LegacyGT.com

Exciting upgrades coming :-) Thanks everyone!

So after TONS of help from you all, I'm about ready to embark on my first big upgrade adventure. As some of you my already know, I got a nice Xmas bonus from my work, and have been saving up for the last few months. I've been trying to plan out the best mods and upgrades to do.....this is where you all have been a big help. Plus, access to the member classifieds helped me get some great deals!

So here's what I'm doing over the next two weeks.

- VF52 turbo

- Upgraded fuel pump

- Avo TMIC

- Grimmspeed downpipe

- Perrin turbo inlet pipe

- Electronic Boost Solenoid

- Magnaflow Cat-back exhaust system

- Stage 3 pro-tune from Tuning Alliance

Special shout out to The 2Fiver, quick4dr, coldsoda, Max Capacity and everyone else whose hooked me up with great advice and info!

I just went in and became a donor to the site too :-)

If you've not gotten the Avo yet, I'd seriously think of going the Grimmspeed TMIC route if I were you. This is coming from someone who has gone from a Perrin TMIC, that the Avo is a kissing cousin of, to the Grimmspeed. It's worth the money difference. Size, flexibility of going STI turbo inlet type in the future, craftsmanship, and ease of installation are really worth it. As soon as you have to take off and reinstall the AVO a few times, as first step on doing anything with these engines is, "remove the intercooler" you'll be thankful for it.

Injectors?

The lgt injectors will be just fine for this setup. You'll leave some power on the table but my car has been insanely relieable with a vf-52 on stock fueling and makes plently of power for a dd.

It looks like you're going the Max Capacity route, which is exactly what I did. My setup is almost identical except I still run the oem inlet and oem fuel pump. 5+ years, 50k miles without any issues and dead reliable. I also had my car protuned by TA. I'm guessing you're actually going the e-tune route though?

Not sure why so many people have issues with the Perrin/avo. My Perrin fits well and hasn't ever given me any issues, even with removal and install. The grimmspeed is certainly a better unit but for the price, especially on the used market, the Perrin/avo works just fine.

I have always liked the way MagnaFlow sounds. Although most exhaust systems sound close, they seem to all have just a slight difference that sets them apart. The one concern I had was in some of the video clips, it didn't seem to be much louder than stock. But after talking to someone that has a MF system, I felt confident that it was just bad video clips.

That's a well thought-out mod list, should make for quite the upgrade. I'm all for the MagnaFlow idea. Had the original TurboXS MF exhaust on my first WRX and still think it was the perfect sound. As smooth a note as the Prodrive, but with more volume.

And a +1 in favor of ditching the AVO TMIC in favor of a GS or PW style. Much easier to live with, better flow and thermal characteristics, and the flexibility to run an STi style turbo.

Which fuel pump did you decide on?

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

x2; I'm heading in the same direction... and am deciding on which fuel pump and injectors I should grab to get me there... before there evolves yet again of course.

Curious about the magnaflow I tho... on v8s I always dug them, only was a tad more partial to the flowmaster on my v8 jeeps and on fords. Now having a Subaru only shop locally Iowa's talking with the boyz, and they say invidia hands down.. or borla, but consider borla the more expensive alternative to a product equal or superior. Most the suby magnaflow I've found just gets to raspy, not the low gurlgle I'm in pursuit of. I even started a thread about it a few days ago. He said my catless invidia down pipe to stock cbe with hogzaust sounds as good as most magnaflows on our LGTs, for whatever that's worth.

I dooooo like the hogzaust fwiw.. just want that authentic suby purrrrrrrrr

Thanks for all the added insight on my project. As for the AVO TMIC I certainly heard awesome things about the Grimmspeed one. If I remember right they run like $850.

I had this big wish list of all these upgrade that I wanted to do. Most notably the VF52 upgrade. I knew that doing that upgrade was going to run around $4,000 when I included all the supporting mods.

I was able to find a used VF52 and a used AVO TMIC. All together both ran $750. I was able to use the money I saved to buy some more supporting mods.

When it comes to the supporting mods, I can honestly say that'she where a lot of frustration came in. I was getting lots of conflicting opinions on what to do, what not to do, what to skip, what not to skip, etc. One person would say oh you HAVE to have this supporting mod. Then another would say that same mod is no use and a waste of money lol. It got to the point where I took all of my knowledge that I had built up for the advice I was getting then found someone that was going to install my VF52. He said to do the upgrade you need, this, this, this and this. So I got all that stuff and called it a day. So we'll see in a few days how it goes......

My magnaflow exhaust did not get raspy until I installed the catless down pipe. Then only on cold start was it raspy. Once it warmed up the raspy sound really went away. I am going to install a resonator to help combat that.

Also keep in mind the magnaflow tapers to 2.5" at the downpipe flange. So if your running a 3" downpipe you'll want a adapter. I run the grimmspeed adapter and have had 0 leaks. I am going to go v band when I do the resonator to be able to eliminate that adapter though. Couple less gaskets to worry about.

Thanks for all the added insight on my project. As for the AVO TMIC I certainly heard awesome things about the Grimmspeed one. If I remember right they run like $850.

I had this big wish list of all these upgrade that I wanted to do. Most notably the VF52 upgrade. I knew that doing that upgrade was going to run around $4,000 when I included all the supporting mods.

I was able to find a used VF52 and a used AVO TMIC. All together both ran $750. I was able to use the money I saved to buy some more supporting mods.

When it comes to the supporting mods, I can honestly say that'she where a lot of frustration came in. I was getting lots of conflicting opinions on what to do, what not to do, what to skip, what not to skip, etc. One person would say oh you HAVE to have this supporting mod. Then another would say that same mod is no use and a waste of money lol. It got to the point where I took all of my knowledge that I had built up for the advice I was getting then found someone that was going to install my VF52. He said to do the upgrade you need, this, this, this and this. So I got all that stuff and called it a day. So we'll see in a few days how it goes......

Don't fret. Everyone cane take a different upgrade path to get to the same, or close to the same point. While a GrimmSpeed TMIC and bigger injectors would be nice and definitely let you squeeze out more power they're not fully necessary and you can always change that later! Do what your tuner/mechanic tell you, as they'll be the ones handling things in the end! I can fully attest to the cost factor as well.... the aftermarket parts alone for my stock to stage 3.5(I guess?) journey cost well onto the $7,000 range. That doesn't include tuning, fluids, odds and ends, and all the labor was done by myself!

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

To my point... save the $ on the sound good exhaust. And throwing on quality injectors... your tunerbwill thank you and of course you can always add that exhaust later. Only difference is, 1 tune price (local means + don't time$$) vs two tunes if you buy injectors later. Exhaust doesn't necessitate a tune, where as bigger injectors do.

However you do it have fun! I kind of like the baby steps method... over going from stock to full blown stage 25 1/2.3 over the weekend.

Cheers

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. It doesn't matter what you do or don't do. It will either be overkill or not enough in someone's opinion. If you would have got the Grimmspeed TMIC, someone would have said, "why didn't you just get a front mount?" There is always room for improvement in any build whether it be larger injectors, different turbo, etc. The setup you have will be VERY nice and you will enjoy it. That's all that matters.

Looking forward to seeing some numbers when it's all said and done!

To my point... save the $ on the sound good exhaust. And throwing on quality injectors...

We've more or less accepted that TurboRook is using the stock injectors for now. Thanks for your pointer. As for hawgstink washers, they sound comparable at low RPMS to a catback at idle, but quite juvenile with the unnecessary exhaust leak sound at WOT.

never thought id get a forum thank you. feels pretty cool that I have helped someone Legacy no take the beaten path of so many into the ynansb land.

sounds like you put together a solid daily driver setup with room to go bigger in the future.

When it comes to the supporting mods, I can honestly say that'she where a lot of frustration came in. I was getting lots of conflicting opinions on what to do, what not to do, what to skip, what not to skip, etc. One person would say oh you HAVE to have this supporting mod. Then another would say that same mod is no use and a waste of money lol.

Been here, heard that, drove me nuts.

It got to the point where I took all of my knowledge that I had built up for the advice I was getting then found someone that was going to install my VF52. He said to do the upgrade you need, this, this, this and this. So I got all that stuff and called it a day. So we'll see in a few days how it goes......

Then did this using all the other information to ask semi-informed questions. I got a really nice car afterwards.

Keep going, it looks like you are on the right track.

Archived