LegacyGT.com

What's your top speed???

I've been reading up on forums and been looking at the fact that it said these cars are limited to 130 something MPH. Unless you get a tune to remove the governor. When I just got my car bone stock from some old guy, I actually maxed it out at around 155 where the car would redline in 5th. Anybody else like this?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...When I just got my car bone stock from some old guy, I actually maxed it out at around 155 where the car would redline in 5th...

Make sure your tires are rated for that high speed. If you hope to be an old guy yourself some day, that is. :)

155-160? Not in my GT though, this was on the ZX-6R. When you are going that fast the only thing I was thinking about was slowing down and not dying. Only did it once, the highway was clear as far as I could see. Looking back now, I was really dumb and I'm glad I sold that thing before I killed myself.

But boy oh boy, did I love that thing.

The stock tune for an 05 GT has a speed limiter set at 138 which reduces the DBW throttle opening. If you somehow get to 141 anyway, there's a fuel cut.

Not sure how you "stock" guys got past that unless the speedlimiter code is non-functional. A good test would be to set the limiter speed much lower in the tune and see what happens.

Even with my tune I retained the 138 limited because there is absolutely no reason to need to go any faster seeing as my car doesn't go on track yet.

Gex is right about the gearing and I love it when this question comes up on legacy facebook pages and there are people that claim 180. Not possible without higher rev limiter and taller gears.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

I've hit the limiter twice. First time was with the vf40 and I thought that it was just it simply running out of juice at the top end cause it wasn't very abrupt. Then with the vf52 the second time it was kinda disappointing and was a bit of a jolt as the throttle closed at that speed.

2005 Vader Wagon

Even with my tune I retained the 138 limited because there is absolutely no reason to need to go any faster seeing as my car doesn't go on track yet.

Gex is right about the gearing and I love it when this question comes up on legacy facebook pages and there are people that claim 180. Not possible without higher rev limiter and taller gears.

What I don't get is how my stock and current tune both have 138 listed as the limit. I'm too old to bullshit and posture on the internet. I can only tell you what happened. Not long after I bought my car I decided to top it out. Something I've done since 1997, I was 14 and took my dad's car out while my parents were gone.

I have no reason to believe the prior owner had changed the ecu at all. In fact he claimed it was all completely stock and prided himself on that. Anyway I matted the throttle just to see how far it would go. Now there's no markings to indicate actual speed between 150-160 but I can tell you I was nearer 160 than 150. I was pretty much redlined and decided to back it down. It was the adrenaline rush of a lifetime, and the fastest I've gone in a car. My experience substantiates the approximate limit of 155 based on gearing. As to why I blew past the limiter, I have no explanation. I can say unequivocally that I was traveling that speed however.

Disclaimer--I don't advocate this type of behavior. It's extremely reckless and dangerous. I've just done some crazy things in my life and lived to report back. It's probably why I don't behave that way anymore. Also I live in a sparsely populated area. I know of some desolate roadways that are begging to be tested. At this stage of my life I agree with MTBwrench that I'd rather be going around a corner feeling g's than just riding in a straight line.

fwiw I don't know of too many tracks where you can legitimately hit those speeds. I've tracked at Road America and even with those long straights you're in the 130's (obviously it greatly depends on your car)

Make sure your tires are rated for that high speed. If you hope to be an old guy yourself some day, that is. :)

I had Hankook RS-3 tires so I'm guessing that they were good enough considering that are made for the track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Z rated tires are 149 mph max. I'm sure you were not up there for long. But if anything goes wrong at that speed, you are toast. So, just hoping you will be careful.

Good old boring physics tells us that kinetic energy increases with square of velocity. Meaning it will take you at least four times longer to stop the car from 150 mph than from 75 mph. Your reaction time stays the same at 150 mph as 75 mph, but you will travel twice as far before you can react. You could easily travel 220 feet in 1 second before you react.

Combine your increased braking distance + reaction time distance and you find it could take roughly 900 + 220 = 1120 feet for you to stop. That's about a fifth of a mile.

Just something to keep in mind.

If the tune is in fact stock...there are those of us around you seem to think the stock tune is not safe for these cars. There seems to be some internet rumor, that the stock tune can burn exhaust valves and break ring lands on #4 piston.

I would be one of those that would recommend you not push the engine that again until it has a proper tune.

When I first read post #4 earlier today when I was about to leave for work...my first thought was, "in before boom".

After the boom, the next thought is #ynansb .

These cars are great fun with the proper 3"down pipe and tune, and catless up pipe in your 05-06. I recommend www.tuningalliance.com for the tune, also if you want cleaner shifts, Moore Performance Blast Plates on the 5mt.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

What I don't get is how my stock and current tune both have 138 listed as the limit. I'm too old to bullshit and posture on the internet. I can only tell you what happened. Not long after I bought my car I decided to top it out. Something I've done since 1997, I was 14 and took my dad's car out while my parents were gone.

I have no reason to believe the prior owner had changed the ecu at all. In fact he claimed it was all completely stock and prided himself on that. Anyway I matted the throttle just to see how far it would go. Now there's no markings to indicate actual speed between 150-160 but I can tell you I was nearer 160 than 150. I was pretty much redlined and decided to back it down. It was the adrenaline rush of a lifetime, and the fastest I've gone in a car. My experience substantiates the approximate limit of 155 based on gearing. As to why I blew past the limiter, I have no explanation. I can say unequivocally that I was traveling that speed however.

Disclaimer--I don't advocate this type of behavior. It's extremely reckless and dangerous. I've just done some crazy things in my life and lived to report back. It's probably why I don't behave that way anymore. Also I live in a sparsely populated area. I know of some desolate roadways that are begging to be tested. At this stage of my life I agree with MTBwrench that I'd rather be going around a corner feeling g's than just riding in a straight line.

fwiw I don't know of too many tracks where you can legitimately hit those speeds. I've tracked at Road America and even with those long straights you're in the 130's (obviously it greatly depends on your car)

road america is a great track. but i have Brainerd International here. it has the longest straight away in north america. couple feet short of a mile. it's part of the drag strip. hitting the straight from turn 9 in 3rd, i've reached 155. thank god turn 10 is a banks turn.

1522695024_ScreenShot2017-02-16at12_46_49PM.png.1022d675b6956df3b6856dafbe14507d.png

If the tune is in fact stock...there are those of us around you seem to think the stock tune is not safe for these cars. There seems to be some internet rumor, that the stock tune can burn exhaust valves and break ring lands on #4 piston.

I would be one of those that would recommend you not push the engine that again until it has a proper tune.

When I first read post #4 earlier today when I was about to leave for work...my first thought was, "in before boom".

After the boom, the next thought is #ynansb .

These cars are great fun with the proper 3"down pipe and tune, and catless up pipe in your 05-06. I recommend www.tuningalliance.com for the tune, also if you want cleaner shifts, Moore Performance Blast Plates on the 5mt.

Yeah I have a stage 2 ready but let's just say with no tune it was dangerous to drive so for rn I'm back to stock but I do have everything for a stage 2 like an up and dp

Z rated tires are 149 mph max. I'm sure you were not up there for long. But if anything goes wrong at that speed, you are toast. So, just hoping you will be careful.

Of course not too long, though tires were W-rated (168 mph max).

Yeah I have a stage 2 ready but let's just say with no tune it was dangerous to drive so for rn I'm back to stock but I do have everything for a stage 2 like an up and dp

So you have all stage 2 parts on the car right now but running stock tune? Thats the way I read that statement. If so it won't be long before boom.

2005 Vader Wagon

Archived