LegacyGT.com

Has anyone actually seen a 6MT 6th Gen in the flesh?

Randomly I have seen it in writing that there is an option for a MT.. Although I have never seen an image of a MT or heard of anyone driving the 6th gen with a MT? If and when it does become available I will be on the top of that order list. 4 ReaL.

:eek: I had no idea they didn't have a manual Legacy available in the States anymore.

I'm sure it's all about the dollars, with 95+% of current US Legacy buyers only considering 2 pedal cars, but come on. At least have some respect for the Legacy lineage. Remember, the car that used to be a proper sports sedan?! Shame on you, Subaru!

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

This may or may not be true because I read it on the internet... I heard the reason for them not bringing it in the U.S. was because of gas mileage and pollution. They said the cvt got better gas mileage than the manual and that pollution is a concern in the U.S. It doesn't make sense to me and it angers me..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Randomly I have seen it in writing that there is an option for a MT.. Although I have never seen an image of a MT or heard of anyone driving the 6th gen with a MT? If and when it does become available I will be on the top of that order list. 4 ReaL.

I'd be all over it too! I've been trying to talk to SOA about this since the 6th gen came out. I wish they'd listen.

I own one! 2016 Legacy touring (the trim with the sunroof, fog lights, auto bi-zone climate control, etc).

Subaru Canada probably sells a very low proportions of manual Legacy (and Outback), I would not be surprised if it's as low as 2%. The center console is quite different from the automatic because the Manual shifter footprint is way larger than on the automatic. The armrest is a little shorter as well. I'll post a picture later.

It's great to drive! But, 6th gear is about as tall as 5th gear: the rpm drops from 2650 to 2400 at 100 km/h. I would have made 6th gear way taller for fuel economy.

And it rev-hangs a lot between 1st and 2nd (strangely) and it holds the rpm between shift upon hard acceleration. Like if you reach 5k rpm on 2nd gear, release throttle and press the clutch in, the engine holds 5k rpm for a serious 2 or 3 seconds before it very slowly drops the rpm down. It sorts of always sends fuel into the engine.

I guess they designed the entire car with an automatic, and then threw a manual in without changing the any of the ECU for the engine or the throttle response.

The 5th Gen 6MT rev hangs as well. I have reads that its for emission purposes. I know the WRX does it as well, I suspect Subaru does it on all their MT vehicles. I used to try to release the throttle early and time it, now I brute force it and use the clutch to bring the rpm down. It doesn't always make for the smoothest 1-2 shift....

:eek: I had no idea they didn't have a manual Legacy available in the States anymore.

I'm sure it's all about the dollars, with 95+% of current US Legacy buyers only considering 2 pedal cars, but come on. At least have some respect for the Legacy lineage. Remember, the car that used to be a proper sports sedan?! Shame on you, Subaru!

I think this is the norm for Legacy. If you go back further, you will see, the Legacy was always the least loved Subaru.

1. Ignoring the 1st gen, US versions of the 2nd Gen never had the twin turbo engine (Would not fit left drive cars).

2. 3rd Gen Legacies never got the H6, only Outbacks, though in 2004, the GT did get VTD for the 4EAT. To add insult to injury, the Baja got the 2.5 turbo. (The BAJA!)

3. 4th Gen is earned the glory with the Spec B. (I had a 05 GT, but man, I wish the 07 Spec B was available in 2004 when I got mine!)

4. 5th Gen manual still available for the 2.5GT.

5. 6th Gen, With the exception of the 3.6R, the current Legacy offerings are similar to the 3rd Gen.

My best bud had a 2010 Legacy 2.5GT... Prior to that he had 1998 Legacy 2.5 GT non/limited.. So it lacked the tacky gold honeycomb rims and leather interior.. He now drives a 2016 Outback 3.6 R .. I really miss his 2010 GT.. That car was awesome.. Oddly enough both the 2010 and 1998 had the same issue.. Loss of compression in cylinder #3?

I guess my point in starting this thread was that I really miss driving a manual transmission. I have been fighting myself by not taking the GTI out for a test drive... When the new MK7 1/2 comes out in the next few months, I don't think I'll be able to hold myself back !!

Do the Canadian manual cars come with the H6 or is it only with the 2.5?

If they do in fact come with the H6, Im going to convert my wife's car once its out of warranty and the time comes for her to get a new car.

Unfortunately with all the electronic shit that they put in these cars today to appease morons, a transmission swap has gone from a simple bolt on affair to a damn to a voodoo session of tracking down control modules, sensors, and programming.

Do the Canadian manual cars come with the H6 or is it only with the 2.5?

If they do in fact come with the H6, Im going to convert my wife's car once its out of warranty and the time comes for her to get a new car.

Unfortunately with all the electronic shit that they put in these cars today to appease morons, a transmission swap has gone from a simple bolt on affair to a damn to a voodoo session of tracking down control modules, sensors, and programming.

Only the 2.5 is available with the manual.

To my knowledge, Subaru never sold a manual with the 3.6R, anywhere. The last manual H6 was the 4th gen 3.0R for Japan, Europe and Australia. (New Zealand?)

They look the same from the outside...

But yes as others have said you can only get these in Canada: https://m.subaru.ca/WebPage.aspx?WebSiteID=282&WebPageID=20868&Range=Legacy&ModelYear=2017

Outback_2016_Engineering_6-speed_Manual_Transmission_6MT.jpg

Still the electronic parking brake even in the MT huh? I dont know how I feel about that. Id rather a mechanical brake for a MT. Less to fail imo

@BeastCoast1

It does have the electric parking brake.

http://i.imgur.com/T7YAiA6.jpg

Still don't get why whey couldn't have done cup holders like this for auto cars. That stupid rubber sleeve loves to go with me when I grab my drink:spin:

I wonder if that console piece would still allow full movement of the auto gearshift. The boot would block the indicators but the dash display tells what gear you're in anyway. Cause I want those cup holders:lol::lol:

The Japanese market Legacies with CVT use that style cup holder. The transmission lever is centered in the middle instead of being offset to the left like ours. I think I read somewhere ours were offset to the left so we can have a larger center storage box.

you can thank over zealous EPA and CARB mandates for the death of the manual transmission. In order to meet every increasingly absurd emissions standards, they have to have control over EVERY ASPECT of engine/transmission performance and this includes shifting.

you can thank over zealous EPA and CARB mandates for the death of the manual transmission. In order to meet every increasingly absurd emissions standards, they have to have control over EVERY ASPECT of engine/transmission performance and this includes shifting.

Lol EPA. The EPA is about to learn a (well-deserved) long and hard lesson about MAGA:

http://i.imgur.com/ES57Cy7.jpg

Only the 2.5 is available with the manual.

To my knowledge, Subaru never sold a manual with the 3.6R, anywhere. The last manual H6 was the 4th gen 3.0R for Japan, Europe and Australia. (New Zealand?)

A 6spd 3.6R would have been very nice in a Leg. I really liked that engine in my Outback, but the slow response time from the AT just killed its potential.

The electric parking brake is also the hill holder. So the need for the lever with a manual on a hill is overcome by that. The traditional lever gets in the way of the cup holders. If you want a Subaru with one, the Forester and Impreza give it to you. The MT is available in Canada and the US on the Impreza. I asked my dealer about the MT Legacy and got various opinions. The consensus was that it has a long throw and is not pleasant. I had better luck with Honda products for MT. I believe that Accords still come with them.

Archived