LegacyGT.com

tire shine, what are people using?

I use Eagle one A2Z, well I think its called All Wheel Cleaner now. Its good to get stuff off, but i always have to go in with a rag to clean up, and get to the surfaces behind the spokes of the wheel. When I am done with the car I use Eagle One Wet Tire Shine. The Shine lasts about 2 weeks for me. One thing i noticed that the inner wheel (behind the spokes) don't get nearly as dirty as they used to for me. I wash my car about once a month, and initially the wheels were just filthy after a month or so. I am pushing 5 weeks, and they don't look that dirty at all.

Gee, I live in TN and I wash my car like 1-2 times weekly :-)

But, I'm a Fanatic.

Also, I was thinking of switching tire shine products. The Eagle Wet One sounds pretty good. I am currently using Tire Shine Foam spray from Armor all. Not that great.

• 2 weeks later...
I was using Vinylex for a good low shine dressing but I've recently switched to Dupont Teflon Tire Shine. It lasts weeks, but isn't super shiny like Meg's Endurance. Also, it doesn't look like there is an oily film on my tires, just that the rubber is clean and bright. It doesn't sling at all if allowed time to dry. It really seems to absord into the tires and not just ride up on the surface and swear off easily.

Just applied some of the Dupont Teflon shine today to my tires, after washing the car. Interesting product. Indeed it's not an oily liquid. It's almost quite watery. And it's white. At first I thought, "eh? I'm spraying milk on my tires!" :lol:

It's not a slick-type of shine. More like a matte gloss. My tires were getting brownish due to brake dust, so I'm hoping the tire shine will help alleviate that. Let's see how long it'll last.

-=- Livin life at 140 BPM -=-

Just so you know.... teflon doesn't do anything unless it is baked on at like 1200 degrees. All these 'teflon' products that Dupont has put out the last couple of years make me laugh. :lol: They are good products, but it isn't because of the teflon in them.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

You mean Meguiar's Endurance? I've used that before. Definitely smells like grapes. It is a good product. A little shiny for my taste, but it is way durable and doesn't sling bad at all if you wipe the tire down after you apply it.

thats what I use, it doesnt turn your tires brown either.

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

It's not the tire shine that turns your tires brown. Well, kind of it is. What turns the tires brown is all the crud that is attracted to the tire shine. Dirt and brake dust and that sort of thing. The greasier your tire shine = the more brown your tires will get if you go too long between cleaning them. In fact, most tire shine products will make your tires look brown after awhile. Usually after 3 or 4 weeks you'll start to see it. If you clean and treat your tires every other week then you shouldn't really notice.

OCDETAILS BLOG

And you are using the Meguiar's Endurance? I'll have to give it another shot. I'm always flip flopping back and forth with what I use for tires. There are so many products out there that pretty much perform exactly the same that I can't really commit to one particular brand or product. I guess the next bottle I buy will be Endurance to see how it handles LGT brake dust. :)

OCDETAILS BLOG

Just so you know.... teflon doesn't do anything unless it is baked on at like 1200 degrees. All these 'teflon' products that Dupont has put out the last couple of years make me laugh. :lol: They are good products, but it isn't because of the teflon in them.

True... I was thinking about that the other day. :lol:

With the Dupont teflon stuff, I view it more as Chapstick for my tires. Instead of dry unhappy tires, I now get glossy smooth happy ones. Oh joy! :icon_cool

-=- Livin life at 140 BPM -=-

Only thing I didn't like about the Eagle One stuff actually has nothing to do with the way it looks. When I try to clean the tire swiper thing afterwards in the sink and with soap, I get this greasy sludgy black crud that just won't wash or rinse off. I'm guessing that this is oil based and that's what's causing the black sludge? I think I will also try the Endurance next since the Eagle One was a free sample bottle.

You shouldn't wash out the applicator. It doesn't need to be cleaned at all. I just leave mine on a towel next to the tire shine and use it the next time. They are fragile enough that washing them will just shorten their life.

OCDETAILS BLOG

my friend (who's family owns a bodyshop/used car lot) gave me a generic spray bottle filled with, what he called "superseal". its a light pinkish-purple liquid.

this is the best stuff i ever used on tires (and i've tried it all) - i applied some over a month ago, and the tires are still clean and black looking. he gave it to me about a year ago, but i just used it recently, because i had so much Meguiar's, spray-on, etc. tire dressing to use up before i tried something else. i'll probably give the other crap away now. i'm sure it is some sort of commercial product he got in a 55 gallon drum, but i'll try to find out who makes it.

........Some time back, a friend told me that the tire shines shouldn't be used too often as they contain compounds that would reduce the lifespan of the tires. Urban myth?

Michelin specifically states not to use "tire dressings containing petroleum distillates".

• 4 months later...

I've been using No Touch Wet'n"Protect for a long time. I just bought a batch of it and now it says contains petrolium distillates. I still had my other can so I went and compared. The other can has a big sign that says DOES NOT CONTAIN petroleum distillates. So since the time I bought my last can they obvsiously changed the formula. Anyyone know about this?

I'd rather not use a formula that contains petrolium distillates. I've heard similar things about PDs causing problems with tires but I have no proof either way. What do you say?

• 3 weeks later...

I've used Meguiar's Endurance gel in the past and liked the results. Now, I'm using Black Fire tire spray. In order to avoid overspray altogether, I spray the Black Fire (or is it Black Magic?... can't remember) directly onto the applicator (using a stream). This has worked well for years... In the past I got pissed whenever I'd spray the stuff onto my wheels, etc. :)

Eagle One gives me the same results. Either way, I'll use any product that doesn't fling off the tires and onto the side of the car.

When I picked my car up at the dealer to purchase I noticed the next day there was all this crap on the doors and lower rear quarter panels. I knew it was the tire dressing they used, but I had no idea what it was. Either way, it made a huge mess.

• 3 months later...

update since i started this thread well back when....

I've been using Meguiar's Endurance up to now but I've gone back to good old 303. I didn't really like the way the Meguiar's would seem to layer on top of itself and the tire surface would get blotchy looking. Maybe I'm suppose to clean and scrub the tire before every application but I don't have the time nor inclination to do that.

Now that i'm back with the 303, it's water-based and doesn't last as long, but it seems to leave a more natural looking black to the rubber and it doesn't build up with repeated applications like Meguiar's.

Can anyone please teach me how to clean the inner wheel please? I am driving the 02 Legacy with stock rims, so it has so many spokes. I don't know what i should use in order to clean the inner wheel properly. It is really dirty now and what is the best product to make my wheels look shine?

Archived