LegacyGT.com

Christmas Bonus :-) Opinions on what I should do with it

Hi all, just got a nice Xmas bonus from my work. $3,000. I'm wanting to use it to do some upgrades on my car. Thought I'd ask for some opinions. Maybe someone will suggest something I haven't already thought of.

It's an '08 automatic. Only upgrade I've done so far is a Cobb AP v3. Bought a CAI and took it out, didn't like how it sounded.

So my car is basically a clean slate. I'd like to divide the money up 3 ways. $1k into performance (thinking a new downpipe). $1k into suspension and handling upgrades (sway bar, lowering springs, etc). Then $1k in visual upgrades (window tint, front lip spoiler, etc).

If you guys got an unexpected $3k what fun things would you do to your car?

Save it for a new short block. You'll thank me later.

But if your a gluten for punishment I recommend the following.

Power- Catted downpipe (Cobb,Invidia,Grimmspeed etc), V3 Accessport ots stage 2 map or etune, Grimmspeed top mount intercooler.

Handling- Koni inserts with swift springs, Cobb/Perrin/whiteline 22mm front 20mm rear sway bars, moog endlinks, whiteline anti lift kit kca334, whiteline front roll center kit kca313

And your out of cash but have a quick car that handles great.

Hi all, just got a nice Xmas bonus from my work. $3,000. I'm wanting to use it to do some upgrades on my car. Thought I'd ask for some opinions. Maybe someone will suggest something I haven't already thought of.

It's an '08 automatic. Only upgrade I've done so far is a Cobb AP v3. Bought a CAI and took it out, didn't like how it sounded.

So my car is basically a clean slate. I'd like to divide the money up 3 ways. $1k into performance (thinking a new downpipe). $1k into suspension and handling upgrades (sway bar, lowering springs, etc). Then $1k in visual upgrades (window tint, front lip spoiler, etc).

If you guys got an unexpected $3k what fun things would you do to your car?

$3,000 for me would be this:

Performance - downpipe (400) & custom tune (400)

Suspension & Handling - tires (700), swaybars & endlinks (500), fresh bushings (200), springs (300), alignment (100)

Aesthetics - tint (300), front lip (100) Brakes - good fluid, pads and SS lines, NAPA or other blanks (400)

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

That's a healthy bonus, bud. I don't know what you do but...nice work.

You'll want a custom tune at stage 2 with the auto. OTS maps are'nt ideal with it. You'll get more enjoyment out of an exhaust than aesthetic mods. The stock wheels look pretty weak on the 08 and that's about the only thing worth improving on with a 17x8 or 18x8 wheel. Good tires too, thanks to LatentWagen.

Dip your feet in lightly with the suspension stuff. If you did'nt like the CAI sounds, you might not tolerate a stiffer susp setup either. Depends on the road conditions and climate.

No window tint is gangster, save yourself a couple hundo there.

Downpipe and Tune, then just enjoy her. Put the rest in savings.

or if your fortunate enough to play with all 3k, do your homework and pick out quality parts, A nice Killer Bee Manifold with EWG up pipe, even on stock VF40 will be fun!!

Downpipe, tune, and spend the best on maintenance/reliability modifications.

If there's something sloppy or starting to wear out in the suspension, replace it with something that's a mild upgrade at the same time.

$3,000 for me would be this:

Performance - downpipe (400) & custom tune (400)

Suspension & Handling - tires (700), swaybars & endlinks (500), fresh bushings (200), springs (300), alignment (100)

Aesthetics - tint (300), front lip (100) Brakes - good fluid, pads and SS lines, NAPA or other blanks (400)

^ I like this plan.

I don't know if I'd bother with the front sway, start with doing the rear and endlinks F&R and see if that's enough improvement for you. Then you can either save a bit, or spend it on tint/front lip. Doing the brakes is a smart idea.

Archived