LegacyGT.com

Official Firearm Thread V3

SBT

I did a simple ramp job on my buddy's and it's been 100% since.

What did that involve?

I watched a video a couple of days ago where a slight modification to the front of the magazine was made to the (IIRC) Springfield for what sounds like the same purpose.

Norm

It's pretty easy, I just started with some 150 sand paper to the ramp and also to the transition from ramp to chamber. Repeat with 220, and 400 wet. Finally taking some polishing compound and a bluffing wheel on the dremel. I'm weird and only sand/polish in direction with the barrel. Another comment to make is he is using Chip McCormick Power Mags.

A guy at the range hands me this to try, after He shot my .556 7 1/2 pistol

Its a 7.62 7 1/2 folding shockwave & handle

Neat small package

Steve

IMG_0163.thumb.JPG.1aae4cfba34b00ae1657eccaf3d186e7.JPG

IMG_0164.thumb.JPG.2bfac50f41cd24e94a02c445d6fdb1c1.JPG

Edited by Steve ko
Add pics

Learn me some 1911s. Friend has a sig 1911 that he picked up new for ~850, Ruger 1911 lists around 720. Ruger in my experience is reliable and there when you need it, but nothing special. I've got an lc9s that I carry, and my 10/22 is a hoot for what it is. I will probably be waiting a bit since I want to stock up on semi-auto rifles here in MA before Maura Healey bans those too. I'm a red blooded American, so I am required to own a 1911 at some point though.

Or you could move 10 miles north and own whatever you want, not need a concealed carry permit and pay no sales tax.

Also, love me some Piro's pizza, rice balls and everything in the bakery:wub:

Edited by BDII
Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

• I Donated
Or you could move 10 miles north and own whatever you want, not need a concealed carry permit and pay no sales tax.

Also, love me some Piro's pizza, rice balls and everything in the bakery:wub:

I'm in this house for about 5-6 years as I fix it up, and then NH may be on the docket. I'll have to see where I can find something, as I work in Beverly currently.

:lol::lol: you really have shitting on someone parade downpacked..

Sorry but a pistol length barrel on a .308 is stupid and pointless. Trying to burn a 45.0-47.0gr powder charge in a pistol length barrel isn't going to work well.

I'll go one further and outright call most SBR's a total fad that tactical operator wannabe's are obsessed with because they're ******* stupid. If you clear dwellings and do CQB for a living you get good use out of one, and an SBR is a useful tool for that. For everything else they suck. Compared to a regular carbine or rifle they are way more finicky to properly gas. They are far harder on parts. They produce extremely mediocre ballistics. They're super loud without a suppressor. Why would you put up with all that bullshit just to have a shorter long gun for something 99.99999999% of users will never do? It's ******* pants on head retarded.

At my Pat McNamara class last year one of the students asked Pat about SBR's. for those who don't know who Pat McNamara is he retired out of 1st SFOD-D as a Sgt.Maj. He's shot a lot of bad people in the face in CQB. His response to the SBR question was that as soon as he didn't have to put up with carrying a shorty for work, he strongly preferred the regular carbine.

Edited by Penguin

:lol::lol: you really have shitting on someone parade downpacked..

Sorry but a pistol length barrel on a .308 is stupid and pointless. Trying to burn a 45.0-47.0gr powder charge in a pistol length barrel isn't going to work well.

I'll go one further and outright call most SBR's a total fad that tactical operator wannabe's are obsessed with because they're ******* stupid. If you clear dwellings and do CQB for a living you get good use out of one, and an SBR is a useful tool for that. For everything else they suck. Compared to a regular carbine or rifle they are way more finicky to properly gas. They are far harder on parts. They produce extremely mediocre ballistics. They're super loud without a suppressor. Why would you put up with all that bullshit just to have a shorter long gun for something 99.99999999% of users will never do? It's ******* pants on head retarded.

At my Pat McNamara class last year one of the students asked Pat about SBR's. for those who don't know who Pat McNamara is he retired out of 1st SFOD-D as a Sgt.Maj. He's shot a lot of bad people in the face in CQB. His response to the SBR question was that as soon as he didn't have to put up with carrying a shorty for work, he strongly preferred the regular carbine.

Edited by Penguin

I agree with Penguin than the SBR thing is a "fad". I also agree that they are far from the most useful tool in the shed.

I personally find they are fun to shoot. Something different. As I build all my own rifles I also find that the challenge in building one that works properly is half the "fun". I like to tinker. Oh, and a tune-able or truly adjustable gas block is your friend. Different buffer weights and springs help too. Sometimes the dremel has to come out and play as well (blending feed ramps, etc).

I would not recommend an SBR as your primary weapon. But, if you like to collect, tinker or just play with a different "toy" than there is nothing wrong with an SBR.

If I could legally get my hands on suppressors, I could have even more fun.

I agree with Penguin than the SBR thing is a "fad". I also agree that they are far from the most useful tool in the shed.

I personally find they are fun to shoot. Something different. As I build all my own rifles I also find that the challenge in building one that works properly is half the "fun". I like to tinker. Oh, and a tune-able or truly adjustable gas block is your friend. Different buffer weights and springs help too. Sometimes the dremel has to come out and play as well (blending feed ramps, etc).

I would not recommend an SBR as your primary weapon. But, if you like to collect, tinker or just play with a different "toy" than there is nothing wrong with an SBR.

If I could legally get my hands on suppressors, I could have even more fun.

Not only do I agree 100%, but I had the very same thoughts when I saw it. My point is that I didn't feel the need to take a shit or wipe my ass with it. Plus I found your methodology of shitting on things humorous, that all.

Not only do I agree 100%, but I had the very same thoughts when I saw it. My point is that I didn't feel the need to take a shit or wipe my ass with it. Plus I found your methodology of shitting on things humorous, that all.

Current doctrine is that a 14.5 or 16-incher is plenty fine for indoor work, and that the SBR's domain is really that of vehicle deployment.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Current doctrine is that a 14.5 or 16-incher is plenty fine for indoor work, and that the SBR's domain is really that of vehicle deployment.

This. SBRs are for tight quarters, but inside a typical building 14.5 works just fine. Only caveat to that is running a suppressor. SBR + can puts you into the same overall length as 14.5-16.

There's definitely a ballistic penalty with 5.56 SBR, but it's still more powerful, more precise and holds more ammo than a handgun, so they have their uses. None of which are really in the universe of the average civilian. And they are noisy. Note that I prefer 11.5" to the current trend of really short barrels.

7.62x51 SBR is stupid. Something like .300 Blackout, not so much.

They are definitely a popular item these days. When I SBR'd an AR back in ~2001 it was not at all common. Hell, my ATF paperwork came back in ~ 8 weeks! :D

WOW! Didn't mean to create such a stir, just sharing something some people around here like to have as a truck/car gun due to Chicago's happy status.

Pointless or stupid is a little harsh for wanting more punch, but to each is own Right.

Carry on .

Steve

Edited by Steve ko
edit

I have a 14.5" .308 and love it. The 7.5" is probably too short to be reliable even with a lot of tweaking. Lots of gas on that one. Plus the round just keeps going. In the intruder, out the other side and on and on and on. Gotta be careful with that one. But, to each his own. For all I know it could be fun to shoot.

If I were to build another SBR/pistol I would consider a 10.5" .338 Spectre.

The only reason I have a 10.5" 5.56 SBR is so I can suppress it and use it from my car. It's very handy. We're restricted to 5.56 rifle ammo at work.

I built a 8" 300blk SBR for suppression fun because it is just stupid quiet.

The rest of our work (unsuppressed) rifles (all 5.56) are 14.5-16" because it works outside and inside. Ammo works in all. No worries about tweaking anything. We can share mags. Everyone trains on the same platform. Etc.

I did buy a Tavor X95 because I wanted a bullpup and got tired of waiting for the MDR.

Anyways. I got a Ruger LCP on sale recently for my exgirlfriend to carry while jogging. It's a nice, slim, tight package (the gun too ;p )

It's sitting on top of my current pocket gun (Glock 33)

We're not allowed to carry 380s per work policy so I never gave any thought to the little 380s but this thing is nice.

http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx321/chowser51/7E2BE567-81CE-4AB9-A0A6-7753924D6950.jpeg

Just buy a bullpup.

If I had to have a short rifle caliber firearm a bullpup makes quite a bit of sense. Buy a Tavor put a Geissele trigger in it, put a can on the end of it, and an optic. Done.

Same length as an SBR but better in every way.

If I had to have a short rifle caliber firearm a bullpup makes quite a bit of sense. Buy a Tavor put a Geissele trigger in it, put a can on the end of it, and an optic. Done.

Same length as an SBR but better in every way.

http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx321/chowser51/2E32B821-5A21-4C09-923C-7AC133CF1E43.jpg

I swapped to the newer pistol grip when I installed the Geissele trigger pack and lightning bow trigger. I've settled on the .30 cal can so I'm going to pin and weld the mount and get the just released thin buttpad.

http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx321/chowser51/2E32B821-5A21-4C09-923C-7AC133CF1E43.jpg

I swapped to the newer pistol grip when I installed the Geissele trigger pack and lightning bow trigger. I've settled on the .30 cal can so I'm going to pin and weld the mount and get the just released thin buttpad.

Out of curiosity, why are you going to pin and weld the mount? State regulation?