LegacyGT.com

Brendan's STi 6MT Swap

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SO I spent some time installing the shift linkage this afternoon. The STI rear shift bushing bolts right in with no modifications. The bolt holes are there and ready to go. Once installed everything works as planned, but the center console on our cars sits a bit to far back so I can not get the car in 1st. The picture of the stick below is with the car in 3rd. So looks like I am going to have to modify the stick itself to move it back a bit. Should be pretty easy. While I am at it I am going to modify the shifter to shorten the throw as well. Another thing you might notice is that the stick itself sits quite a bit lower than ours. I am pretty happy with it and I think it will be pretty sweet when I am finished modifying it.

20170204_132254.thumb.jpg.9470c7e527477d66795c870990e0ac76.jpg

20170204_133248.thumb.jpg.13877530fb012f2ef9456f7591eec7e2.jpg

Are you using a GDB shift mech or GRB?

Just FYI, my 5MT starter bolted up perfectly but did not engage the flywheel correctly. I ended up using the STi one.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I am using the shifter from an 07 so GDB I am guessing. I have been wondering about the starter. Do you happen to know if my stock flywheel will work with an STI pressure plate? I measured the trans dimensions for the starter and it is real close. I guess I will just have to see. I will test the starter before installing the IC for sure.

The '08~ shifter would fit better.

No you can't mix the clutch parts.

My starter bolted up fine but would not crank the engine.

Edited by fahr_side
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I'd try the starter you have first. I have read that others are using a 5MT starter on a TY856 but for whatever reason mine wouldn't turn the engine. :iam:

So did Fredrik. Much less complicated than our cars due to the engine mounting situation.

Oh wow I didn't realize he took his WRX that far? Did trans issues prompt that or just a bad case of the mod bug?

Hey guys,

Just a heads up. Now that I have confirmed the trans and shifter will work I have my STI STS( the factory one available for our cars)the whole unit, my perrin short shift adapter, and brass bushing. I am not actively selling them, but if any of you guys are in need just let me know.

Spent a little quality time with the dremel cutting things out and it is getting close and will indeed work.:) I also ordered the DCCD controller from DCCD pro. It is set up to work with this switch setup out of the box.

Would it kill you to clean out your cupholders?:lol:

J/k Brendan. Great progress!

I am planning on removing the trans this weekend. I am going to give it a thorough cleaning and sort the wiring for the dccd pro(it should be here in a few days). I am also going to modify the shifter at the same time. Then I will reinstall everything with the clutch as well. I am also installing new control arms in the front at the same time. Once all the front end stuff is done I am going to move to the rear. Drop the subframe and install the new diff. Then it is just the driveshaft and axles to deal with. Edited by BBPeik

Got the transmission pulled out and cleaned up today. Also the DCCD controller came in yesterday. I might start doing the wiring tomorrow. Also another added bonus to my new mounts is that I no longer need the engine brace with the trans out of the car. I can reinstall the mounts after the trans is removed.

20170218_150345.thumb.jpg.43ac0f89aa952ad6b7949a395be2af2d.jpg

20170218_144900.thumb.jpg.5eaecc648695e0399d6eef46b9ff9293.jpg

Edited by BBPeik

Been really busy, but I had a bit of a chance to work on the shift assembly this weekend. I figured out a good way to make it adjustable so I can set it exactly where I will need it. Should have that done in a couple days. I also ordered new front control arms, end links, and a new slave cylinder today.