LegacyGT.com

Brendan's STi 6MT Swap

I believe the gear display can be turned off in our cars.

This would be the easiest solution if it can be turned off.

MT cars don't need a gear indicator anyways. If you don't know what gear you're in by the position of the shifter, you probably shouldn't be driving a manual in the first place, lol :lol:

On the other hand, aren't some of the boost/throttle tables by gear? I suppose those would be nice to have working, but not the end of the world if they don't.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can turn the gear display off through the same menu as the mpg and temp settings through the cluster. I have mine off I don't like it. Hope you get everything working with this swap without too much headache would love to do this myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would depend on the tuner, but I do believe the cobb ots tunes have gear dependent boost targets. You should talk with your tuner and see what they say. I tend to think it could be useful to keep the engine in one piece. But it's also small potatoes compared to getting the trans in and working.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

That is interesting. It makes me wonder if using the gear dependent boost could help with overboosting.

Anyways, it seems like you could always test how it gets the number by putting the car in 3rd with the clutch down, and coasting at an rpm appropriate for 4th by holding the gas down a bit. If it says 4th, you have an answer. I'll try it tomorrow if I remember.

Anyways, it seems like you could always test how it gets the number by putting the car in 3rd with the clutch down, and coasting at an rpm appropriate for 4th by holding the gas down a bit. If it says 4th, you have an answer. I'll try it tomorrow if I remember.

The gear indicator, without a doubt, is calculated based on speed and RPMs. When my OEM clutch was slipping, the gear indicator would vary despite not actually changing gears. Putting it in a high gear, slamming on the gas, and slipping the clutch would make the indicator think I was downshifting as the RPMs rose. Letting off the gas without changing gears would result in the indicator showing the correct gear.

I recall also reading this information quite some time ago, so this isn't really new ground for us. Somehow re-teaching it some new gear ratios would be new, however.

That is interesting. It makes me wonder if using the gear dependent boost could help with overboosting.

Like BBPeik said, the gear indicator won't turn on until your foot is off the clutch. But you can pop the gear lever into neutral (in the middle, not in any gear, foot off the clutch) and coasting will display a gear number if the RPMs are appropriate for a given gear.

It's been a while, so I can't remember all the gear ratios and whatnot. But say at 65mph in 6th gear you're at 2500rpm and in 5th gear at 65mph you're at 3500rpm. So you're coasting along at 65mph in 6th gear, pop the gear lever into neutral, rev the engine to 3500rpm (hold it there) and the gear indicator will display 5.

The gear indicator, without a doubt, is calculated based on speed and RPMs. When my OEM clutch was slipping, the gear indicator would vary despite not actually changing gears. Putting it in a high gear, slamming on the gas, and slipping the clutch would make the indicator think I was downshifting as the RPMs rose. Letting off the gas without changing gears would result in the indicator showing the correct gear.

This is exactly what my GT did when the OEM clutch was on its way out.

Per gear tuning is a great thing to have. Both boost and timing can be adjusted. Had it with my past tuner to keep 5th and 6th dialed back for improved mileage with highway cruising. Not sure Tuning Alliance did it with my current tune but it feels like it. It helps get that last little bit of smoothness out of a tune and keeps the engine happy in all gears. I good tuner should be on top of this capability and be using it in their tunes. Worth it to figure for your trans swap in my opinion. You're going this far, why not :)

Ok so I am in a quandry. I am trying to decide which way to go on this. The question is do I really need the STI hubs? I can get the r180 diff and should be able to use spec b axles. This would be a less expensive way to go since I would not need new wheels. It would be easy enough to swap to STI hubs later if I wanted to. What do you guys think? Yes I know go all the way or go home and all of that, but if I could cut 2k off the bill by keeping my wheels that would be nice.

So pulled a bit of a Whit Wednesday today. Wife was out of town so I went and picked up an STI transmission. Its an 05 StI USDM transmission. Its DCCD with a helical front diff. Picked up the shifter for it also. It is about 2 inches longer than our transmission and you can definitely see the difference between how built the STI trans is vs ours. Comparing the two it looks as if I am going to have to use the bell housing bolts to fab a mount for the engine. Should work real good. Here are some pics.

20170116_174557.thumb.jpg.ce5b146222a8cbba9f12224bd631ec14.jpg

20170116_174606.thumb.jpg.1c90765422f47ebf11329a694ecb1827.jpg

20170116_174647.thumb.jpg.092e31bd9137f69ec0bb0c63854ca698.jpg

20170116_174657.thumb.jpg.6b8541162d96d67dfb2000202d476ded.jpg

20170116_174706.thumb.jpg.603e4fadc5fe3c7b7ce4f63dae9fc64a.jpg

Edited by BBPeik

I knew that SOB would fit. Well gents, the first hurdle is done. Took a while because it is heavy as all hell, but in a couple hours I was able to fit the transmission in. Everything lined up perfect. Trans mount fits like a glove. Next step is to figure out mounts now that the transmission is in the car. Looks like the shifter will fit as well. It is tight though so I may need to mod it a bit. Now its time for a beer. I am beat.

20170117_173234.thumb.jpg.644a778aada085e3de624c558725b43e.jpg

20170117_173417.thumb.jpg.5f522b35bcb1b7db9ae851b970d9789d.jpg