LegacyGT.com

5EAT or 5MT

What choice of transmission? (Answer for each model type, GT & STi)  

580 members have voted

1. 1. What choice of transmission? (Answer for each model type, GT & STi)

• GT 5EAT
    • GT 5MT
    • STi 5EAT
    • STi 5MT

Oh SH*T!!! i can't believe I am brining this thread back to life. LOL

I got an auto basically cause I needed a new car fast (old caddy falling a part) and the local dealer only had one GT, which happened to be an auto. Plus I got a very good deal. I'm stage 1 as of now, and the car seems extremely fast to me, as I came from an 8.5 sec car. From my understanding a stage 1 auto is just a little faster than a stock MT. I'm pretty sure given the same mods the MT will always be a little faster than the AT; however, the differences are probably in the .2 second range.

There are some things i've never been able to figure out in regard to the ageless MT v AT debate.

1. It seems to me that the 0-60 time comparisons are always going to be off cause most magazines drop the clutch on the MT at high RPMS to get the times they quote. I'm not sure if those same magazines powerbreak the autos or not; however, even if they did they wouldn't be able to achieve the same high rpm start. How much of the difference between autos and manuals are simply because of the above?

2. I know autos don't lose boost while shifting. It seems this would make up for some of the lost power because of torque conversion.

3. Just how bad is it to drop the clutch v powerbreak?

4. Does subaru have any official 0-60 times for the auto...can never find any?

Anyway, I'm not trying to prove the AT is faster as i've already admitted it isn't. I've just always wondered how tainted or "fair" the 0-60 times are between manuals and autos. I mean given a rolling start would the MT be that much faster? The consensus from most people I talk to is that for normal cars the auto is slower but because of the nature of turbo cars the difference is minimal .2 sec (no lost boost etc).

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mine is an 06 wagon, so its 5EAT, no MT for you...... I used to have a 5MT 03 legacy wagon and had the clutch shudder issues as well as some TO bearing noise, so I was gun shy about the manual. The 5EAT in my opinion needs a little work so that it has crisper shifting, otherwise its a good box. If SOA provides us with a Spec B wagon, I'm all over it.

In answer to other posts, automatics typically put less power to the wheels due to the torque converter and other loses associted with the drivetrain.

:offtopic: My 5EAT usually lurches out of the garage, but this morning put it in "D" and nothing. Step gently on the gas afraid to rocket across the driveway, nothing. Little more gas and slowly out the garage. Left it running in "Park" to run back inside and grab my cell phone and the car ran fine all the way to work, strange. Car has been sitting for a few days while taking the truck to work, temps have been in the single digits.:confused:

Where does this 0.2 sec difference in 0-60 times come from?

All the published reports indicate 1.0-1.5 sec difference, as is the case in most cars, i.e. tested numbers for WRX, 330ci, and many, many others....

I've read that R&T will powerbrake autos for tests (from somewhere on NASIOC).

The stock 0-60 time for the auto is around 6.5 seconds which is slightly less than a second slower; however once you go stage 1 or 2 the difference greatly decreases. If you get an auto def go stage 1, seems to drop the time by almost a whole second from what people have been reporting around here.

What i'd like to know is if a stock MT and Auto were both launched a 3k, hence equal start, would there be a whole .7 seconds difference or only .2-..4 or so...??? I know for a fact that road and track probably launched the MT at near 4k or so to get 5.6 sec. There is no debating that the MT is faster than the AT; however, in normal driving does that .7 or so difference come into play. I mean if both the manual and the auto were tested using a rolling start what would the times be?

• 2 weeks later...

Not a bad % all around to be honest. The MT in the GT is realistically only a short fav where the STi GT is well in front in MT mode. The clutch is suprisingly soft and easy but the gears are still a little stiff, but Im sure the more KMS I put on, the easier they will be to slot.

Ada///M.

Not a bad % all around to be honest. The MT in the GT is realistically only a short fav where the STi GT is well in front in MT mode. The clutch is suprisingly soft and easy but the gears are still a little stiff, but Im sure the more KMS I put on, the easier they will be to slot.

Ada///M.

Very well said Adam!!!!

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Thanks Flavio......

Like the total number of yr posts too...1007....

Ada///M.

Not quite there as your 4200+ !!! Heheheheeheh

So you going to the Formula 1 race there mate?

Cheers,

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Yeah look for me since moving from EAT to MT you do really notice the difference in the rev range. I think EAT / SMG / DSG systems have really improved over the years and they are getting closer and closer to MT. If I had bought my ///M3 like planned, it would have been SMGII all the way.

Ada///M.

• 1 month later...

I have a 5EAT

I used to drive a stick, and loved it until I changed my job and now have to spend about 30 to 60 minutes in stop and go traffic on a daily basis. :icon_mad: Sport mode is pretty good. I feel like the shifts are quicker than my bros A6.

Archived