared to driven distance.

Considering how the gauge in the car works it's not surprising - it only calculates how much fuel that is estimated to be injected through the opening time of the injector and don't take into account many other factors.

453747.png

calculating fuel on injector timing is accurate enough.... the reason I believe most cars over estimate has to do with speed error. Take your speed as indicated by the car and compare it to a GPS unit and you will find with most cars the speedo is off by 1-3mph at 60. I am willing to be if you could get the speedo accurate, your fuel consumption would be more accurate we well....in my 2014 Legacy the speedo is off by 2mph at 50-75 so when the car says 72 it is going 70. correct the miles driven and you will see the fuel consumption line up with what you calculate. The car is overstating the distance driven and as such over estimates the mileage.

The speedometer is showing too much to ensure that you don't break the speed limit, but the odometer, which is what's used to calculate the consumption, shall be more accurate.

The figures you get at the pump when filling the car is better than the figures the car calculates for you.

453747.png

The only way I know to calculate consumption accurately is at the pump based on miles driven. I'm at 28+ and pretty happy for a 6 cyl. Don't know about the 2.5 but 40 sounds like Prius territory but if that's why you got the 4, then great. My speedo seems right on as I "test" every morning as I fly by the radar warning post (usually blinking red and blue) but the speed matches my digital read out exactly.

1-2721266-7591-t.jpg.467a864d0a954f67c1b22138f1135294.jpg

I'm at 28+ and pretty happy for a 6 cyl.

That's pretty good. I've been getting around 23mpg but I've been a bit throttle happy lately with manual shifting. Hard not to be on the 3.6r

The only way I know to calculate consumption accurately is at the pump based on miles driven. I'm at 28+ and pretty happy for a 6 cyl. Don't know about the 2.5 but 40 sounds like Prius territory but if that's why you got the 4, then great. My speedo seems right on as I "test" every morning as I fly by the radar warning post (usually blinking red and blue) but the speed matches my digital read out exactly.

[emoji23] [emoji38] The sign does crack me up. I do a lot of coasting, feather the throttle and hypermile. I checked the numbers a few times and ran a few half tanks to confirm. Worse or best case would be 37mpg. Here's a screen shot of my most recent gas consumption. It was almost at half with 237 miles. I Tried to get the right angle as to not make it seen doctored. I may be wrong but I'm still happy with the mpg I'm getting. 7c8cd5d2bfc46365491f760e40800408.jpg

That's pretty good. I've been getting around 23mpg but I've been a bit throttle happy lately with manual shifting. Hard not to be on the 3.6r

I'm still in break in mode but almost at 1K. So I have been driving light. Also my trips to work are on back roads at about 50mph. I manually downshift to try and break her in at variable RPMs a bit. Probably only done about 20 miles of interstate at about 75-80 so really optimum for mileage. That will change soon. I did not buy it to baby it...:)

I have been getting a combined 40mpg city and highway.
Here's a screen shot of my most recent gas consumption. It was almost at half with 237 miles.

Not to be too obvious, but ... Using half a tank of fuel (9.25 gallons) over 237 miles is ~25.6 mpg.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

[emoji23] [emoji38] The sign does crack me up. I do a lot of coasting, feather the throttle and hypermile. I checked the numbers a few times and ran a few half tanks to confirm. Worse or best case would be 37mpg. Here's a screen shot of my most recent gas consumption. It was almost at half with 237 miles. I Tried to get the right angle as to not make it seen doctored. I may be wrong but I'm still happy with the mpg I'm getting.

Using half a tank (9.25 gallons) of fuel over 237 miles is ~25.6 mpg.

It-Gets-Complicated-Funny-Math-Meme.jpg

negative, Speedo and odometer are both inqccurate

There are legal requirements on the odometer on how much off it is permitted to be.

So as long as you use the manufacturer approved tires it's going to be pretty good.

The fuel consumption gauge in the car is almost always off the mark, sometimes it shows 10% more than actual consumption, sometimes 10% less compared to the amount filled and driven distance on the odometer.

453747.png

yes there are legal requirements but as it stands right now (in the states), accuracy is not one of them. The error rate in the order of a few percent and based upon a specific tire diameter that the car is spec'ed for... Honda specs their clusters for a +/2 2.5%

A 2mph error at 50mph is 4%, at 72mph it drops to 2.8% .All modern cars calculate speed and mileage off of a VSS or output shaft speed sensor...Subaru is no exception they calculate distance the same way and you get similar results. Your speedo and odometer accuracy will change as your tires wear from new to old....

And that accuracy is way better than what the fuel consumption indication in the cluster is. More than that - it's consistent so you can compare your fill-ups pretty well, and also compare with other cars of the same model.

The only way to get more accurate than that is to use a calibrated wheel trailing the vehicle. Even GPS units cuts some corners, so they can also have inaccurate measurements.

453747.png

Archived