LegacyGT.com

Brendan's STi 6MT Swap

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So here is my overall plan for the swap. I am planning on buying as late a model as possible STI trans with DCCD and just using a DCCD controller for that. I will also be getting driveshaft, axles, hubs,diff, etc.. Here is the basic plan.

1. Mount trans to engine and bolt up with existing trans mount. Should be possible.

2. Figure out how to mount it to existing mounts

3. Looks like the STI shifter will work based on the measurements that I took already. Might need some fiddling, but should work.

4. Wiring for reverse and neutral sensor should work fine with our harness.

5. Install rear diff. This part is pretty easy.

6. Figure out what I need to do to the driveshaft. Again easy, any mods can be done at the driveshaft shop I use. STI driveshaft is beefier, so I plan on modifying that.

7. Attempt to install the hubs. Not sure how these will mate up to our cars. If they go in I will use them as the STI axles as they are much stronger. If they do not I will take the STI axles and hybrid them with our axles.

8. If I use the STI axles and hubs then I will get some Brembos and new wheels and call it a day.

Thoughts?

My understanding is that the front STi axles will fit into our front hubs with no issue, it's the rears for the R180 diff that don't play with our rear hubs. Gear shifter will take a little work to close up the hole in our trans tunnel, but shouldn't be bad. Only other thing I can think of is that the current gear display in the gauge cluster will not be accurate because of the gearing in the STi trans. Fred has this issue in his 2015 WRX since he put the STi tranny in it. Luckily for him with his platform, it all bolted right up without issue.

Solid plan otherwise.

When you bolt up the trans to figure out the mounting, have the flywheel and clutch figured out at the same time so no surprises require you to pull it back out again.

Brendan, I'm excited to see what you can come up with for this. You are more of a pioneer than I ever was for sure. That said, this has caused the smallest part of me (insert phallic joke here) to have slightly less regret on selling the car.

In all seriousness though, you seem to be taking an extremely intelligent and logical approach that should put you in a position of having a very robust drivetrain.

Edited by jackal8788

I have thought about the gear display, but it might be possible to reprogram the ecu to let it know what gears are in the car. A tuner will need to chime in on this though.

I'm no tuner but, I may be of some assistance in getting it to show the correct gears through wiring. I'm somewhat familiar to the legacy transmission switch that determines the signals sent to the B.I.U. for display of which gear you are in. Not so much the STI but, that's all in the "vacation pics". If you are willing to do some rewiring, I can look into both to let you know what needs to be done if possible. Only reason I know is when I was messing around helping out someone on here put the updated cluster in a GT. That was going from the auto to manual trans of different years and electronics. Ended up not finishing that part do to some CAN bus issues from different components of manual to auto versions. Did get it to display gear numbers on the cluster but, it had other trouble lights come up. If it's just manual to manual, it might just take some moving of wires for the switch.

I'm no tuner but, I may be of some assistance in getting it to show the correct gears through wiring. I'm somewhat familiar to the legacy transmission switch that determines the signals sent to the B.I.U. for display of which gear you are in. Not so much the STI but, that's all in the "vacation pics". If you are willing to do some rewiring, I can look into both to let you know what needs to be done if possible. Only reason I know is when I was messing around helping out someone on here put the updated cluster in a GT. That was going from the auto to manual trans of different years and electronics. Ended up not finishing that part do to some CAN bus issues from different components of manual to auto versions. Did get it to display gear numbers on the cluster but, it had other trouble lights come up. If it's just manual to manual, it might just take some moving of wires for the switch.

I thought it knew what gear you were in based on engine rpm and speed. Not positive though.

You may be right. I was looking at it and found what I was looking for on the auto but, couldn't find it on the 2.5 manual. Hmmm, I swear I had it printed out before. I'll look through it a bit more since some of that stuff is burried in parts of the manual you wouldn't expect it to be.

I thought it knew what gear you were in based on engine rpm and speed. Not positive though.

yeah, that's how it figures out which gear to display. RPM vs MPH.

If you're coasting in neutral and use the throttle to hold the RPMs at a certain point, it'll display a gear number. Same if the clutch is on its way out and starts slipping badly.

There are no sensors/switches in the transmission to sense which gear is engaged.

Not sure if the tables in the ECU are editable, but hopefully there's a solution. Worst case scenario, just stick a piece of electrical tape over the gear display. :lol:

Yeah as far as I can tell the only sensors are the reverse and neutral sensors. Depending on what year trans I get it may have a vss as well, but that is not an issue with our cars so I can just plug the sensor hole or ignore it. Obviously I will hav ethe DCCD wiring as well.

I know that on a lot of cars you can go into the ecu and set the gear ratio, tire size etc. Hopefully this is the case on our cars as well.

I'm not sure if I believe the RPM/mph to gear display theory. At least not on my car because if I misshift from 3rd to 5th it will display 5th despite the low rpm and slow speed. It also doesn't display until clutch is fully released.

I'm not sure if I believe the RPM/mph to gear display theory. At least not on my car because if I misshift from 3rd to 5th it will display 5th despite the low rpm and slow speed. It also doesn't display until clutch is fully released.

I'm not sure I understand your basis for disbelief, you misshift to 5th instead of 3rd but it displays 5th...like it should.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure I understand your basis for disbelief, you misshift to 5th instead of 3rd but it displays 5th...like it should.

Really not much thought put into it. Forgive me...

8. If I use the STI axles and hubs then I will get some Brembos and new wheels and call it a day.

I've got a set of 08+ brembos that I've been sitting on. was saving up for rotors and pads, but I'm still not sure if I wanna put these on since I doubt I'll ever track my GT. If you do end up doing the swap, lemme know if you want the calipers. Seals look good, but the fronts could use a powdercoat.

Only other thing I can think of is that the current gear display in the gauge cluster will not be accurate because of the gearing in the STi trans. Fred has this issue in his 2015 WRX since he put the STi tranny in it.

Don't you guys think Fred or his tuner would have figured this out if it was as easy as swapping wires or changing known tables?

And yes, its the ECU that calculates the gear display's value based on RPM and wheel speed data. There are no gear indication sensors in our transmissions.

I believe the gear display can be turned off in our cars.

The more I look at it, it must use the the wheel speed sensors and rpm. There is nothing else there. I wrote more about it but, stupid phone deleted it. There are programming options but, not sure if gear ratios are in there. Can't manipulate it either as it is all transmitted to the cluster via can bus. Any manipulation on the other end would cause other problems. Programming would be the only way.

Don't you guys think Fred or his tuner would have figured this out if it was as easy as swapping wires or changing known tables?

And yes, its the ECU that calculates the gear display's value based on RPM and wheel speed data. There are no gear indication sensors in our transmissions.

I believe the gear display can be turned off in our cars.

I said it was a table not that it was a defined one, ;)

But that bunch on romraider might be up to the challenge.