LegacyGT.com

Brendan's STi 6MT Swap

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just power read through this whole thread, so excited and you're making such quick progress! Can't wait to see it when it's all together, thank you so much for doing this. It's on my list now!

In the future, having this Sti tranny + built motor with either rotated setup or bigger stock location turbo....gunna be a hell of a car

Anyone have any opinions or know of someone who has any opinions on DCCD controllers. I have looked into several, but reviews are few. Any help would be appreciated.

Fred or fahr_side maybe?

Try http://www.RS25.com. I think a lot of those guys do STI swaps. Maybe some good info there.

Generally you would just leave it in auto. This allows the computer to determine how much center diff lock to apply and where to send the power. More front or more rear. It does this via a g sensor located as close as you can to the weight center of the car. Standard on the trans I am installing is 35/65 front rear, but with the controller that can be changed quite a bit either way. In an STI there are also several manual settings and most aftermarket DCCD controllers let you program several manual settings as well. You could tailor these to snow or sporty street driving etc.. I think in general you want less center lock for street giving a rear bias and slippery you want more lock front bias. That is how I understand things. I am sure someone else knows more , so feel free to chime in. Edited by BBPeik

Guys

Thank you so much for all the help and encouragement. I will be fabricating the passenger mount this weekend. It is pretty much just welding a bunch of pieces together. Depending how it turns out it might be nice to have one of you see if you could digitize the designs for others use. That is if they work of course.

For digitizing your mounts just download an app called "123dcatch" to your phone, setup an autodesk account if you don't already have one, and hang the part from some fishing line. Then the app will do the rest well guide you through the process, pretty much take photos from all angles. You can share the file with GTeaser, myself, or any other CAD guys around here we can scale it and clean up any bad tolerances, remove welds ect. and I, or anyone else with a 3d printer can print up some mock up parts. Once tested and tweaked to satisfaction send the CAD file to your Machine shop of choice and get some nice solid mounts. There is quite a few awesome apps made by 123d, my 2nd favorite is called "123dcircuits" and is a Web based circuit/schematic/pcb design lab. I was working on a led taillight pcb for our cars with the guy that ran our pcb shop, but he passed away unexpectedly this past weekend so I don't know if I will get back to that project.

Anyhow... Amazing effin job Brendan! I am now not scared of possibly breaking the tranny in my car, of course not like I'm trying to.

I use Spiider's controller, the DCCDPro. His works well with OEM switches, is well made and the install and troubleshoot documentation is great.

Don't bother with his optional tuning cable and software. I don't think he's tested it on more than one windows version and support is non-existent. The system works really well right out of the box and I don't think I'd have improved it by twiddling.

Just note that the controller is programmed to mimic the stock STi setup and does a very good job when you consider it does not get data from the steering wheel angle sensor or communicate with VDC. You can download Spiider's own documentation as he does a good job of explaining it. The thing to remember is that only in auto mode does lockup change in response to the g-sensor and throttle input. You can bias the system with the trim knob (or wheel) to prompt it to lock up more or less easily, depending on conditions, and I find that quite adequate. Bias more to open when more traction is available and you want the car easier to rotate and steer with the throttle. Bias more toward lockup as conditions get more slippery.

In manual mode you are setting the lockup ratio directly with the thumb wheel so that's best used on gravel or snow I think.

Edited by fahr_side
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

fahr_side: Thanks for the info. I was doing a bunch more research last night and the dccdpro seemed like the way to go. I actually just finished a brief email conversation with Jeff at dccdpro and he was very helpful and his answers assured me I would be getting what I need even given the heavier weight of my car vs an STI.

Yeah, the weight doesn't matter much as it reads acceleration off the g-sensor. Where f/r weight distribution is different you can compensate with the bias knob / thumb wheel.

Are you planning to use Spiider's switch and knob or the OEM ones?

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I got some used GDB ones for my install, much cheaper. You do have to pay attention to which year you buy though, as the pinouts on the auto/manual switch are different. It's a little tricky identifying them, but OTOH it's pretty easy to swap the terminals over if it doesn't work.

What about this piece from the 2015+ STI? If the electrical could be sorted out I like the looks of it for our 5th gens better than the GD STI controls. Possibly cut out just the DCCD portion and fit in similar location on 5th gen console, no need for a dummy SI-Drive knob.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/wrxsti/wrxsti15-sti-interior6.jpg

http://parts.hymanbrossubaru.com/a/Subaru_2015_STI25L-TURBO-6MTSTI/_52016_6464582/SWITCH-INSTRUMENTPANEL-CONSOLE--DOOR/V10-830-03.html

Edited by ebo03

As far as the F/R power in "auto" mode, I believe it is 39/61.

The downside of the 2005 transmission is the shorter gearing.

I thought I had the table at work, but I don't, so no post showing the difference.

In a nutshell, I believe 4th gear runs out at ~95mph

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

^^^Bout time you chimed in here.

Yep the shorter gearing is a drawback, but will make it much quicker. I just checked and 4th on the 05 trans at 7200rpm is 109 mph. 6th on the freeway will be about 350rpm's higher than I was before.

I think the power split is 35/65

Edited by BBPeik