LegacyGT.com

The Cell Phone Thread - So FJuan Stops Complaining

magnusonsubie

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What? Which phones are you referring to that don't do over the air updates?

OnePlus phones run cyanogen (customized version of Android). I'm pretty sure OnePlus is able to push updates to phones, without dealing with carrier nonsense like other Androids do, and I think that's what he's talking about. It's more like a Nexus (or iOS) type thing.

Good to know. All my phones are bought direct. I no longer buy phones from carriers. I seem to change carriers every few years. I remember having issues with Samsung phones on AT&T years ago. My OPO had no service for a while (I was using it on wifi as a mini tablet) and was still able to update it. I'm going to get the OnePlus Three when I get an iPhone 7.

Not to be outdone, will it blend? He doesn't even bother to remove the battery.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DORyTWjqg7U]Will it Blend? iPhone SE - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftuUiXpFhwU]Will It Blend? iPhone 7 - YouTube[/ame]

I was excited for today. But the newly announced Pixel phones seem pretty on par with current tech. I'm kind of excited about the camera performance.

The other products announced have me excited. Google Wi-fi, Home, Daydream, and the new Chromecast.

I'll likely buy the new Chromecast. It's faster than previous gens and Ethernet port support!

I'll wait for the reviews to come out about the others.

I was excited for today. But the newly announced Pixel phones seem pretty on par with current tech. I'm kind of excited about the camera performance.

The other products announced have me excited. Google Wi-fi, Home, Daydream, and the new Chromecast.

I'll likely buy the new Chromecast. It's faster than previous gens and Ethernet port support!

I'll wait for the reviews to come out about the others.

Google Home seems fun. Google wi-fi was meh. Your daughter is on her phone so you turn off the wi-fi to get her to come and pay attention to you at the dinner table? Because data on phones doesn't exist?

Chromecast will be nice for those with 4k tvs. It's funny that being hardwired is a selling point :D

Google Home seems fun. Google wi-fi was meh. Your daughter is on her phone so you turn off the wi-fi to get her to come and pay attention to you at the dinner table? Because data on phones doesn't exist?

Chromecast will be nice for those with 4k tvs. It's funny that being hardwired is a selling point :D

Hardwired is a selling point for me, because Wifi in my condo sucks, especially with the TVs upstairs. They must have some weird wire mesh between the walls/brick/firewalling.

My daughter does use a phone and tablet around the house, and it's only on Wifi. No data or telephone plan. :D

Hardwired is a selling point for me, because Wifi in my condo sucks, especially with the TVs upstairs. They must have some weird wire mesh between the walls/brick/firewalling.

My daughter does use a phone and tablet around the house, and it's only on Wifi. No data or telephone plan. :D

Totally agree. Unsure why a streaming device didn't have a hardwired option.

I'm excited about Pixel, because it's what google should've done years ago.

What do you mean? Priced the same as Samsung and Apple?

I was hoping for something "oh, cool!" in the announcement. Never really had that.

Google assistant - unsure what's different about what my phone currently does. I tested it all and it can do everything that was shown during the release. Except, make a reservation, but I don't have Opentable.

Google home - an always on version of Google assistant. Will be nifty to control it just with voice. But is it that different from connecting your phone to speakers and yelling at it?

Google VR - so a better version of Cardboard? Hopefully this helps the app development for VR. That seems to be lacking right now.

Chromecast ultra is a good update to an existing product. Nothing that needs a news conference though.

If Google Wi-fi really works in multiple rooms / hubs like the advertise and provide a seamless experience that would be pretty cool. Ability to turn off devices with a tap is nice. I used to block my roommates MAC addresses in college when their torrenting was slowing down my gaming. I guess this is an easier way of doing that.

I'm excited about Pixel, because it's what google should've done years ago.

I've been with Google through 3 phones over the course of 6years. I'm gonna pass on the Pixel XL. The cost is way too much. My wife just got the OnePlus3 so I'll see how she likes it. Hopefully by the time my Nexus 6 dies, the OnePlus3 will drop a bit in price

Hopefully by the time my Nexus 6 dies, the OnePlus3 will drop a bit in price

The OnePlus 3 is already probably the best-priced phone for your money. It will only drop when OnePlus is prepping to release their next phone.

I mean, it's a 400 dollar phone that can be compared to other top-flight phones like the S7, which costs 780 dollars new in a box.

My $250 5x is a great phone, as was my $60 moto g before that (both NIB). Still can't figure out why people buy $700 phones. Sure, faster with features, but do i need to wave my hand at my phone to communicate? No.

Surprised this phone thread actually took off. Way to go Juan!

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

The camera on my 5X is pretty good, just wish it could do panoramic shots faster. Looks like they added OIS to the camera and better HDR. Is it worth paying $650+, hell no IMO!

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

The OnePlus 3 is already probably the best-priced phone for your money. It will only drop when OnePlus is prepping to release their next phone.

Yea, I'm just being a lil greedy with the hope that it drops in price, but $400 currently is a great deal. My Nexus 6 is still rock solid so it'll stick around for awhile.

Archived