LegacyGT.com

5EAT or 5MT

What choice of transmission? (Answer for each model type, GT & STi)  

580 members have voted

1. 1. What choice of transmission? (Answer for each model type, GT & STi)

• GT 5EAT
    • GT 5MT
    • STi 5EAT
    • STi 5MT

But there has to be quality as well as HP quantity, because u might have a rocket but there is no need if u are riding on milk crates for seats because all the money went towards the engine.

Spot on. Might as well include the AWD setup - great as it is, not many car buyers think it's that relevant (it is for me though). Also Subaru have to lift their game on the gizmo options front.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think these will come onboard slowly but at what cost too. As I pointed out earlier, Mazda seem to have gotten the gizmos and the entire package right for the right money, but it still doesnt impress me much, but thats just me.

Ada///M.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Regarding the Legacy:

5MT is the only way in my opinion, why bother getting the GT at all if you're going to get it in auto? Get a 2.5i and save some cash.

The 5EAT is a DRAG when driven back-to-back with a MT. It tests substantially worse acceleration numbers as well, I've seen at least a second back for 0-60 times. I dunno it's sort of like getting the wrx in auto - you have to mod it to get numbers like an MT. Better off modding an MT.

Not sure where you're getting your numbers, the autos I've seen tested are all over 6 sec 0-60. I've even seen a 6.7 sec 0-60. Autoweek got 5.2 for a 5MT. Other MTs I've seen tested are ~5.5 sec.

Driving both bears this out IMO

How do you figure a .2sec difference?

Are you going from posted timeslips? Don't trust em... I've seen doctored timeslips outed on another site.

Seen it & Done it;)

Try a search on the subject!

Here is a little tidbit on how Car-rags test.....MT car will always be tested to a harsher degree.

One magazine quoted a 0-60 time of 5.4 sec (clutch was dropped @ 5200)...ouch:eek:

The majority of the rags are most likely launching around 3200-3500...that is why the avg for the MT is 5.8.

Now when it comes time for the AT test they will just pull up to the line...take their foot off the brake & mash the gas pedal to the floor. That is why the Avg time for the 5EAT is around 6.5sec.

Now make it more of a even playing field Powerbrake the 5EAT to 3k (the max a stock car will allow) & you can take a good 1/2 second off that time:)

On my car I am able to launch the car @ 4200 :)

As I stated before ...yes the MT car...mods being the same will always be a hair quicker.

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

heh

you say ouch for a 5200K clutch drop, but powerbraking at 4200K is " :) "? I frequently use my hardest launches at a relatively mild 3.25K-ish with a really fast slip. 1st gear just kills it. This can be an everyday thing too, if one wants.

The Autoweek numbers are significant data, regardless of the standard deviation, they shouldn't be ignored, 0-60 in 5.2s and 13.95 1/4 mi. I think you're selectively tossing the outlying points for your average or something. Data is data.

When you do something as simple as remove weight and drivetrain losses with a gearbox swap, the product of the sum of those parts is pretty nice. Again, the numbers I've seen bear this out, and it makes engineering sense. People remove small amounts of weight for tangible gains.

I think we've demonstrated that the search button isn't very useful in this instance.

Hey if I take out my spare tire, channge out my battery, remove my rear seat, get forged rims w/ tires, go FMIC, change to a VF34 setup, get Protuned, powerbrake to 4400RPM, and launch..will I have a chance??...Can this subject die already!!! SSEEAARRCCHH, and you will see....

imperator.....whatever...yes the MT is quicker!

I have more data on the car than you will ever imagine....By the way Powerbraking the car as seldom as I do does not stress the powertrain nearly as much as those 5200 drops. My car is set up for it:)

I have used the Gtech Pro ss mounted by the gear selector since the car was purchased in April of 05.

Yes many Gtech's are innacurate but the Pro ss is actually used by several car magazines;)

Here is my data...since your so into the 0-60 times:

Stock 6.0

Stg 1 5.4

Stg II 4.7

Ptne 4.5

If I go back & look I can give out temps & humidity cond also;)

I'm out & DONE!

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

It would actually be a pretty solid and interesting experiment if you could use the same instrument to measure a base 5MT. The delta between the two is more telling than the actual numbers. That would be better than comparing different cars AND different instruments in magazines.

Can u swing it?

Look, the question was what do you prefer and why. I think there are clear performance advantages and said so and explained my reasoning, I'm not sure why people with EATs get bothered.

Also, 2 serious questions:

From the above data: If you have to drop a grand on the tranny and a grand on the stg1 to get to a given performance point, why not save the money and get a 5MT?

Also, I'd like to hear the advantages of EAT from those who made that choice because I am genuinely curious. (Rather than rag on anyone with a 5MT explaining their answer to the question posed in the first post...) Not an unreasonable request is it?

I'm a proud EAT LGT owner...

I can't personally tell you the advantages or disadvantages of a EAT vs. MT performance wise (and don't really care since I doubt I'll ever take mine to a track)

But for me, having the EAT is nice because I always have my Yerba Mate on my way to work everyday. And it's hard enough with the EAT to not spill any with all the pot holes, dips and bumps on the roads here in CO. I know there'd be quite a bit of YM all over my car if I had a MT. (and for those that don't know about YM, it's loose leaf and I drink it in a cup with no lid through a bombilla, so because of the no lid it's sometimes hard to keep from spilling)

I also like that I can install (and have) a remote start. The guy where I had mine installed was telling me that he is buying a new AT just so he can get a remote start.

*Side Note: Someone said that if you're going to get a EAT LGT you might as well just get the 2.5i....why would you do that? Don't wanna get in an argument like those few people did, just wondering...

Ha Ha Ha, this is becoming a bitch session...Honest question?? Honest answer..I have a wife, soon a kid..I need a hand free to beat the child..j/k..I like the EAT for the same reason most with EAT have them..more convinient for the daily driving that I do..Stop and go, easier to hold some coffee and not have to worry about shifting from stoplight to stopllight...

also..I am out!!

This thread is not meant to vent re what is better but more about what U would buy if u had the stock GT & the Liberty/LegacySTi.

That's right. Each one to their own.

There will always be room for both, at least for some time. Perhaps one day manuals will go away like lots of other things. For now there's more than enough demand for both. It would be stupid of Subaru not to provide both options. Sales would plummet if they did and I'm sure they know it.

• 2 weeks later...

The results of this poll are pretty conclusive on the STi front anyway.

More ppl would buy a MT than an EAT and on a Standard GT, I suppose u could call it reasonably even in comparison to the STi figures.

Thanks everyone that polled and made comment.

Ada///M.

I have a 5eat, mostly because I have found it impossible to talk my wife into understanding the merits of stick. I can't even get here to understand the merits of my stick anymore, let alone a car.

But, I am a true sports car enthusiast, and I think the MT is the better option for control and power. But......It is simply not practical for alot of drivers today. Especially with all that is going on in a car and traffic etc. I personally am in sales and on the road alot, and I am often happy I don't have a stick. Even though I am a big proponent of them.

For this car, I am sure the benefits are there, but the differences marginal at best for the everyday driver. If it were a more sporty car, like the STI then I would argue for the MT, but it only comes in stick for that reason.

I like the auto, it is very smooth, the settings show very clear differences in performance which I like alot. Choice is nice if you have to compromise. Only thing additional I wish it had was the setting to adjust the trans like the STI. But again, this car is supposed to appeal to the mass market, not the modder.

Auto is a good choice, and arguably the better choice for most people. MT will always win on performance though hands down.

LMAO, doesnt know my stick anymore..... LMAO Priceless........

The MT Vs EAT will rage forever but U do carry some very valid points for both sides. Thanks for posting.

Ada///M.

PS. Still laughing here... great stuff

LMAO, doesnt know my stick anymore..... LMAO Priceless........

The MT Vs EAT will rage forever but U do carry some very valid points for both sides. Thanks for posting.

Ada///M.

PS. Still laughing here... great stuff

Thanks man...Glad I could give a chuckle..Its true though, once you get married, gonzo it goes. So it is a good thing I like hangin out with my wife too, otherwise. :lol:

Archived