LegacyGT.com

Building the perfect LGT

So youre saying they didnt mention it because they didnt want to do it? [emoji38] they were half way there... why not just take more of my money and get the valves while your in there?

I have a feeler, 3 actually. The shim under bucket on my KX and KLX are super easy. After my first time i got it down to about an hour to check - somehow i dont think ill get that good on the LGT. I just dont have the space or time currently.

Ill probably get Btssm to monitor misfire and clean the injectors and worry about getting the valves adjusted when its starting to look like a problem - if its not already.

On the other hand, a burnt valve is a good reason to go with a 257 right? :rolleyes:

Well, only if the bottom end needs repair.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Even OEM my luck is crap. My STI UP heat shield broke and rattled to all hell. The emissions guys also threw a fit the cat was gone so I ended up leaving the car registered out of state. Either way, most the people commenting have had real world experience with multiple engines and setups between their actual car and other members nearby them. Also this section of the forums have been around for an eternity so info is almost overwhelming at times.

You are not kidding about the info!

I went to the dealer to for catless UP prices and was quoted $400 oem, and $140 for invidia. However, just found a like new STi UP for $60. Sold. :lol: I want to get the cat out of there... Im a dog guy! ;)

I can make the bottom end need repair :p

This engine has been decently taken care of, and still has good life in it for awhile if I take even better care, so I dont see the need to rush into a 257.

05' LGT, ZFD Built 5MT, Stage 2 Cryotune 91/E85, 170,000mi running BRotella T6 and Ecoguard S4615 filters.

Even OEM my luck is crap. My STI UP heat shield broke and rattled to all hell. The emissions guys also threw a fit the cat was gone so I ended up leaving the car registered out of state. Either way, most the people commenting have had real world experience with multiple engines and setups between their actual car and other members nearby them. Also this section of the forums have been around for an eternity so info is almost overwhelming at times.

You are not kidding about the info!

I went to the dealer to for catless UP prices and was quoted $400 oem, and $140 for invidia. However, just found a like new STi UP for $60. Sold. :lol: I want to get the cat out of there... Im a dog guy! ;)

I can make the bottom end need repair :p

This engine has been decently taken care of, and still has good life in it for awhile if I take even better care, so I dont see the need to rush into a 257.

05' LGT, ZFD Built 5MT, Stage 2 Cryotune 91/E85, 170,000mi running BRotella T6 and Ecoguard S4615 filters.

• 4 months later...

Sparkey,

looks like you and I are in the same neck of the woods. I live on the east side of town (marksheffel/constitution). I just recently grabbed an 05' LGT Wagon and have been searching threads on this site for the better part of a month. great knowledge here. If you ever want to meet up for whatever, just let me know. I also have a pretty decent setup at home for wrenching (snap-on and matco everything) if you ever need help with something.

~Jazz

Sparkey,

looks like you and I are in the same neck of the woods. I live on the east side of town (marksheffel/constitution). I just recently grabbed an 05' LGT Wagon and have been searching threads on this site for the better part of a month. great knowledge here. If you ever want to meet up for whatever, just let me know. I also have a pretty decent setup at home for wrenching (snap-on and matco everything) if you ever need help with something.

~Jazz

Yea I'd be down to meet up sometime or something. I'd be careful offering help tho - My car needs to go under for major surgery! :p

Adjusting valves on a lgt turbo car requires removing the camshafts and replacing the manual lash adjusters with a different thicknesses. Pita on the car. Usually they don't get too far out of adjustment but I haven't checked mine. Worth a feeler gauge to know!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I had to change like 5 on my motor I know one of the exhaust clearance was like .016 all my intakes were fine

My experiences with the car are in the "abusive PO" camp, so my car was a fair sight worse when I initially got it. It's much better now, but my car was more or less down for a year while getting everything sorted.

One thing I'll really suggest to save money is to talk to the tuner you want to work with. They can recommend a more or less bulletproof build based on what you want. A mistake I initially made with my car was buying parts that tuners don't like to tune for, causing me to have to sell what I'd purchased and buy the recommended parts. I lost a bit of money on that deal too.

The perfect LGT is one that runs and doesn't steal your kids college fund.

0 for 2 at the moment :spin:

I think my wagon has finally got there. It's been pretty rock solid the past couple years...hope I don't regret saying that...LOL

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I think my wagon has finally got there. It's been pretty rock solid the past couple years...hope I don't regret saying that...LOL

You got the resources to handle it tho. once I get the heads back (whenever I find a shop I'm comfortable with) I still have to find a way to get it back in.

I'm currently playing with different exhaust set up's to find one I can live with for the 2+hour drive to VT this winter. The Q300 is way to loud.

The custom exhaust has finally rusted out. I may have to have some Magna flows fitted to the stock Y pipe with the old 4" tips.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

the sucky part is by the time my car is running Im going to start to have to find some winter tires.. while I do have all seasons on my job requires me to be up before my complex is plowed normally it's between 3-5"

and road salt :(

the sucky part is by the time my car is running Im going to start to have to find some winter tires.. while I do have all seasons on my job requires me to be up before my complex is plowed normally it's between 3-5"

and road salt :(

LOL my LGT was decent in the snow. The Accord with factory 19" wheels on 2 season continentals sucks in 1 inch of snow and beyond.

Would you guys recommend an AOS for a daily driver? I keep going back and forth because I read that the Crawford or IAG seem to be the best but the cost seems steep. I noticed that there is a group buy on the Crawford so I'm reconsidering :lol:.

I've read for a daily driver they can be a pain in cold weather and such. Also it can be problematic with short drives. But is that just for the "catch cans" or just the way all AOS work?

I have one on my wagon, I won't put one on my Spec B. Y, because not race car.

I drive the wagon long distance, the AOS will have a little milky stuff in it during the cold spells in winter.

http://www.sigmafour.net/maxcapacity/AOS.JPG

I have one on my wagon, I won't put one on my Spec B. Y, because not race car.

I drive the wagon long distance, the AOS will have a little milky stuff in it during the cold spells in winter.

http://www.sigmafour.net/maxcapacity/AOS.JPG

Hey Max what's the difference between the one that screws on the oil filler neck to the one that's a canister? I was thinking about getting the IAG one.

Would you guys recommend an AOS for a daily driver?
The Subaru world is full of pointless mods pushed on people by fads and marketing hype. This is one of those. An AOS might make sense on a race car with an engine built to loose tolerances that spends much of its time on boost. For a daily driver, there are much better ways to spend your money.

I'm currently playing with different exhaust set up's to find one I can live with for the 2+hour drive to VT this winter. The Q300 is way to loud.

:lol: You know what they say, Max. "If it's to loud , you're to old";):lol:

Love my Q300, with about 150k on it & my daily, hour plus commute. Love the the sound still:cool:.

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Love my Q300, with about 150k on it & my daily, hour plus commute. Love the the sound still:cool:.

Are you running a catted DP ? I'm catless.

Hey Max what's the difference between the one that screws on the oil filler neck to the one that's a canister? I was thinking about getting the IAG one.

Less maintenance. It puts the oil back into the pan instead of in a can.

Love my Q300, with about 150k on it & my daily, hour plus comute. Love the the sound still:cool:.

Thats funny - but some of the Subies around me are starting to sound as bad as Honda fart cans. Not sure if an exhaust can be purchased that way or if these dopes just hacked it up to make it sound so bad. I keep reading about DP's to try and find a "quiet" one, but it seems for every person that says ones loud theres one that says its quiet. I see them in the classifieds often... maybe I should pick one up to try it...

The Subaru world is full of pointless mods pushed on people by fads and marketing hype. This is one of those. An AOS might make sense on a race car with an engine built to loose tolerances that spends much of its time on boost. For a daily driver, there are much better ways to spend your money.

Interesting - that seems so bassackwards to me. I would think that the racecar would have tighter tolerances and everything. And are you trying to tell me my LGT isnt a racecar? :p

Archived