LegacyGT.com

...rust.... Take it to the shop? Or don't worry?

Unless you're a perfectionist just go to a parts store and get the 3 in 1 pen. They normally have a book that shows you the correct pen for your color code. If they don't have the identical match then get something very similar. With a small area like that it won't be too noticeable.

If it's rusting then get a small container of rust converter from the parts store as well.

Ok, more seriously, I just got a touchup pen for my car color from the dealership. One end is a brush and the other end is a pen. It was still fairly inexpensive and I didn't need to look up anything or wait for it to arrive. Super simple.

Touch up paint for something that small imo.

It's not as small as it looks, unfortunately. The area around it is bubbling, so touch-up would just be a Band-Aid.

OP, I would take it back to the shop who did the windshield replacement. They gave you that rust when they scratched the paint replacing the windshield, because they neglected to seal it back up.

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

Yeah, I think I'll grab a bit of touchup paint, rough it up around the area, clean the hell out of it, and apply...

I recently bought the car, and to be honest, it doesn't seem like the windshield has been replaced, but the bubbling around the actual rust has me concerned.

I'll wait until spring time where I'll really be able to take my time with ti and tape it up, sand, then touch up.

Haha, or take Ellesedil's wise words as gospel, and start parting out the car....anyone need parts for a 3.6 Limited?! (just kidding)

to be honest, it doesn't seem like the windshield has been replaced, but the bubbling around the actual rust has me concerned.

Why do you say that it doesn't seem like the windshield has been replaced? Do you have the service and insurance history of the car?

In my experience, car don't develop bubbling rust around the windshield for no reason... chances are that there's a festering rusty scratch in there. Touch up paint won't help for long, but it might cover you for the winter, at least. Would definitely get it looked at if you plan on keeping the car.

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

The rust spot looks like the rock chips I had in that area. I used to have a crowded highway speeds commute and my car ended up with a lot of rock chip especially in the late winter. The salt that is applied to the road builds up in that area so I think it accelerates the rust. I got 2 rock chip on roof edge the 1st winter I owned the car. The 2nd year, the car looked like yours. The 3rd year it started to spider. (I also ended up with 2 more rock chips). I probably should have addressed the rock chips immediately the 1st year with rust converter and some touch up paint. My car was 2 1/2 years old at that point and I was still making payments. I ended up have the windshield removed, the rust sand blasted and repainting the roof. [i also changed jobs and that commute]. It wasn't cheap.

Your car is 6-7 years old. I probably would have been more tempted just to touch it up and manage it, but it will continue to get worse as the salt is probably already pushed up under the paint.

@dgoodhue

That's what I thought, and mine looks almost identical to that. I'll probably go and get it checked out as I'm OCD as hell, and LOVE the car too much to just let it go...though I might wait until Springtime to do it...Thanks for the input.

I get chips in the same area and just found one on the back edge of the sunroof opening. Although not as common as the leading edge of the hood... I inspect for them and touch them up once or twice a year to prevent rust from setting in.

Forgot to answer the original question...I would scrape away the bubbly rust to see how big of an area needs to be repaired, then decide if the windshield is in the way of a fix and whether I could live with a touch up or if the roof needs to be repainted.

Archived