LegacyGT.com

New to me 2007 Legacy spec.B problems/questions

So I picked up a Legacy earlier this week, and there are some interesting things about it. I knew it had some upgraded parts, but I did not know until today just how many.

The Grimmspeed TMIC was a given, as is the aftermarket radiator.

I also found a Turbosmart Kompact Plumb Back BOV and a Grimmspeed boost solenoid. It has an Invida exhaust, which I thought was cat back but it's all the way to the turbo, and the header also appears to be aftermarket.

It also has a Tomioka Racing TD06-20G twin scroll turbo.

Is it possible to have all this with no tune? It also strikes me as odd to have all this money into this car without a boost gauge.

Here's the issues:

Under boost the car seems to stumble a bit, it's not a smooth acceleration. It also idles at about 1000rpm when warm.

I'm going to have a shop that specializes in Subarus take a look at it next week, I was just looking for some thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

I have over $10k into my car (on top of the purchase price) and no boost gauge :D. If he had an Accessport or BtSsM (phone app) he could use that to monitor boost. Although, boost is usually least of my concerns.

Yes, it's possible that the car was tuned on a Cobb Accessport and the previous owner took it with him. It's also possible it was open source tuned and that tune is still on the ECU. Either way I would get it tuned ASAP as soon as you figure out what everything is.

I assume it has larger injectors, but that would be a question for the shop.

From the parts list, it sounds like the previous owner was not skimping with cheap parts. I assume the idea was raised to 1000rpm in the tune.

My thoughts: based on the name brand parts that are installed, the previous owner probably took good care of it, I would get it checked out at the Subaru shop (figure out injectors mostly), and hook up with one of the tuners here for an e-Tune or a local tuner for a dyno tune to make sure it is all running right.

With the Grimmspeed boost controller I'd have to assume it was at least tuned at some point, especially with the amount of mods it has. What did the seller disclose when you bought the car? Where are you located?

No accessport on car?

Would be wise to get one and get a proper tune on the vehicle so you know everything is all set. Some kids are savages when they "trade in cars" taking crap off left and right to make a quick buck screwing the next guy over.

Shoot us a pm and we can help. You have some tune on there,because if not with an ecbs you'd be over boosting on a stock tune and throwing a CEL from boost cut.

-Brian

Contact us for all your tuning and performance parts needs! Etuning the legacy community since 2008!

Follow us on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Keep the car out of boost until you know it is tuned, as said above if it blows your looking at big $$$$$'s to fix.

If your not good with a lap top get a Cobb AP and send a data log to one of the great tuners on here. Your closer to Cyrotuning in CO.

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

contact Dave before you do anything. Really talk with Dave. If you take it to a local shop make sure they don't put the car in boost until they know there is a good MAP in there, seriously listen to what we're saying.

Just see Brain posted at the same time. That's who I use for both my cars, I tend to recommend TA to everyone but since your closer the Dave, figured I give him some love.

If you can PM Brian he's here now ready to help you.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

It sounds like a great 1st 4th gen to have it everything is tuned. This your 1st Subaru or 1st modified Subaru?

It's my first modified turbo Subaru. My wife has been driving a 99 Outback for the last few years, and then we recently got rid of it for a 2013 Impreza Sport. I was really impressed with it so it got me thinking about having a fun car again, in addition to my 2007 Trail Blazer. So I started looking at WRX's. In the search I cam across the Legacy and really liked it's looks compared to a WRX, so I bought it.

Many years ago I had a 1991 Eclipse GST that I upgraded to a 16G turbo and I had an Apexi AFC hooked up to it, and a datalogging program on a Palm Pilot.

I actually was not planning on doing many mods, and like I said, I noticed the intake and exhaust and figured I was good with that. Little did I know what I was getting into.

I am scheduled next week to drop it off at an auto shop that specializes in Subarus, they do repairs and performance stuff. I also plan on calling a speed shop in Reno and see if they want to look at it. Mainly now based on this thread wanting to check injectors and fuel pump to make sure they are up to the task.

What's the best way to get set up with accessport? I will do some searching of course, I am not new to forums, but any advice is appreciated.

Thanks for all the help thus far. I do think it will be a solid car once I get it all figured out. It certainly is a great looking car.

this is all you need to know: contact a trusted tuner, follow their advice. The AP Is very easy to use, and the online articles they publish are awesome.

your tuner of choice will make it VERY easy to get and running on the platform they are most comfortable with and you car will run awesome. I would make sure the car is 100% mechanically sound before investing in any performance mods. This isnt something you want to figure out on your own first time though, TRUST US.

You mentioned being in Reno, I'd suggest popping over the mountains and visiting Travis at Snail Performance to get your tune done. Sounds like the car has a health mod list. Almost gotta wonder if the previous owner had a thread on here.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

So an update.

The car has a Deatschwerks 300 fuel pump and Injector Dynamics injectors. Also found a Crawford Performance Air/Oil separator

I dropped the car off to be inspected. The clicking noise I am hearing is an exhaust leak where the downpipe meets the turbo. The shop is ordering a new gasket and will correct that issue next week.

I also tracked down the guy who did the tune. He said it's a very conservative tune because he did it for the dealership. I will be getting with him as well to adjust.

The clunk I hear when I start the car is the downpipe contacting the sub frame when the motor jumps upon start. He suggested changing out the motor mounts with Beatrush mounts, but I don't see any that are Legacy specific.

Otherwise the car checks out good. The loss of power I felt was actually me hitting the rev limiter. Oops. The clutch issue is also just me getting used to that kind of clutch.

So... so far so good.

forget the beatrush mounts, go with group N mounts. Here are the subaru part numbers so you can either order online or at your local subaru dealer:

group N transmission mount D1010FE000

group N motor mount R D1010FE110

group N motor mount L D1010FE120

• 5 weeks later...
Mounts are in, exhaust leak is fixed. Now to meet up with the tuner who apparently "locks" his tunes. He will not be locking it after I take it to him and he corrects and unlocks his tune.

All accessport tunes are locked I believe. Opensource tunes are not able to be locked as far as my understanding goes and part of the reason for some tuners I know of to choose not to tune opensource and only tune using an Accessport.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

• 3 months later...

So an update.

I have my own Accessport V3 now, and am working with Tuning Alliance. I put the first new map on it today only to have the dashboard light up like a christmas tree. Pulled the codes, the previous owner did a TGV delete. Waiting now for an updated tune.

Also removed the KS Tech intake and installed a Grimmspeed CAI. It looks better and should get some cooler air.

Drive easy until you get your tune dialed in except for what Mike at TA instructs you to do for the data logging. Don't drive hard on the base map. You'll be happy with Tuning Alliance.

Looks like you hit the jackpot with parts and things may have actually been done right.

Archived