LegacyGT.com

Crazy thoughts or a good idea? Give me your opinion!

With a bit too much free time between graduating and starting my job in January I've had a thought cross my mind that I'm trying to decide if it is a good idea or ridiculous, so with that here's my crazed idea I've come up with...

I have my 05 LGT wagon that's a 5mt, which is relatively heavily modified. Parts list can be found here: http://http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/kids-2005-lgt-wagon-build-198101.html

I also have the 09 spec b which is entirely stock. Since picking up the spec b I have been using it as my daily and keeping the wagon as the weekend car. With that, I've toyed with the idea of transferring the performance mods to the spec b and making it the weekend car and having the wagon become the daily. This is driven by two primary reasons:

1. The 6mt in the spec b can handle more power and makes more sense to be used as the performance/fun car.

2. The wagon is more practical on a daily basis, whether it be taking it to the mountain, hauling larger objects or carry the dog my girlfriend and I will be getting on the next 6 months to a year.

If I moved forward switching the parts between the two cars I'd put stock springs on the kinks currently on the wagon to return to stock height, keep a basic stage 2 tune, and potential sell the spec b interior swap. The spec b would get all the performance mods from the wagon, suspension mods minus the koni/swifts, and I'd switch to some springs on the bilstiens or a coilover setup. I can do the work myself, it's primarily a matter of time.

Mileage wise the wagon has 102k and the spec b has 40k.

So with that, let me hear your thoughts on the idea. What would you do in this situation?

Your idea is completely rational, and would give you a lot of stuff to do during your down time. Might come across things to replace along the way that you wouldn't have thought of otherwise, maybe a seeping hose, whatever comes up.

It is quite convenient in your situation because the parts just swap over, not like you're going into a GD or GR chassis or something crazy :lol:

I say go for it!

Switching the injectors would be easy and you wouldn't have to use the aftermarket fuel rail. If making the spec B wild I would put a bigger turbo on it than the vf52. Leave that on the wagon with a downpipe and mild tune. I would say a nice set of KW coils on the spec and put the Bilsteins on the wagon. Sell the current wagon struts/springs.

Your idea is completely rational, and would give you a lot of stuff to do during your down time. Might come across things to replace along the way that you wouldn't have thought of otherwise, maybe a seeping hose, whatever comes up.

It is quite convenient in your situation because the parts just swap over, not like you're going into a GD or GR chassis or something crazy :lol:

I say go for it!

Thanks for the input, I'm super torn... I'm going to sit down and look at what all can be used on the spec b, what I would need to buy, and what I could sell to figure out what this would cost.

Switching the injectors would be easy and you wouldn't have to use the aftermarket fuel rail. If making the spec B wild I would put a bigger turbo on it than the vf52. Leave that on the wagon with a downpipe and mild tune. I would say a nice set of KW coils on the spec and put the Bilsteins on the wagon. Sell the current wagon struts/springs.

I had thought about that as well, which is a good option considering I sold the old vf40. It would add a little more cost for a new turbo for the spec b and then I'd have the cost of two pro tunes. Not a bad idea on the suspension as well.

Fixed?

I'll keep you in mind if I end up going this route, the suspension setup is truly amazing.

Don't forget the spec has the air pump as well as dual AVCS and VDS. So minimum new accessport and the delete components for air pump if you want a bigger (dom1.5 size+) turbo to fit (maybe phenolic spacers). Also might as well add an el header to the list.

Don't forget the spec has the air pump as well as dual AVCS and VDS. So minimum new accessport and the delete components for air pump if you want a bigger (dom1.5 size+) turbo to fit (maybe phenolic spacers). Also might as well add an el header to the list.

Do you mean specifically 3" inlet turbos, so not necessarily every dom1.5xtr?

You had me concerned because I have a 2.4" inlet 8cm dom1.5xtr that I'm about to put on my '09 OBXT.

OP, crazy thoughts would be swapping the SpecB drivetrain into the wagon and then having a really fun weekend wagon and a 5MT sedan. What you're considering seems very reasonable.

Installed that same 2.4" turbo on a 11 wrx. We used the block off plates though and removed the air pump. Fit great although it did need a minor re-clock a few mm counter clockwise for the sti intercooler flange to hook up a Grimmspeed top mount.

Yeah I have the new accessport on the list of things I would need, probably would do EL headers as well. I'm going to shoot you a text with some questions.

I'm with them on it being a logical swap to preserve the Shrek B. Assuming you have 2 of these cars timing on the 05 was done and turbo rebuild may be next on the list?

Timing belt on the wagon is going to be done in next month, and it has a VF52 with 25k miles that was just swapped in.

OP, crazy thoughts would be swapping the SpecB drivetrain into the wagon and then having a really fun weekend wagon and a 5MT sedan.

You're darn tootin'!

The legendary '05 5MT Wagon! It's a unicorn! It must be preserved! (even though that 5mt transmission is awful lol)

@OP: Sounds like an awesome plan!

Gee, 05 5mt wagon and a 09 Spec B, who else has that combination...

Leave the wagon alone. It's to much fun.

Don't get a dog.

Add mods to the Spec B.

I DD my wagon and use the Spec B for Saturday night's going to diner and whatever. The wagon is the primary go north to VT every winter weekend to ski.

Oh did I say, don't get a dog. It just ties you down.

Get on with life...hint, take up skiing.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Moderators
Sell the spec.b. Buy a cheap but reliable daily driver. Use leftover money to fund STi transmission swap for the wagon. Less work overall, having seen your interior you would basically have a true spec.b wagon with DCCD and front LSD, and you'll have a cheap / reliable daily that can be used if and only if the wagon is down for some reason. Otherwise, daily drive said spec.b wagon unless it's broke.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Gee, 05 5mt wagon and a 09 Spec B, who else has that combination...

Leave the wagon alone. It's to much fun.

Don't get a dog.

Add mods to the Spec B.

I DD my wagon and use the Spec B for Saturday night's going to diner and whatever. The wagon is the primary go north to VT every winter weekend to ski.

Oh did I say, don't get a dog. It just ties you down.

Get on with life...hint, take up skiing.

Haha I was waiting for you to respond given you have the same two cars. I'm keeping the two cars as if for now.

And I already ski, so I'm getting on with life.

Get a 6 speed swap in the wagon and sell the spec-b. Keep the suspension reasonable and daily the hell out of it.

Having owned both cars I couldn't sell either anytime soon given I don't need to. But the wagon is staying as is, I wouldn't be surprised if I try to do a 6 speed swap in the wagon down the road.

Sell the spec.b. Buy a cheap but reliable daily driver. Use leftover money to fund STi transmission swap for the wagon. Less work overall, having seen your interior you would basically have a true spec.b wagon with DCCD and front LSD, and you'll have a cheap / reliable daily that can be used if and only if the wagon is down for some reason. Otherwise, daily drive said spec.b wagon unless it's broke.

That will probably be the route I go with the wagon eventually, but I can't bring myself to sell the spec b, it's pristine, low miles and a rare color so I'm going to continue to enjoy it along with the wagon.

LOL,

Try the Moore Performance Blast Plates on the 5mt. They really do make a difference in how it shifts. If you plan to keep the wagon, they will have great pay back.

Having had both cars for years, I can't see selling ether one of them. Someday...I'm sure I'll end up with a vf52 on the Spec B.

I posted a new link to them today in the various parts sticky up top.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

LOL,

Try the Moore Performance Blast Plates on the 5mt. They really do make a difference in how it shifts. If you plan to keep the wagon, they will have great pay back.

Having had both cars for years, I can't see selling ether one of them. Someday...I'm sure I'll end up with a vf52 on the Spec B.

I posted a new link to them today in the various parts sticky up top.

I'll definitely look into those. Once I start my full time job in January I'll have more fun money and can check those out.

And I'm glad I'm not the only one who would have a hard time selling either car. I'm sure I'll do something similar, Dom 1.5xt-r on the wagon, Spec B inherits the VF52 and so on... Haha :lol:

Hm...I think the wagons are cooler when modded all out. I also see the benefit of using it daily when tame.

Seems like going crazy with the Spec.B is what you want to do deep down. I can't spread my love between two cars, so I would dump the Spec and go crazy with the wagon. Swapping parts around would be fun at any rate.

I don't think any 2.5 Legacies came with dual avcs here in the states. Part diagrams show plastic exhaust cam gears for the 09 Spec at least.

Get a dog. Great fun.

I'm having a hard time coming to my senses to even sell my non running GT so I can see why nobody wants to part ways with their running Spec B's and wagons. I actually wish I got a wagon as well but sedan was what grabbed my attention more since I was in my 20's w/o kids at time of purchase.

Archived