LegacyGT.com

What's your top speed???

^^this took you FOREVER long in the 2.5i. I had an 09 5mt for a few years.

We were cruising at 80 mph then took off. So yeah took me about a day to get to 118 lol. But really it was slightly downhill so we were both fooled into thinking our cars were mildly quick

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It didn't take that long for me to pull from 80-155. I mean I pulled in 4th til redline then 5 gear pulled the rest. But man honestly from 80-100 in 5th the car pulls like a train. #loveboost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I topped my third gen LGT out at 118 on I-94 one morning. I used to work early in the morning and rush to work at the last minute. I don't really do that anymore. I've briefly gone 100-110ish probably in the LGT but haven't really been tempted beyond that.

Additionally, after spending so much time on this forum I've developed an anxiety about driving my car. :redface: I'm constantly scared that I'm going to blow a ringland or the turbo will fail and grenade the engine, or a suspension/steering/etc. bolt isn't tight enough and the car is gonna fall apart, or a vacuum hose is gonna fly off, or maybe the tune wasn't revised QUITE enough and I'm gonna run JUST lean enough under WOT to blow something up....

This car seems so fragile and expensive compared to my third gen. The third gen was great because it was a tank and it was so slow with that NA 2.5 that I could push it to the limit without going very fast. On onramps I could push it to the point where the rear end would start to slide and then back off because I didn't have to worry about a windy gust of boost flying in and blowing me into a ditch. Haha.

EDIT: 130mph

It didn't take that long for me to pull from 80-155. I mean I pulled in 4th til redline then 5 gear pulled the rest. But man honestly from 80-100 in 5th the car pulls like a train. #lovebooost

You're doing it wrong, dude. You want to be in 3rd for 80-100. #choochootrain

I topped my third gen LGT out at 118 on I-94 one morning. I used to work early in the morning and rush to work at the last minute. I don't really do that anymore. I've briefly gone 100-110ish probably in the LGT but haven't really been tempted beyond that.

Additionally, after spending so much time on this forum I've developed an anxiety about driving my car. :redface: I'm constantly scared that I'm going to blow a ringland or the turbo will fail and grenade the engine, or a suspension/steering/etc. bolt isn't tight enough and the car is gonna fall apart, or a vacuum hose is gonna fly off, or maybe the tune wasn't revised QUITE enough and I'm gonna run JUST lean enough under WOT to blow something up....

This car seems so fragile and expensive compared to my third gen. The third gen was great because it was a tank and it was so slow with that NA 2.5 that I could push it to the limit without going very fast. On onramps I could push it to the point where the rear end would start to slide and then back off because I didn't have to worry about a windy gust of boost flying in and blowing me into a ditch. Haha.

It seems to me most of the issues we hear about in this forum a focused on the turbo charged cars. I don't recall seeing a lot of NA engine related issues. I wonder how the two versions of the 4th generation compare, reliability wise.

It seems to me most of the issues we hear about in this forum a focused on the turbo charged cars. I don't recall seeing a lot of NA engine related issues. I wonder how the two versions of the 4th generation compare, reliability wise.

If it's not ringlands it's head gaskets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

Put it this way. I have only seen 1 gt around where I live...

Sent from a galaxy far far away...

The head gasket was still an issue with the fourth generation model? I wonder why it took Subaru so long to address it (or is it still an issue with the sixth generation?)
The issue continues to occur on normally-aspirated Legacy & Outback models until the 2010 model year. The gaskets will fail on almost all of these cars somewhere in the 80K-120K range. Subaru finally started using an improved multi-layer-steel (MLS) gasket that is similar to what they have on the turbo motors.

Why did it take so long? Very good question.

The issue continues to occur on normally-aspirated Legacy & Outback models until the 2010 model year. The gaskets will fail on almost all of these cars somewhere in the 80K-120K range. Subaru finally started using an improved multi-layer-steel (MLS) gasket that is similar to what they have on the turbo motors.

I didn't realize the issue continued for so long. Wasn't it an issue on the 1997 2.5 models? What surprises me is the replacement HG is a better part which doesn't suffer the same failure. One would have thought Subaru would have moved to the better HG before 2010. Or was it the case the improved replacement HG wasn't available until after the generation four model?

I didn't realize the issue continued for so long. Wasn't it an issue on the 1997 2.5 models? What surprises me is the replacement HG is a better part which doesn't suffer the same failure. One would have thought Subaru would have moved to the better HG before 2010. Or was it the case the improved replacement HG wasn't available until after the generation four model?

There are two different types of head gasket issues. Phase 1 motors (DOHC) had the more serious type problem. This is an internal blowing of the gasket which led to overheating and coolant mixing with the oil. Phase 2 motors (SOHC) used a different kind of head gasket that tends to leak oil and/or coolant externally. This is not so harmful to the engine, but still needs to be repaired. There was a coating on the gaskets that tended to erode away after some time, leading to leaks.

Put it this way. I have only seen 1 gt around where I live...

Sent from a galaxy far far away...

You live in the Bay and have only seen 1 other GT? I dont even get out much and I've seen quite a few GTs around. Granted alot of them are completely stock.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

• 8 months later...
167mph 08 specB. 355whp on 91 had about 1500 rpm left to 7k. Need to try on e85 now bet I can get it to 175.

Bumping an 8 month old thread to claim you can go faster than the physical gearing allows.

I hope you have a 10 point cage, 5 point harnesses, SNELL helmet, and a flame retardent suit to go along with that PPG dogbox and 8000rpm redline. ;)

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Bumping an 8 month old thread to claim you can go faster than the physical gearing allows.

I hope you have a 10 point cage, 5 point harnesses, SNELL helmet, and a flame retardent suit to go along with that PPG dogbox and 8000rpm redline. ;)

Whoa sorry didn't mean to upset someone. IIRC SpecB gearing allows for a top speed around 181 or 183.

1st - 3.636

2nd - 2.235

3rd - 1.521

4th - 1.137

5th - 0.891

6th - 0.707

final drive ratio - 3.9

I'm on 255/40/17 so tire diameter is around 25in. Currently on winter tires that are only rated for 118 but next spring once I get my summer set back on I'll make sure to take a picture of the dash and a gps.

Fortunately a local owns a 500whp+ specB and you can clearly see he's topping out 5th gear around 160, it's a shame he didn't shift into 6th. Granted he has a 8000 rev limit but I'll leave you to do the math for 7000.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-q76rVuyU0

I banged out 76mph. Felt like a rebel; played some George Thorogood 'Bad to the Bone,' and then realized I have low compression, an empty wallet, and a lot of school loans.

Now that I think about it, an empty wallet does make me go faster, right?

The true goal is to see how fast you can max out your speedo... for example, my foxbody had an original 85mph Speedo..... now that went by fast with the turbo haha.

Moral of the story, let us not measure our sausages in this format haha.

Whoa sorry didn't mean to upset someone. IIRC SpecB gearing allows for a top speed around 181 or 183.

1st - 3.636

2nd - 2.235

3rd - 1.521

4th - 1.137

5th - 0.891

6th - 0.707

final drive ratio - 3.9

I'm on 255/40/17 so tire diameter is around 25in. Currently on winter tires that are only rated for 118 but next spring once I get my summer set back on I'll make sure to take a picture of the dash and a gps.

Fortunately a local owns a 500whp+ specB and you can clearly see he's topping out 5th gear around 160, it's a shame he didn't shift into 6th. Granted he has a 8000 rev limit but I'll leave you to do the math for 7000.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-q76rVuyU0

I stand corrected... by my calculations that puts gear limited speed at redline right around 181.4 mph. With an 8,000rpm limiter just around 200. No need to take pictures for proof. :)

My comments about the cage, harness, suit, and helmet still stand though... at those speeds death is pretty much guaranteed in the event of a large mechanical failure or loss of control. These cars were never even remotely engineered for that.

The acceleration in that video really is bonkers though.

I stand corrected... by my calculations that puts gear limited speed at redline right around 181.4 mph. With an 8,000rpm limiter just around 200. No need to take pictures for proof. :)

My comments about the cage, harness, suit, and helmet still stand though... at those speeds death is pretty much guaranteed in the event of a large mechanical failure or loss of control. These cars were never even remotely engineered for that.

The acceleration in that video really is bonkers though.

:redface: Hate when that happens:rolleyes:. But with a drag coefficient .29 & how this car dislike wind to it's sides. 120 come up quickly, the other 40 seems to take forever.

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Archived