LegacyGT.com

I guess it's my turn

Which option should I go with?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which option should I go with?

• Rebuild 60K WRX shortblock, keep stock.
    • Buy "Stage 3" block, rebuild B25 heads with fueling and VF52
    • Buy "Stage 3" block, rebuild D25 heads with fueling and VF52
    • Go Crazy, build Stage 3, JMPVF52, GS TMIC, topfeed, etc.

Haven't forgotten about this. Just slowly acquiring the parts I need. Currently torn between stock head gaskets or one of the aftermarket options. Have ARP head studs to use. Still need the heads cleaned and adjusted. Sticking with stock valves and cams. Then I can start putting things together

OEM HG's are fine. It's all in the tune.

My wagon has almost 95,000 miles on the OEM's and ARP studs at 21psi.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heads are back from the machine shop. They look pretty damn good, which they better for how much I paid... 3 exhaust valves were bent, and got replaced. Tanked and flushed, valve seats recut, valves adjusted, cams polished. Damn near good as new!

580849117_freshheads.thumb.jpg.2a98c09a913e05f9bd3e64f6bcd12301.jpg

678917996_cleanheads.thumb.jpg.0b957d5c43905b6d4effe6c102ac9bb1.jpg

Things are literally starting to come together:wub::wub::spin:

killerbee.thumb.jpg.cc2be060099ef7a79906e33635699b55.jpg

1181393803_wpon.thumb.jpg.52f968fc90f4d65fe7c64bf8817f961c.jpg

I'm also hoping my spare truck sells so I can upgrade to some decent coil overs as well. maybe someday I'll start a half hearted build thread.

John Hancock

I'm pretty sure the intakes are the same, and plastic exhaust are the same. Double check the part numbers on a Subaru OEM parts site.

You (or the shop) needs a special Torx bit to open the gears to clean them. Company 23 sells it. And then you risk damaging a oddly shaped seal that you cannot buy alone. I cleaned my avcs gears when I did my engine. The C23 bit wasn't that expensive.

I'm pretty sure the intakes are the same, and plastic exhaust are the same. Double check the part numbers on a Subaru OEM parts site.

You (or the shop) needs a special Torx bit to open the gears to clean them. Company 23 sells it. And then you risk damaging a oddly shaped seal that you cannot buy alone. I cleaned my avcs gears when I did my engine. The C23 bit wasn't that expensive.

The motor they are off threw a rod, so I'm cleaning or replacing everything that touches oil. I have them open already, but am price checking replacements, just in case.

John Hancock

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anybody else have problems getting the right parts from the dealership? Ive been in twice to get cam seals, and both times they managed to get me the wrong ones. The inner diameter is too large, they don't even touch the cams.

Oh well, I guess its a minor hiccup in the long run

John Hancock

• 3 weeks later...

I'm getting so close, I can taste it! or, maybe thats the blood from where I bit my cheek?

Not a huge fan of how the fuel lines are fitting. Might get creative and redo them entirely.

614054744_gettingcloser.thumb.jpg.fc8ff72953b5c741f8d90e4aff91b1cc.jpg

The cam gears are actually incredibly easy to service. Just have to be careful with gaskets, since you can't replace them.

163256531_camgearopen.thumb.jpg.3dca960a7132501dcad27fabc46194f3.jpg

Fun with colors!

333754216_tgvblue.thumb.jpg.f1899bd32952c06cc383134c81a3abe2.jpg

1395886895_railsnblue.thumb.jpg.9cadc3192825b06c8d02536b7786ee66.jpg

John Hancock

• 3 weeks later...

I am currently a turbo and inlet away from starting the swap. Funds have all but dried up, so I am peddling my sC300 as hard as possible. I'm still holding out hope for an FP Blue or 71HTA, but patience wears thin.

I'm going to reuse the 50K mile motor mounts, because I can't swing for Group N right now.

What is the going opinion on the stock intake at this level? I've heard it's good up to 400whp, and I'm shooting for 385 - 400.

I'm also going to have a complete EJ255 available once the swap is done. 200K miles But is currently my daily driver. - a local member has first dibs, but doesn't hurt to check interest levels.

I'm still hoping to be swapped and tuned by summer. Just on time for a couple road trips

John Hancock

My vote is grimmspeed intake. If you come to help with my 6 speed swap this next week either before we tear stuff down or once it's driving again I give you a ride so you can hear the grimmspeed.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

My vote is grimmspeed intake. If you come to help with my 6 speed swap this next week either before we tear stuff down or once it's driving again I give you a ride so you can hear the grimmspeed.

Just let me know when.

John Hancock

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

A month later and a quick phone call to Forced Performance reveals that my Blue hasn't even been started yet, I'm still a ways down their list. I was told 3 weeks on my initial inquiry call, and then 3-4 by email once purchased. Now I'm going to be 6 weeks minimum by the time it's built and coated. Anybody else had this experience with them?

Honestly, 6 weeks isn't the end of the world. But when I'm quoted 3 weeks, then 3-4 and come to find out it hasn't even been started after a month, I'm unhappy...

Turbo is literally the only thing I'm waiting on before swapping at this time. I suppose I could install the FMIC and intake and just tune accordingly on stock EJ

John Hancock

• 2 weeks later...

fpgreen.thumb.jpg.492ef8c21c7604c36a1cf167de11ecc3.jpg

Got this in the mail yesterday, along with the STi style FMIC pipe I needed. AEM wide band will be here Monday. This is a larger turbo than I had initially wanted but, I think it will work out just fine. Most reports see onset of boost around 3000-3200, with peak around 4200 (25lbs ish). I'm now shooting for 400whp on 92Will be ready for a wrecked Spec B or STi 6 speed!

greenmock.jpg.68ff4f8ec660e4af36a5cecbeda5dab5.jpg

It sure does look good in there though, I can't wait. Swap will get underway in the next couple of days and hoping to be driving out of the shop next weekend.

Side note: debating repainting valve covers, TGV housings, FMIC and intake to match. Instead two different shades of blue and random bare metal.

John Hancock

What valve covers...you can't see them, don't waste your time. It's not a show car.

If you paint the FMIC make sure it dissipates heat.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

What valve covers...you can't see them, don't waste your time. It's not a show car.

If you paint the FMIC make sure it dissipates heat.

Rocker covers, whatever... they're already painted, but a different blue than my fmic piping. But my intake is not nor my alt cover or rad shroud. I like things to match. FMIC core will not be painted.

John Hancock

Archived