LegacyGT.com

Brendan's STi 6MT Swap

So I finally got around to filling my gas can and bringing home some fresh fuel. Went for the typical couple runs around the block. On my third go around I decided to see whats what. From a rolling start I punched it. There are no words that can describe the change. My car was pretty fast before, but now it is scary fast. You do need to hit 3rd for 60mph but it doesn't matter. It actually just makes it more fun. I shifted easy from 1st to 2nd, but I slammed it into 3rd and the car in turn slammed my ass back into the seat hard as hell. I really cant wait to move and get it registered so that I can take it on some open roads. This transmission will make mountain roads a whole lot more fun.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As requested today I went for a run and did a couple videos. The first is just 20 seconds and it is a run up to fourth gear. Sorry for the bad audio, but it will give you an idea of how quick it runs through the gears. The second is just a video of me driving around for a few minutes with the camera on the outside of the car. What can I say, I was feeling artsy. lol

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzwu6EBnx2DcYklsU2tWbWgtVTA/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzwu6EBnx2DcQ1BJMGk2bFBpRW8/view?usp=sharing

Edited by BBPeik

I am still waiting to get the axle specs, if I can even. That we will just have to wait and see.

Here are the basics.

Transmission

STI transmission and matching rear r180 differential(you can keep factory r160 but will have to regear it)

STI shifter assembly(this has to be lengthened and twisted a bit to make it work, but it fits)also sti shifter mount(rear)

STI clutch assembly

STI slave cyllinder

Reverse and neutral sensors you transfer to STI trans from stock trans

Some kind of DCCD controller. I used DCCD pro and highly recommend it.

Custom rear axles(STI inners Factory outers and a custom shaft)

Custom drive shaft(basically the front section needs to be 2" shorter)

As far as the starter goes: Try yours, if it doesnt work then use STI starter. This seems real hit and miss on wrx swaps. Mine worked, but who knows.

You will need custom engine mounts. Mine work great, but are ugly as sin and I do not want to share the design specs. We really need a professional fabricator to make something worthy of posting here.

Basically that is it.

There will be a whole lot of frustration for you, but it really is not that bad.

Edited by BBPeik

• 1 year later...
just read through this whole thread, not sure how i missed it before, but awesome job both on the project and the write up. how has it held up so far? if you want to share the dimensions of the engine mounts i could work something together in CAD that might be a little prettier

It has held up great so far. Definitely noisier than the factory trans, but an awesome improvement. Unfortunately the only way to give you dimensions would be to pull the mounts. I may be doing that soon. If I do I will be sure to,post pics and details of the mounts. I really should have done it earlier, but I was just too excited to get it all together.

It has held up great so far. Definitely noisier than the factory trans, but an awesome improvement. Unfortunately the only way to give you dimensions would be to pull the mounts. I may be doing that soon. If I do I will be sure to,post pics and details of the mounts. I really should have done it earlier, but I was just too excited to get it all together.

yea i totally understand that, glad to hear the swap is holding up nicely. pics and details would be great if you ever end up pulling them out, but I'm just gland some pulled this off.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
You can't use a 5th 5EAT drive shaft?

I've wondered this as well since that is a solution for the STI trans swap on many other chassis. I do in fact know the 5EAT is roughly 39" in length.

Brendan, any chance you could get a quick measurement on the STI trans?

256337072_5thgen36Rautotranslength.thumb.jpg.8e1642bc064afc430ac1c9e2509d87ed.jpg

• 4 years later...